Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

6 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:
10 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

It's really hard to have a good rules argument when you are both on the same side. <_<

Debating Mordheim v Frostgrave.

Frostgrave is better balanced.

Mordheim more variance and more fun.

So, we are adding location monsters to Mordheim, mostly uncontrolled zombies, plague rats, drunken mobs, and chaos spawn.

For battles with a single objective, guess where the location monsters will be.

Gave it a try last night. Seemed to work.

Also adding a 'We don't wanna fight' rule. Mostly for the gang fight, where both sides just want to get to the other side.

Both Leaders makes a Leadership roll, if both succeeds then neither side gets experience except for 1 point for each leader. If either fails then the fight happens anyway.

Penalties if they are opposed, Witch Hunters vs Sisterhood, Chaos, Scaven, Undead, Orcs. Witch  Hunters hate a lot of people. They don't even get a roll. Orcs v Dwarves, no roll. Two gangs of mercs, meeting in the street? Then you get to roll.

Bonus if they fought on the same side in a multiplayer battle.

Expand   Expand  Expand  

That sounds kinda interesting. I've played both games, and enjoy them both, but mushing them together seems like it would be fun as well. 

I'd love to hear any other thoughts/ideas/problems and resolutions you guys have.

I second this request. Mordheim was our most played game in the 90s. I still have several warbands for it that I use in other games. My major complaint about playing it now is how long it takes to get a result in combat. Roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save, roll to see if you're knocked down or taken out. My major complaint (which isn't really a big one for me) of Frostgrave is that the warbands can be too similar and there's not much to upgrade your crew. Waiting for Stargave to arrive to see how it compares to the others. Have considered trying to integrate some of the things for companions from Rangers of Shadow deep but never get around to it.

• Like 6

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*laughs nervously*  yup, starting up yet another project.  Totally sounds about right for me, although it's one I'm seriously tempted to try and do all in oils.  I just need to think a bit before fully committing to such... 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I am trying to figure out how database software works. It is a whole other level of "WTF am I doing?"

the answer to that really depends on the database software you're using

Some are easy, some really are WTF

and then you have the data models that people put into them, which go from easy to so far beyond WTF that even people with decades of experience go WTF

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Some things you may find interesting (or not) that happened on May 24th:

• 1595 – Nomenclator of Leiden University Library appeared, the first printed catalog of an institutional library.

• 1844 – Samuel Morse sent the message "What hath God wrought" from a committee room in the United States Capitol to his assistant, Alfred Vail, in Baltimore, Maryland, to inaugurate a commercial telegraph line between Baltimore and Washington D.C.

• 1940 – Igor Sikorsky performed the first successful single-rotor helicopter flight.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Zink said:

I second this request. Mordheim was our most played game in the 90s. I still have several warbands for it that I use in other games. My major complaint about playing it now is how long it takes to get a result in combat. Roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save, roll to see if you're knocked down or taken out. My major complaint (which isn't really a big one for me) of Frostgrave is that the warbands can be too similar and there's not much to upgrade your crew. Waiting for Stargave to arrive to see how it compares to the others. Have considered trying to integrate some of the things for companions from Rangers of Shadow deep but never get around to it.

I loved Mordheim, except for facing my friend's vampire lord that needed like four consecutive 6s to take down.  Frostrgrave was great and then Covid.  I have Stargrave and fully intend to play some day, but Five Parsecs From Home is scratching that itch for me at present.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Ah, g'niece Emma just got here and is having waffles. We have her first softball game this evening, so this is gonna be a nice day.

Sounds good!

Have fun!

At WOOF HQ, Oldest Vixen is playing Sims, Youngest is studying, My Girl has worked this morning and is now napping.

Brutus is ( of course) napping, and I'm playing Total Warhammer II and while I wait my turns I work a little on a subterranean base for a mini.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I loved Mordheim, except for facing my friend's vampire lord that needed like four consecutive 6s to take down.  Frostrgrave was great and then Covid.  I have Stargrave and fully intend to play some day, but Five Parsecs From Home is scratching that itch for me at present.

I have 5 Parsecs and 5 Leagues but haven't played them yet. My 14 year old is going through some kind of teenage sulk for a long time now. The 17 year old wants to play things but wants his brother to play too. And we have a 3 year old that wants to get involved in anything we're doing. So over the winter I managed to build, paint and play some Blitzkrieg commander with the oldest but no Frostgrave or ROSD for ages. Kind of sad not getting more games in while living in a house full of people that claim to like games. Haven't started dong solo yet but it's tempting.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Zink said:

Did you see the crew building thing that was shared a while ago? It allows for more varied crews buuuuut I think we're going to see the same crews because of how treasure works this time around. Sadly, there's no real room to improve your crew much beyond equipment, if that.

• Like 7