Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I rarely drink beer, but when I do I tend to avoid Heineken like the plague..

A Grolsch Radler is something I drink quite often during the warmer days but that's hardly beer.

When I do drink beer I will go for a Grimbergen Double or a Kriek Lambiek or a Bokbier.

My sympathies.

Dementia is one of the things I really fear, I've seen it a few times and it's awful.

My wife heard about Kriek Lambic somewhere and wanted to try it. She really dislikes beer but enjoyed it. She drinks it occasionally for special occasions. The only problem is that her favourite flavour is usually sold out leaving the others she doesn't like as much. My go to drink the last couple of years has been apple cider. They've gotten popular lately and I've tried a dozen different ones. Found 2, 1 canadian, 1 american that I really like.

Dementia is very common in my family. So many close relatives of older generations outlived their minds. My dad was bad the last 5 years of his life and died at 85. Some of his aunts and uncles made nearly 100 but suffered dementia for longer. My mom is 75 now and getting worse but still able to live alone in a seniors apartment where everybody helps eachother out. I think I have a 90% chance of going that way too. I'm hoping it won't start for another 3 decades and that I'll have a massive heart attack before I go into a nursing home. It's not an easy thing to deal with but we get what life gives us so you just try to do what you can.

• Like 8

Dementia doesn't run in my family, we tend to live fairly long with no worse than an increased irascibility, but when my mom had that stroke or seizure or whatever it was back in December and completely lost her mind there for a while, it really put some things in perspective, ngl. I always knew it was tough caring for someone in that shape, but I learned that I didn't really know at all. It was incredibly hard to cope. And we were so lucky that in our case it was temporary and Mom was able to recover. Hearts out big time to anybody that has to face it.

• Like 13

Sauntering through the day's history trivia for Saturday, August 7th:

• 1782 – George Washington ordered the creation of the Badge of Military Merit to honor soldiers wounded in battle. It was later renamed to the more poetic Purple Heart.

• 1962 – Canadian-born American pharmacologist Frances Oldham Kelsey was awarded the U.S. President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service for her refusal to authorize thalidomide due to the manufacturer's lack of information regarding the drug's effects on the fetus during pregnancy; she prevented hundreds, if not thousands, of birth defects.

• 1987 – Lynne Cox became the first person to swim from the United States to the Soviet Union, crossing the Bering Strait from Little Diomede Island in Alaska to Big Diomede in the Soviet Union, an event that has been recognized as easing tensions between the two countries during the Cold War.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, TripleH said:

Well, that would explain any fires that may be going on between us.

Funny you mention fires, I was watching the semi-local news (if you call 60 miles east of here, local) & the meteorologist brought up a map of Idaho, the entire state was a blaze! The only patch not on fire was roughly the Boise area. Washington & Oregon were too. He was "Oh, ignore this map, if I hit the wrong button, it does this." :lol:

Hellfire comes to the NW!!! 

• Haha 13

I sat down and set out the fantasy genre minis I've been picking up and I have enough to make four full crews for Ghost Archipelago. I think it's time to pick up some other stuff... :ph34r:

However, I'm going to be working on painting up those minis, putting the super hero stuff to the side for now. Since I'm probably going to be playing some games soon. I hope. :zombie:

• Like 8

Got a visit from friends today.

The woman in question is a longtime friend of mine and she suffers from muscular dystrophy, due to Covid we hadn't seen each other for a long time.

She now weights about 43 kg.

It was great to see them again, especially her, and then she asked my girl a question.

If she would be willing to carry the coffin when the time comes.

My girl agreed.

We hope she will be around for a long time but reality is sinking in, this could easily end within a year or less.

So a bit of mixed feelings. Great to be able to see them again but with the notion that it might be the last time or at least one of the few times we will be able to see her.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 18

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm making chili for dinner.

Just thought you'd all like to know.::D:

So, I ended up not making chili, it turns out we forgot a couple key ingredients. No matter, we'll get them today and make it this coming week sometime.

13 hours ago, TripleH said:

At least your all the way in Texas though I feel for Mrs. Chaoswolf.

We tend to cook large batches, I may freeze some and bring it to Reapercon with me. ::P:

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Funny you mention fires, I was watching the semi-local news (if you call 60 miles east of here, local) & the meteorologist brought up a map of Idaho, the entire state was a blaze! The only patch not on fire was roughly the Boise area. Washington & Oregon were too. He was "Oh, ignore this map, if I hit the wrong button, it does this." :lol:

Hellfire comes to the NW!!! 

The question 'WHY do you have a button that does that?' springs to mind.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Grr. Tax rant. I rant every time. And probably will continue every time.

My team got a "thank you" award at work for putting in 60+ hours each week through May to get some much needed work done. No overtime as we're salaried, although we got to bank some of those hours past certain number. That award included $75 extra in my gross pay.

Of that $75, I got to keep $23. The rest went into government pockets as pure tax. Not social security, or any public net. Pure income tax.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

So, I've got kind of a funny issue....

I ordered 2 fairly inexpensive dining tables from Walmart. To my surprise, there were 3 large flat boxes waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday. After inspecting the labels on the boxes, it seems that somehow, I've been sent 3 instead of 2. 

Since I don't feel right just accepting the extra item, especially since it's a couple hundred dollars, I contacted Walmart's help center about it.

Predictably, I thoroughly baffled a low-level customer service representative until I managed to get across the fact that no, I was not complaining about something I had not received. I ordered 2 things, and got 3 of the thing instead, do you want the extra thing back?

He has escalated the matter to a supervisor, and I'm currently waiting to hear back. I truly think he has no idea what to do with someone trying to send back something they didn't pay for. :lol:

EDIT: The supervisor informs me that the item came from a third-party seller, and that they've contacted that seller on my behalf. The reason listed on the email they sent was: "Return/Replace - Incorrect Quantity Received."

I look forward to thoroughly baffling several more people before this is resolved. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 17

9 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

So, I've got kind of a funny issue....

I ordered 2 fairly inexpensive dining tables from Walmart. To my surprise, there were 3 large flat boxes waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday. After inspecting the labels on the boxes, it seems that somehow, I've been sent 3 instead of 2. 

Since I don't feel right just accepting the extra item, especially since it's a couple hundred dollars, I contacted Walmart's help center about it.

Predictably, I thoroughly baffled a low-level customer service representative until I managed to get across the fact that no, I was not complaining about something I had not received. I ordered 2 things, and got 3 of the thing instead, do you want the extra thing back?

He has escalated the matter to a supervisor, and I'm currently waiting to hear back. I truly think he has no idea what to do with someone trying to send back something they didn't pay for. :lol:

EDIT: The supervisor informs me that the item came from a third-party seller, and that they've contacted that seller on my behalf. The reason listed on the email they sent was: "Return/Replace - Incorrect Quantity Received."

I look forward to thoroughly baffling several more people before this is resolved. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Here's hoping you have better luck than me.  I had to file a PayPal claim to get the rest of my refund for product I'd returned (ordered three, they sent two, wouldn't refund the two properly, that was escalated and ticketed supposedly, and then got them to cancel the third one). 

But yeah, I can definitely understand wanting tor eturn the extra.  I wonder if the company will get return shipping sorted out, or if they'll ask if you want to keep it...  Although I would hope the person on the phone only asks that because of a flowchart. 

• Like 7