Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Inspired by @ManvsMinis trivia postings, here's your random Scottish fact of the day.....today was the Burrymans Day!

Today a man dressed in a suit of seed pods(burrs) walked a predetermined route around the village of South Queensferry. His route was around 8 miles and he received over 20 drams to help him on his way. As he traveled, he was greeted by the shouts of "Hip hip hurray, it's the Burrymans Day! 

Pictures are spoilered due to potential nightmare fuel material. Full story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-58201759

Reveal hidden contents

_119922459_burryman5-pa.png.442811fea2e482b68d17e7f47b40a27d.png_119922347_burryman1-pa.png.241fe9658c14a45e8292b5ad4bfa7153.png_119922353_burryman3-pa.png.9301d6fc6369629cb0b9c2e528639396.png

Saw the pics and my brain immediately went *boing! Rose Float* to my years as a decorator and board member for the 501c3 for our fraternities Rose parade entry.

Nicely done and thanks for the pics/link

GEM

• Like 3

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's nerd conversation:

My 5 year old nephew: "Spider Man is awesome!"

Me: "Batman is cooler than Spider Man."

D: "No way, Spider Man is way better than Batman. His powers are way better. Batman's got nothing on Spider Man."

Me: "Batman could totally own Spider Man. He could buy him three times over. He'd make him shine his shoes or something."

D: "Yeah, that's true."

Me: "He'd like hire him to clean houses and stuff. He'd be like, "Peter, are those your cobwebs over there? I thought I told you to dust this place, man'."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

I forgot something from this morning. And it was more weird than anything else.

I was starting rounds in a very chic-chic building that was built around '09. I walk into the stairwell at the top of the building and see motion on the landing below. I stop and look around. And that's when I see something furry move towards me. I had several thoughts: it could be a rat, a tarantula, and then I thought it was a squirrel. It was none of the above, it was a chipmunk. It took one look at me and vanished under the landing. I... I got nothing. :upside:

• Haha 10

6 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Nothing wrong with that, you can be your own nightlight.

Hey now, I said irradiated not contaminated.  Irradiation of sealed food packages is amazingly preservative and there is no residual activity from the package.  Comments like that cost us some amazing technology.

6 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4lpSFNFUE

This. Is apropos. Sweary, though. A lot of excrement is referenced. No apologies from me if you get it stuck in your head.

I. Do not get to go to Reapercon. Andi has not been able to get his hands on a water systems engineer (that would, apparently, be the person we need to do a survey and make a plan that we would then be submitting to get a permit from the county so we can actually, y'know, call in some guys to do the drilling), because, evidently, they're all out of town or something (... actually, most likely a combo of vacations and whoever's left being eyes-deep in everyone else being in the same *redacted* fix as we are). Andi's left a lot of voice mails. I don't even *censored* know.

I get ranty down here.

... *sigh* I am a very sad, stressed goblin right now.

That's sad and not fair.  Being a city boy I never had to deal with wells except for my job.  If your well is dry due to a dropping water table can you have it sunk deeper without a permit?  I know there's some risk involved but is titan option that would at least get you some water?

In local news, heat is hitting the area pretty bad for the first time this year MD it's uncomfortable.  I suppose I can't complain as it has been pretty mild  this summer but still.   Blah!  I cannot wait for cooler weather.  Looks Iike I spend tomorrow rummaging for melt minis and hiding in the  basement!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

That's sad and not fair.  Being a city boy I never had to deal with wells except for my job.  If your well is dry due to a dropping water table can you have it sunk deeper without a permit?  I know there's some risk involved but is titan option that would at least get you some water?

In local news, heat is hitting the area pretty bad for the first time this year MD it's uncomfortable.  I suppose I can't complain as it has been pretty mild  this summer but still.   Blah!  I cannot wait for cooler weather.  Looks Iike I spend tomorrow rummaging for melt minis and hiding in the  basement!

No, the guys with the drill won't even come out if we don't have a permit. So, we're stuck on step one.

I actually can't blame them for that; I'm willing to bet that whoever did the work the first time didn't have any kind of permit; and the well is /shallow/. Now, it's possible that the engineer will say it's okay to deepen it, but.. apparently, the current Wisdom is that wells need to be 100' from any structures. And I'm pretty sure that well is significantly closer than 100' to the house. So... 

Now, there is an upside to this. It's not much of an upside, but.. it's an upside. If we have to drill someplace else, we can customise the space, upgrade the filter and maybe even put in a little generator for the inevitable power outages we get out here. I'll take whatever small blessings I can get, at this point.

.. and, we don't have to risk traumatising Jasper by taking her on a Fun Road Trip, because, gee, I'm not going to ask someone to feed her pills, even though she's generally pretty good about it (especially if there's a promise of kitty goghurt or gooshifud). So. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Saturday morning... ahhh, smells like the weekend... oh, and history trivia time for August 14th:

• 1592 – The first sighting of the Falkland Islands by John Davis.

• 1885 – Japan's first patent was issued to the inventor of a rust-proof paint.

• 2015 – The US Embassy in Havana, Cuba re-opened after 54 years of being closed when Cuba–United States relations were broken off.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

COFFEE!!

Yesterday I speed painted the dire cabbage and did some greenstuff work. Mostly I needed to gap fill the weird bones monster I made, and also the hound from the Reaper Expo, but because you never mix up the right amount of GS I also did some work on my space gnolls, giving one shoulder armor, another a rock to stand on, and the third a power cable for his mask. Then with the last bit, I stamped a base.

IMG_20210813_143651__01.thumb.jpg.dfbfa48385a61cf0d99b6c1573445b6a.jpgIMG_20210813_161554.thumb.jpg.622c24ccb27b17a24f4b42d123b0420b.jpg

Today will be my first shift working at the coop again. Gonna suck up the whole afternoon...

MORE COFFEE!

• Like 18

15 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

If you're that close to the killer, you're probably doomed anyway. Best option is to get up and punch him square in the face; you may as well go down fighting.

None of this was in the survival guide... I'm just going to stick with the Scream rule set.

@Crowley great to see you back and hobbying! I like the greenstuff work, and that base. Where by chance did that stamp come from?

• Like 6