Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. I have not one but now two friends that are AWOL to me. I'm kind of bummed, as one of them has kept me sane for years. He worked where I worked, not the same job but we interacted a lot, and having him to talk to really helped me. I got moved and he quit his job earlier this year. We've exchanged texts here and there but nothing since July. I don't know what to do. Yes, I could call him but he works different hours than I do, so trying to figure out when to call him isn't easy.

I'll probably just wait until he gets ahold of me. That's usually how this works with me. Nothing but silence for months/years and then we'll talk and everything is good.

• Sad 11

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

Life is short @CaptainPete reach out with a text (maybe on a weekend..?)

I have texted. About once a month. To both of them. One was dealing with wisdom teeth and I forgot to get in touch last month (life got in the way) but we lose touch here and there, he usually texts back after a few. The person I haven't heard from in months is (was?) working odd hours. I texted him yesterday. If I don't hear back, I don't hear back. I can't force stuff like this. I also have something of his that I've been trying to return and... :ph34r:

People come, people go. Such is the way of life. I've done my bit. If they don't want to get in touch, I won't force it.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Every two weeks, I get together with a friend to play a minis game. We switch off whose house we play at, and the host usually gets to pick the game. 

I cannot for the life of me decide on what I want to play when it's my turn in two weeks.  I need to decide ASAP so I can get some appropriate mini painting done. 

My last three choices were a three part 7tv: Inch Hi Spy Fi campaign, and before that 7tv: Fantasy, while he's been running through his collection of games - last night we played Test of Honor, a samurai skirmish game and before that it was Blood Bowl.  

I think I've narrowed it down to either 1) finally trying out CAV:SO,  2) Warmaster or 3) another game of 7Tv:Fantasy

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

CAV:SO for sure.  Big Stompy Robots!!!

*looks guiltily at his many, many unplayed CAVs......*

Another vote for CAV!

image.png.56a2cc43c110f3b29db12ef570620915.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

But then....you won't have candy to eat by yourself..

Not sitting around eating candy by myself might be a boost to my self-image, lol. Technically I'm not alone with Molly and Dixie always at hand for food, but the canine companions can't partake in the candy.

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Mmm, Milky Ways...

One of my least favorite. It's like a Snickers bar without the peanuts, and that's just settling when you really want the Snickers. Now, Milky Way Dark is another story...

And have you ever noticed that, when you buy an assorted bag of candy, the ratio breakdown always has the most of the one type that is your least favorite? Whoppers always dominate the Hershey's assortment (blah), Milky Ways in the Mars Co. bag,, and there are never enough Special Dark in the mini Hershey's bars bag. It's a conspiracy put on by Big Chocolate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

One of my least favorite. It's like a Snickers bar without the peanuts, and that's just settling when you really want the Snickers. Now, Milky Way Dark is another story...

And have you ever noticed that, when you buy an assorted bag of candy, the ratio breakdown always has the most of the one type that is your least favorite? Whoppers always dominate the Hershey's assortment (blah), Milky Ways in the Mars Co. bag,, and there are never enough Special Dark in the mini Hershey's bars bag. It's a conspiracy put on by Big Chocolate!

That's exactly why I like Milky Ways - none of those gross peanuts. 

Other than the dark chocolate stuff, it sounds like you and I could happily share assorted bags of candy. 

• Like 9

Further proof that today is a secret Monday for me:

Email I sent to other techs: "Hey, if you have any written instructions to do price changes on X & Y, please send me whatever you have so I don't duplicate work by typing up my own"

The only reply I get are pictures of the price change menu on each device.  No notes, no text, just photos taken of the LCD screens showing the price change menus. 

That's great guys, but what about the written instructions on how to get to those menus and what each setting means? 

• Sad 7

Just got back from a field day at a large forest/wetland complex built in the last 11 years. When they started this was literally just a table-flat abandoned farm field. Now look at it!

IMG_20211021_114136014_HDR.thumb.jpg.3855cb31e79780572391f0cf3c6084ab.jpg

In the foreground is a burr reed dominated wetland and the trees in back are all around 6 to 10 meters in height. Give it another decade and this is going to be an ecological gem. This isn't one of my projects, but man was I blown away. I even found puffballs already growing in there.

We were out here because our unit has changed personnel quite a bit since the pandemic and a lot of folks haven't met anyone in person. So we all got together here for a meet and greet. Most of the newcomers are management and not technical experts, so I fielded a lot of questions about what we were looking at. Which I took advantage of by discussing all the things in the program we need in the context of what we were walking through. That mostly means drones, I want them to buy me a fancy drone and pay for my training and licensing. Hopefully one of them will think that's a good idea. 

At the end of the day we had a plant scavenger hunt. We used the list of recorded species at the site and then broke into teams and saw how many we could find in twenty minutes. I had a manager and an engineer on my team, not great for plant ID. But we still managed come in second with 42 species. The winner got 43. But they had a botanist, the guy who used to do my job and our bug lady. So I'm still happy with the results. 

Anyways, here's a picture of some Milkweed Beetles. Cheers all and go find some nature. 

IMG_20211021_112316484_HDR.thumb.jpg.20b0dcc3e3448fa073c6f58d01bd2783.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I feel attacked.  I mean accurately described.

Hey, at least we're not gluing other peoples' fingers together... (Well, people that aren't made out of plastic, anyway. Usually.)

• Haha 9