Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

2 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I'm seriously debating about just taping a note to my boss' door that says "F- You, I quit! PS Eat my behind!" I'm just... Tired. There's too much going on right now and they keep making messes and I'm getting tired of being the one to clean it up.

DH complains about his job a lot, but he was actually hired to clean up other people's broccolied up mess and gets paid well to do it.  If business in general  wasn't so broccoli to begin with, he'd have trouble finding work. 

• Like 9

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!

Life is totally insanely busy. Got the NYC Marathon this weekend... Work is slammed, obviously. Waiting to hear back on a job interview I had with another company.... Mostly I need a nap. Or more coffee.

Hope everyone is well!

MORE COFFEE!!

I'm having a difficult time not picturing you running this like Jim Carrey in Yes Man... you know after he drinks all those Red Bulls and then goes on the running/photography class?

Glad to hear from you, good luck on the job interview.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Guitar strings? Copper wire?

Copper wire could potentially work, as it's soft enough.  Guitar strings are too bouncy to do s curves though. 

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Armature wire? Or are you thinking of something plastic? 

I was thinking metal ^_^

5 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I see I've been beat to the wire gag?

Evergreen and Plaststruct both offer polystyrene rods and tubes in various sizes, some very small.

They do indeed, although polystyrene rods don't bend as well (I suppose heat would work, but I'd want to try first) 

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

@WhiteWulfe Wire wrapping wire? Which is basically just very small gauge solid wire, like 30 Gauge, usually available in a bunch of colors. 

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Kristoff beat me to it. Find an old phone charger and use the wires off it.

.... Turns out a friend uses solder, and that's more or less what I was Thi king of.  That or lead wire, with lead wire being a lot harder to find in Canada due to, well, it being lead. 

For those wondering the scale, it's to add conduits and details to large fuel tanks, so it needed to be flexible but relatively large diameter wise...  And then of course able to be primed and painted afterwards ^_^;;;

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Inarah said:

DH complains about his job a lot, but he was actually hired to clean up other people's broccolied up mess and gets paid well to do it.  If business in general  wasn't so broccoli to begin with, he'd have trouble finding work. 

I complain about my job a lot, too, but the fact is that I also get paid well to clean up other people's messes. 

My biggest frustration is really that when I was originally contracted, it was to primarily be writing documentation that would help prevent messes in the first place and/or help people help themselves clean up their own messes.  But I spend so much time cleaning up messes AND engineering spends so much time changing the way things work AND they keep sending me to do installs, I'm so many years behind on documentation that some days it doesn't even seem worth it to write anything at all. 

Might as well just stay on the phone, and spend my writing time complaining here.  :poke:

14 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

.... Turns out a friend uses solder, and that's more or less what I was Thi king of.  That or lead wire, with lead wire being a lot harder to find in Canada due to, well, it being lead. 

For those wondering the scale, it's to add conduits and details to large fuel tanks, so it needed to be flexible but relatively large diameter wise...  And then of course able to be primed and painted afterwards ^_^;;;

Solder would work. Just remember that solder is often very soft, and easy to dent/nick. 

Also, if you're buying solder for modeling, make sure you get solid solder, and not solder with a rosin or flux core or coating. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

The BBQ was a lie!

Not really, it was more a case of misinformation. The cook out happened,  but it was burgers and hot dogs, which was still pretty good. 

I had a bacon, chili, jalapeno popper burger.

I always assume that "BBQ" means "grilled meat (mostly burgers and hotdogs)" unless they're very specific about what's being served.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

I'm having a difficult time not picturing you running this like Jim Carrey in Yes Man... you know after he drinks all those Red Bulls and then goes on the running/photography class?

Glad to hear from you, good luck on the job interview.

HA!! No, I'm running the marathon as in making sure it goes well, not running the 26.2 miles.

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Anyone know what that flexible stuff people use for hoses, wires, and the like in model kits is called?  Not having any luck finding it, so I'm probably using the wrong terms when searching. 

I quoted the wrong post, but you can bend styrene. Just use a lighter & hold it under the plastic for a short while & carefully bend.

Clay Kemp, one of thee best, if not best scale modelers in the world right now did this mod to an existing nascar chassis from revell:

DSCN4615-vi.jpg

Note: Where it's dark is where he has use styrene & a lighter. Pretty damn impressive, especially when you consider the base kit & how plain it is.

5 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I'm seriously debating about just taping a note to my boss' door that says "F- You, I quit! PS Eat my behind!" I'm just... Tired. There's too much going on right now and they keep making messes and I'm getting tired of being the one to clean it up.

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Here's a suggestion:  Next time they hand you somebody else's mess to clean up just refuse, with the explanation that X made the mess, X should be responsible for cleaning it up.

You weren't hired as the company troubleshooter, you aren't being paid troubleshooter wages or benefits, and you are tired of being the company janitor for when other people make messes of their job.

Good Luck

GEM

Been there, but I've survived all these years. I know after what I walked into last work day, some changes might be coming. Since my manager & the ast mgr (she is back from her store training) are more of a visible person, I took pics of certain "problem" areas in the store. They asked for me send them to both their phones & they will bring it up with the "important" people (ie the one in charge of grocery when they aren't there) this Friday.

I do need to talk to her when she has some time. I'm tired of coming every night, going over the frozen dept & facing or bringin up the product in the dept. The guy who works that dept is one lazy PoS, doesn't pull his weight, overall he is just a PoS, plain & simple. I'm tired of covering for him (ie make his dept look nice, even thou he doesn't). I asked this to the groc mgr last week & my response was "Oh, he doesn't have the time...." I looked at him & said "That was the worst answer you could give me.". I proceeded to tell him that when I was frozen mgr, I broke the load down, threw it, & face it. Afterwards I went over to the grocery side, broke that order down & threw & face it as well (of course my co-worker was with me) & to top it off, I went back to frozen & placed the order for it! I stormed off after that. So I'm going to discuss that with her, hopefully something is done as that kid (he in his twenties) needs to grow up & pull his weight in that store. I guess it wasn't so bad when both my co-worker came in at the same time, but now that we are staggered, I get stuck with it 5 out of the 7 days in a week. When you add the rest of the BS that is going on with the way & how are loads are showing up, yah I'm just getting tired of it.

24 minutes ago, Crowley said:

HA!! No, I'm running the marathon as in making sure it goes well, not running the 26.2 miles.

hamster-running-in-the-wheel-picture-id1

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I always assume that "BBQ" means "grilled meat (mostly burgers and hotdogs)" unless they're very specific about what's being served.

But, in Texas "BBQ" means something very specific.  And it's not hot dogs. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

This is a demonstration of the linguistic barrier between regions of the USA.

Anyplace south of the Mason-Dixon Line "Barbecue" has a meaning that does not include hot dogs or ground meat patties.

Hot Dogs or Ground Meat Patties may be "grilled" but that isn't "BBQ".

Please note that a wide variety of sausage products may be on the Barbecue menu, but that does not include the ubiquitous hot dog.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

They do indeed, although polystyrene rods don't bend as well (I suppose heat would work, but I'd want to try first) 

2 hours ago, haldir said:

I quoted the wrong post, but you can bend styrene. Just use a lighter & hold it under the plastic for a short while & carefully bend.

You can also use a heat gun. Rob Hawkins does it regularly with his terrain builds to make pipes. You might even be able to get away with using a hair dryer if you have one that gets hot enough (he goes over the possibility of that in the linked article, though admits he hasn't tried it... neither have I).

• Like 6

I had the first group in the after school game paired with Agent Herringbone 'Please call me Harry' Tweed, a helpful, competent, solid Queen's Man. He and his partner will have their backs. (They have not met his partner - Harry is the face, but the behind the scenes maneuvering will be done by a woman that the team may never meet.)

The second group has Agent Cherog MacMann. Competent, ambitious, and untrustworthy. (If things go as I expect, he will also be dead in three or four episodes.) Not just an Agent and Queen's Man, he is a black hat and a spook, in the CIA sense of the term, a right heavy bowler. The police are nothing more than disposable assets.

The Auld Grump

• Like 9