Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/4/2021 at 8:40 PM, Green Eyed Monsty said:

This is a demonstration of the linguistic barrier between regions of the USA.

Anyplace south of the Mason-Dixon Line "Barbecue" has a meaning that does not include hot dogs or ground meat patties.

Hot Dogs or Ground Meat Patties may be "grilled" but that isn't "BBQ".

Please note that a wide variety of sausage products may be on the Barbecue menu, but that does not include the ubiquitous hot dog.

GEM

South of the Mason-Dixon Line there is a secondary barrier.

Beef or pork?

Eating a Pineapple Ham BBQ Pizza, right now. ::P:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

And what did you have for lunch? I had frozen burritos last night. I had no energy to make anything good yesterday. :lol:

Well we call it jambalaya, but it's not really. We found the recipe in one of those magazine style cookbooks that comes out every month and is on the end cap right near the register at most grocery stores. This was quite a while ago; I don't remember what it's actually called, but it has jambalaya in the title, so that's what it is. Except that it's not real jambalaya, and we know that.

Anyway, it's got bell peppers (red, green and yellow), onions, a jar of Picante sauce, chicken and a kielbasa all cooked together on the stove. If we happen to have some, sometimes we'll put tomatoes in it, too. Once that is all hot, we make brown rice and mix it all together. It's good, and relatively  quick and easy to make.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Well we call it jambalaya, but it's not really. We found the recipe in one of those magazine style cookbooks that comes out every month and is on the end cap right near the register at most grocery stores. This was quite a while ago; I don't remember what it's actually called, but it has jambalaya in the title, so that's what it is. Except that it's not real jambalaya, and we know that.

Anyway, it's got bell peppers (red, green and yellow), onions, a jar of Picante sauce, chicken and a kielbasa all cooked together on the stove. If we happen to have some, sometimes we'll put tomatoes in it, too. Once that is all hot, we make brown rice and mix it all together. It's good, and relatively  quick and easy to make.

I forgive you and deem it "Close Enough Jambalaya" but it's closer to a Creole jambalaya than a Cajun one - Creole has tomato, Cajun does not. But either way, it's in the spirit of jambalaya which is ultimately meant to be "good, and relatively quick and easy to make" and I think that's what matters most... so probably the Rougarou won't be visiting you tonight. Probably.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Cana...who?

<looks around his room>

Well, it's not here...

America's hat, America's cleanup crew....  Those annoying guys at the bar who remind you they won the last time our two countries fought each other - and have kicked American broccoli (while the judge panel was either all American or heavily American) in Tiger Meets as well... 

• Like 9

Let's dive into what happened on November 6th (notable day for musical instrument inventors being born):

• 1814 – Adolphe Sax, Belgian-French instrument designer and inventor of the saxophone, was born.

• 1854 – John Philip Sousa, American composer and bandleader notable for his military marches and helping develop the sousaphone, was born.

• 1947 – Meet the Press, the longest running American television program in history, made its debut.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

*sigh* I really screwed up my plans to get ready for my change in schedule next week. I couldn't get to sleep and then woke up late. Ugh. I'm just mad at myself. I'll have to get stuff done before bed and just starve myself of sleep tonight to get things on track.

I'm also on the hunt for a red metallic paint. I picked up Ruby Red from Reaper, which looks like a metallic on the website, but doesn't look like it in person. Suggestions?

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

For our Heavy Metal fans

image.thumb.png.1b367eb60d97943855a6e1e968415a8c.png

Please tell me that's available somewhere as a 3-D printed miniature.

WOO-HOO!! It's the weekend, I can do whatever I want to!  I can stay up late, party like a rock star, and sleep in!

I was in bed and asleep by 10:30 last night.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2