Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Tuesday Timeline Trivia for November 9th::

• 1620 – Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower sighted land at Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

• 1867 – The Tokugawa shogunate handed power back to the Emperor of Japan, starting the Meiji Restoration.

• 1918 – Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany abdicated after the German Revolution, and Germany was proclaimed a Republic (beginning the Weimar Republic).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

I’ve blogged about painting, posted a Minivember thread, put the pot roast in the slow cooker for dinner, read a couple of chapters of The Eagle of the Ninth, and gone out for a 2.75 mile walk, so it’s already been a good day.  The Primary Amazon is supposed to be delivering The Silver Bayonet, Joseph McCullough’s new Napoleonic monster hunting rules, today.  If that creates a sudden disturbance in the painting queue, so be it.  (I wonder which Muse is responsible for the Napoleonic monster hunting portfolio; I usually figure that Clio — for history — and Calliope — for epic—split the job of providing my inspiration…)

• Like 9

Making chili for the first time, using Grump's 'easy' recipe.

Easy isn't the word for it, I think I could do this while comatose.

Burger, canned tomatoes, canned beans, chili powder, chopped ontion.

Adding chopped peppers, to keep myself awake.

Then class while it turns into food.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

Making chili for the first time, using Grump's 'easy' recipe.

Easy isn't the word for it, I think I could do this while comatose.

Burger, canned tomatoes, canned beans, chili powder, chopped ontion.

Adding chopped peppers, to keep myself awake.

Then class while it turns into food.

Suggestion for next time:

When you are cooking the meat season it with Carne Asada seasoning.  Gives the meat additional flavor before combing it with the other ingredients.

GEM

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Got an offer from my local car dealer to test drive a $200k car. Wife says no. I tend to agree. 

How long do you get to "test" it? 

I did donuts in the Lowes parking lot with the last car I test drove.  :) 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

On 11/8/2021 at 5:54 AM, WhiteWulfe said:

This week is going to feel weird with a stat holiday in the middle of it.  On the flipside though, it means I can stay up a touch later on Wednesday, and don't have to have a 4am alarm go off... 

My team and I have to work. We were going to ask for the morning off to go to services at the hall in town, but there's nothing on the town announcement board about it, so they probably cancelled it again this year. 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Yep. 

Don't worry about me too much. At this point they are kinda funny... in a sad and pathetic way. Part of me wants to rage at them, but the "sweet troll" side says to stay polite and let them make dicks of themselves. Pretty lame on their part that literally a single click from me sends them into fits! And I can wait on friends to point out their bad attitudes ;) 

Behold my great power as the great Wicked Witch, Slayer of French Egos! One touch of a finger and they become inconsolable messes! 

But like... I can deal with their nonsense. I feel bad for the next person to incur their wrath. Jerkoffs like them are why people, especially women, leave hobbies

So the drama continues. Stay tuned and bring your popcorn! 

And this is why I try extra hard to bring women in and make sure that they have a good experience. It's also why I don't go to game stores to play games.

19 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

So, an update on the Saga of the Well, as I suspect a few of you are either worrying or curious. 

We still have no well. We do, however, finally have a permit (technically, we have two. One to drill a new well, and one to decommission the old one). So, we can now start interviewing drilling companies for the thrilling privilege of being paid to drill a new well for us. And test the water (apparently, there's a lot of arsenic being found in local water? WTF?!?), and all the rest that goes with that.

And, in other news, our ISP has finally gotten around to installing the fiber they've been promising us for.. er.. six years now? 'Oh, yah, we'll have fiber in your area by the end of the year!' says the cute young person at the desk when we asked. Six. Years. Later.... we should have Better Internet by the end of the year. It might be a very good Yule. I can hope.

Booster shots are kicking our sitzbones, and the weather is lovely (raining, cool, my favorite!), and... well, other than All The Things that went wrong, things are pretty good.

There was also a huge screw up involving the Colorado river and a flood of water from a huge gold mine. Because arsenic is used in gold mining. So, there's a few reasons why.

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

249091370_2886769854917299_3661322361969707723_n.jpg.97a2b35c39ae43857526b846630e288f.jpg

And roll up their windows. I actually have a story I'm working on that shows that humanity would be a scourge on the galaxy if we ever got off planet... :ph34r:

I had a bad night last night and got home to a jury duty summons. At least I get paid tomorrow?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

How long do you get to "test" it? 

I did donuts in the Lowes parking lot with the last car I test drove.  :) 

Last time they handed me the keys and requested I come back in an hour or so. So… maybe enough to do a quick mountain trip.

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Observation:

I don't need a car payment that is bigger than my house payment.

Don't even think about the bill to insure something like that.

GEM

Hmm. It would be twice the cost of the other five cars together. And that’s already high because of car #5, which is the cost of the other four cars combined. 

The list, as I’m sure there are some raised eyebrows: my Jeep, wife’s Jeep, son’s Civic, daughter’s Altima, and then the yellow streak.

• Like 7