Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Based on what I've seen from Texan "immigrants" to Denver, I can only imagine. :lol::lol::lol:

Many many years ago, I hired a tech who had just moved from TX to the SE Denver area over the summer.  On our first fall snow, we had about an inch of snow on the ground, and he called me on my cell saying there was too much snow for him to drive to work (which was in the NE Denver area).  What he didn't realize was that I lived about 5 minutes away from him, so I knew exactly how much snow was on the ground and how bad the streets were. He was not happy when I told him I would swing by and pick him up.  Kind of forced him to learn how to drive in the snow. 

in my case it's less not knowing how to drive on it and more not trusting other people. Around here that 1" of snow is going to have probably a dozen vehicles slid off the road and stuck in a ditch, and at least 3 collisions I'll drive past on the 30 miles into work.  Couple that with the fact that our roads maintenance has some plow like attachments for the big dump trucks and mostly deal with ice and snow by tossing some sand on top and yeah....

• Like 9

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a greatish day. Not a word, but I no longer care as it is day 9 of the work week, with at least 6 more to come. I should be looking for  new job, but I no longer care. 95% of the jobs in this area are manufacturing jobs, which I have 0 interest in. My youngest son was in an accident last week, he is fine paramedics checked him out, but I guess the car is done for. I am not a car person, but the wife knows a former student who knows a lot. He says that since both air bags deployed, it will cost more to repair just that then the car is worth. We are still waiting on everything though, so who knows what their insurance will do. in the mean time we are done a vehicle. meaning he has to get home from school and take me to work and the wife will have to come pick me up from work tonight. I did get to play with a friend on Destiny 2 last night, so I had some fun, but I just do not want to work on my pbp adventure, nor do I want to work on the fantasy campaign, or paint or do anything other then sit in my chair with my 'shadow' laying next to me. Anyways, I have taken up enough of your time. 

• Sad 14

On 11/14/2021 at 8:01 AM, haldir said:

Oh you know, late truck - giant load here. You know same sheep, different day 

This was actually an inside joke at my (now previous) job.

There was a period of time where us folks in the shipping dept. would often handle the material handling duties for the filling dept. when their guy was out sick, on vacation, or just busy with other things. Or sometimes when they were setting up a job and needed the components right away we'd just bring them straight out to the line instead of staging them. And then one of our guys was yanked to perform that role full-time after the last material handler left, and is currently training the two new guys they've hired for it.

Which meant that, eventually, instead of just paging the material handler when they need something, they often began to page us. The new people just didn't know any better, and always paged us.

The majority of the filing dept. is Hispanic, and thus several times a day you'd hear:

"Sheeping to line five! Sheeping to line five!"

We'd roll our eyes and say, "Same sheep, different day".  :rolleyes:

On 11/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

I was at work yesterday and me and the boys were hanging around, talking, waiting for the trailer to be moved. I suddenly realized there was a bulge in my back pocket and I said, "What's in my back pocket?" expecting it to be a mask or tissues or something. Nope. I pulled out a pair of pink panties and held them up for everyone to see. I laughed so hard. "Who is redder, me or these panties?"

You do know those go on before the pants, right?

Having done Rocky Horror for nearly a decade, that's also happened to me more than once, and I'm a guy, lol.

Well, most of those were black panties, but still... ::D:

(Also, I enjoy the looks on peoples' faces when they ask me, "Umm... Why do you have a red plaid schoolgirl skirt in your glove compartment?" )

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Monday's moments in history for November 15th:

• 1738 – William Herschel, German-English astronomer and composer, discoverer of Uranus, was born

Well, at least somebody can find my <bleep> without a map and a flashlight... (It's been that kind of morning so far...)

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Many many years ago, I hired a tech who had just moved from TX to the SE Denver area over the summer.  On our first fall snow, we had about an inch of snow on the ground, and he called me on my cell saying there was too much snow for him to drive to work (which was in the NE Denver area).  What he didn't realize was that I lived about 5 minutes away from him, so I knew exactly how much snow was on the ground and how bad the streets were. He was not happy when I told him I would swing by and pick him up.  Kind of forced him to learn how to drive in the snow. 

I still remember the Rocky Horror mini-convention in Allentown when we got a very early snow and the wind was blowing it sideways... And a guy from one of the California casts was standing at the window with his head cocked to the side, watching the snow and asking, "Is it supposed to do  that?"... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 13

In other news, it seems the high winds and rain that southeastern Connecticut got on Saturday actually included four tornadoes...

Of course, they were just three EF-0 and an EF-1 (eh, we never really get the bad ones anyway), but it's unusual for us to get them this late in the year.

• Like 7

Got a fun one for you:

I show up for work, get set to a place I was told I couldn't work out but they put me there anyway. While we're getting things figured out, we can't get ahold of the guy who's there. Work phone, personal phone, another work phone. Nada. My boss and I get there, find the phones, the radio, and the keys sitting out, but everything else locked up. We ask the person at the desk and no one has seen him since before 9pm. It's a quarter after 11 at this point. He also had another set of keys but no sign of those. We conclude that he just walked off the job and didn't bother to tell anyone.

Cue me going to the bathroom over an hour later. In order to get to the bathroom, you have to go through a common room with couches and stuff. I'm in a hurry and go to the bathroom. When I get out of the bathroom, there's the missing guy. Just sitting there. On the couch. Staring at the window. Having seen this horror movie before (really, take your pick), I have A LOT of thoughts. I call out something like "(coworker) is that you?" He says it is, like really calmly. Cue that horror movie soundtrack, I swear. After I point out that it's an hour after he was suppose to leave and we've been looking for him FOR HOURS, he starts acting normally. I can confirm that he wasn't drunk. And he's in a ton of trouble. My guess is that he set that stuff down, went to the bathroom, and then sat down on the couch. And then fell asleep. I didn't check the place because I worked at this place for two weeks, several years ago, and had to ask where the bathroom was. It wasn't until I got there that I even remembered that the room existed. And I didn't see him when I walked to the bathroom because of a wall that blocks the view of the couch on the way in and is on the other side of where the bathroom is.

So, yeah, I was glad I had gone to the bathroom first, because I probably would have let go with how odd he was acting. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 9

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Well Monday, we're off to a good start. Let's keep it that way, please? 

I'm going with the idea that they sent it by sub under the arctic ice. 

At this time of year, they could almost have sent it by sled over the top (A team of Canadians and Soviets did that once in the 1980's) 

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Colonel Kane I hope things will improve soon for you!

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-15 185452.jpg

Thanks Glitter. I can not go into more details as it is a heck of a story and one I am not sure I could tell in a Family friendly forum. More for the fact that it is a complex one requiring multiple NPCs to tell in its entirety. I have been at this job for 10 years this month and to say I am ready for something else is a slight understatement. not because of my customers, but more because of the corporate setting it has become over the last 10 years. Sure it has always been a corporate setting, but the last few years and with my foolish ascendancy to a assistant store manager has pushed me to my edge. It has happened before, being pushed to my edge, but I was not an assistant then either. I am trying to hang in there, but I am very unhappy with the current set up. The are a few other things that have happened that are not helping matters either, but I really do not want to talk about them. 

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Dagnabit Monday!

Dealing with a problem that is either an insidious and really bad bug in the code OR a customer was at the site and used their card three different times in three different bays over the course of the day. 

it is a Monday and since the 'holidays' are upon us, it tends to amplify the 'Mondays'.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Colonel Kane said:

Thanks Glitter. I can not go into more details as it is a heck of a story and one I am not sure I could tell in a Family friendly forum. More for the fact that it is a complex one requiring multiple NPCs to tell in its entirety. I have been at this job for 10 years this month and to say I am ready for something else is a slight understatement. not because of my customers, but more because of the corporate setting it has become over the last 10 years. Sure it has always been a corporate setting, but the last few years and with my foolish ascendancy to a assistant store manager has pushed me to my edge. It has happened before, being pushed to my edge, but I was not an assistant then either. I am trying to hang in there, but I am very unhappy with the current set up. The are a few other things that have happened that are not helping matters either, but I really do not want to talk about them. 

You don't have to talk about stuff.

Just know that things will improve, it always does.

Me and lots of other forumites will be thinking/praying/crossing our fingers for you.

Hang in there!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

You don't have to talk about stuff.

Just know that things will improve, it always does.

Me and lots of other forumites will be thinking/praying/crossing our fingers for you.

Hang in there!

The one bit of 'good' news, is I went to the doctor last Thursday and since February I have lost 42 lbs. She asked if the weight loss was intentional, I told her no it was more because my schedule changed when I became the assistant, more days, longer shifts. She is a little concerned I had to blood work today, so we will see what the labs come back as. 

• Like 9