Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Oh boy, landlord waited till 24 hours before to send notices that he needs to inspect smoke detectors tomorrow. That's long enough notice to be legal, but it means my evening plans have all been replaced with nonstop cleaning, and stashing all the minis so they don't knock them over. 

I'd make a note of the exact time the notice was received, and not let anyone in until the full 24 hours has passed.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Which would be funny if it didn't mean I would need to take off a full day of work to do it.

So notify your landlord the exact times you will be available and cite the short notice as reason why no further accommodation is possible.

GEM

Unless of course the landlord wants to compensate you for lost wages/work time.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

So notify your landlord the exact times you will be available and cite the short notice as reason why no further accommodation is possible.

GEM

Unless of course the landlord wants to compensate you for lost wages/work time.

Yeah that doesn't work.

The law allows him to enter without me there if there's 24 hour notice. Hence why I would need to take time off if I wanted to be petty about it. Because I would need to stand in the door until 24 hours after notice. 

• Sad 6

Am supposed to be painting. But forgot I signed up for a secret Santa with some friends. So side quest it is! Sculpting a set of the original 8 pokemon gym badges and going to paint up one of those electronic Pokedex that I got an extra of when I did my trainer cosplay years ago. First badge down. Might switch the reflection to the other side but I'm pretty sure I'm done with it.

20211114_192430.thumb.jpg.6185067582cc420774f998c07a3687d7.jpg

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Yeah that doesn't work.

The law allows him to enter without me there if there's 24 hour notice. Hence why I would need to take time off if I wanted to be petty about it. Because I would need to stand in the door until 24 hours after notice. 

Add this to the list of why people don't want to live in New Jersey.

GEM

• Like 6

Last night, after I left work, one of my coworkers 'attempted' suicide.

In an obvious, public, and easy to stop way. Standing there, with one of our kitchen knives, going 'I'll kill myself! I really will!' - and it was not even a sharp knife - a serrated bread knife we mostly use for coring lettuce - dull with a round head, and shallow round serrations.

To kill himself with it, he would have had to saw for a while.

This same coworker has also had the cops called on them when they were yelling at a customer, last month.

Unfortunately, he also goes out of his way to make the lives of those around him miserable.

Worse, trying to commit suicide in an obvious, public, and easy to stop manner does not mean that they won't really try to commit suicide in the near future.

I want to sympathize, but this is someone that should never have been made an assistant manager - it is a stressful, stressful job - and there is a reason I turned down that same position. I strongly dislike this person, which is making even compassion for him difficult..

And he was released, rather than held for observation, which ticks me off - this is not stable behavior,it may have been a plea for attention, but that does not mean that at some point he won't really make an attempt.

I suspect that he is supposed to be on medication, but I also suspect that he isn't taking it.

I don't care how short handed we are, and how busy the police are - he should have been taken into custody for observation.

The Auld Grump - Hell, he was part of why I turned down the position in the first place.

• Sad 19

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Last night, after I left work, one of my coworkers 'attempted' suicide.

In an obvious, public, and easy to stop way. Standing there, with one of our kitchen knives, going 'I'll kill myself! I really will!' - and it was not even a sharp knife - a serrated bread knife we mostly use for coring lettuce - dull with a round head, and shallow round serrations.

To kill himself with it, he would have had to saw for a while.

This same coworker has also had the cops called on them when they were yelling at a customer, last month.

Unfortunately, he also goes out of his way to make the lives of those around him miserable.

Worse, trying to commit suicide in an obvious, public, and easy to stop manner does not mean that they won't really try to commit suicide in the near future.

I want to sympathize, but this is someone that should never have been made an assistant manager - it is a stressful, stressful job - and there is a reason I turned down that same position. I strongly dislike this person, which is making even compassion for him difficult..

And he was released, rather than held for observation, which ticks me off - this is not stable behavior,it may have been a plea for attention, but that does not mean that at some point he won't really make an attempt.

I suspect that he is supposed to be on medication, but I also suspect that he isn't taking it.

I don't care how short handed we are, and how busy the police are - he should have been taken into custody for observation.

The Auld Grump - Hell, he was part of why I turned down the position in the first place.

It should be noted that a person in this observable mental state is a danger, not just to themselves, but to those around them.  That includes customers as well as co-workers.

If it were me, I would be making my concerns known to senior management.

And yes, restaurant management is extremely stressful, right behind Air Traffic Controllers in burn out rate,

GEM

Stay alert.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

You haven't lived here long enough to see how badly this place looses it's collective mind if we get more than 1/2" of snow...

If it's at all like any of the other places I've lived in the south, I can probably imagine.

• Like 9

Just finished watching AEW Full Gear ppv, yes watching! Damn thing finally recorded a ppv for me. Overall, a good show thou with them stopping in Virginia this Weds, kinda figured who'd win the world title (challenger is from there). Still, it was just nice to watch 'rasslin with no freakin commercials. That right there is worth the cost in itself, ha ha.

I will admit, when I started the recording, I didn't think I got it, as it was dark but that the way their ppvs start, darkness delay, then the FBI warning & then the show. I'm just happy to finally recorded one after 2 failures.

• Like 12

So tonight my homebrew club saw the return of our monthly competition for the first time since before the pandemic. We've only recently gone back to in person meetings (with precautions) but the club officers waited to bring back the monthly competition until they were sure folks were comfortable coming back. Tonight's category was for "smoke and roast" which is typically a pretty wide open range of beer styles. I was initially planning on skipping this month, but it just so happens I have a chocolate porter with tons of roasted barley character on draft right now. So I headed on down (thank goodness for Uber) and decided to enter a beer. Well it turns out that a lot of folks were excited to start competing again and we had over 20 entries this time (those poor judges). I didn't figure I'd place in that big of a field because there are a lot of great brewers in the club. But in the end I did place. In fact, I won!!! 

I'm pretty stoked, especially since it comes with a $50 gift card to the local homebrew supply store of my choice. Anyways, cheers all!

I maybe a little tipsy right now.

• Like 15