Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

23 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Was supposed to do my first solo run for work tomorrow, but current forecast is calling for freezing rain and sleet, over a foot of snow, and winds up to 100 km/h (62.5 mph). Looks like it's going to be canceled, though I chafe at the delay at getting librarians their books.

This sounds like Saskatchewan is trying to one up Alberta and Manitoba in the weather department.  You have my condolences.

• Like 9

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Based on what I've seen from Texan "immigrants" to Denver, I can only imagine. :lol::lol::lol:

Many many years ago, I hired a tech who had just moved from TX to the SE Denver area over the summer.  On our first fall snow, we had about an inch of snow on the ground, and he called me on my cell saying there was too much snow for him to drive to work (which was in the NE Denver area).  What he didn't realize was that I lived about 5 minutes away from him, so I knew exactly how much snow was on the ground and how bad the streets were. He was not happy when I told him I would swing by and pick him up.  Kind of forced him to learn how to drive in the snow. 

A year and a half ago in late April I ripped a bunch of the trailer wiring off under my pickup driving on the road after a snow storm. It takes more than that to stop most people around here. A few inches is just normal winter driving.

50 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This sounds like Saskatchewan is trying to one up Alberta and Manitoba in the weather department.  You have my condolences.

Such a nice day today even with the rain this morning. We're supposed to miss the worst of the snow but not really looking forward to the predicted 90 kph winds. Luckily I don't need to be out in it tomorrow if it is bad. Hopefully it'll all be over by Thursday when I need to take the MIL to Regina for cataract surgery.

• Like 10

I think I just figured out why the stores are putting out Christmas Decorations so early.

It's a plot to crash the electrical grid by encouraging people to put up even more lights than before.

This has been confirmed by the commercial for the Big Blue Box Hardware Store I just saw.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I think I just figured out why the stores are putting out Christmas Decorations so early.

It's a plot to crash the electrical grid by encouraging people to put up even more lights than before.

This has been confirmed by the commercial for the Big Blue Box Hardware Store I just saw.

GEM

This is the year —of all years— to delay Christmas by Twelve Days. 

As per the song. 
Make Christmas a 12 day span beginning Dec 25th. 
It is 11 extra days for containers to turn up. 
This year is the one for retailers to just dial it all back, not be in such a rush to treat Christmas Day as a deadline, and stretch it out. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TGP said:

As per the song. 
This year is the one for retailers to just dial it all back, not be in such a rush to treat Christmas Day as a deadline, and stretch it out. 

This sounds like Ukrainian Christmas in a nutshell.

• Like 9

Tuesday's Timeline Trivia for November 16th:

• 1855 – David Livingstone became the first European to see the Victoria Falls in what is now Zambia and Zimbabwe.

• 1904 – English engineer John Ambrose Fleming received a patent for the thermionic valve (vacuum tube).

• 1938 – LSD was first synthesized by Albert Hofmann from ergotamine at the Sandoz Laboratories in Basel, Switzerland.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, TGP said:

As per the song. 

I heard a report yesterday that there are 65 container ships anchored off the California Coast waiting for berth space at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

That's an awful lot of containers just floating at anchor.

Ships are anchored as much as 100 miles offshore.

And - there are gigantic stacks of empty containers sitting in the ports waiting to be shipped back to China for another load.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Uh oh, sorry wallet.  One of my favourite companies just announced they're doing a Jesta conversion, to make it a Jesta Cannon.  Sure, there are already a few kits that do this, but they essentially copy the design of the P-Bandai one, this one is noticeably different... Aether-MG-RGM-96X-Jesta-Cannon-Conversio

(pic taken from Museigen Hobby's listing of the kit.  Link to original source not included due to forum rules) 

Yeah, that is one sexy Jesta, with cannons that look lethal, and a nice Sniper rifle of some kind to go with it too. 

Looks noticeably more menacing than the P-Bandai Jesta Cannon, that's for sure. 

I'm still rather tempted by their Barbatos conversion, which turns it into more of a dynasty Warrior. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I heard a report yesterday that there are 65 container ships anchored off the California Coast waiting for berth space at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

That's an awful lot of containers just floating at anchor.

Ships are anchored as much as 100 miles offshore.

And - there are gigantic stacks of empty containers sitting in the ports waiting to be shipped back to China for another load.

GEM

I saw a news article on this the other day, saying that at this point it's not that the port of LA is processing slower than normal, it's actually been operating at over 100% it's historical maximum.  The problem is that American importers and retailers are bringing stuff in at a rate that far exceeds historical demand, and the big ports of entry are struggling not to get back to full strength but actually to increase beyond what they needed before.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

I saw a news article on this the other day, saying that at this point it's not that the port of LA is processing slower than normal, it's actually been operating at over 100% it's historical maximum.  The problem is that American importers and retailers are bringing stuff in at a rate that far exceeds historical demand, and the big ports of entry are struggling not to get back to full strength but actually to increase beyond what they needed before.

I've been wondering about this for a few days. Was this problem slowly building up and inevitable?

Sure COVID disrupted shipping for a while, but even prior to that I recall frequent issues with overcrowded/understaffed ports with piles of shipping containers going nowhere fast, and estimated waiting times continually getting worse.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I've been wondering about this for a few days. Was this problem slowly building up and inevitable?

Sure COVID disrupted shipping for a while, but even prior to that I recall frequent issues with overcrowded/understaffed ports with piles of shipping containers going nowhere fast, and estimated waiting times continually getting worse.

I remember reading something sometime in the last year or so (likely linked from some KS that was again explaining why their products were still not shipping) that said basically that this had been building since something like 2016.  Covid just accelerated the issue, rather dramatically.

• Like 9

Hey All.

Wow two days in a row. I hope everyone is doing great, or as great as you can. I know not everyday can be great or even good, have to have some crappy ones in life somewhere. 

I think I know why i like creating new fantasy worlds.... it is a major distraction for me, it gives me something to focus on, other than the semi crappy times. I started a .new, world, but it has because just a rehash of the last one. got to thinking about things and I have always tried to set up a new world and try to have all these possible adventure hooks laying about every where. 

My PbP that has well it has kind of died, I hate to admit that, but I have not shut it down, but my fire to run it has dwindled to a match size flame. Part of my problem is, while I have a direction of where I am going, I am kind of lost. One it is a Sci Fi setting and I am not  use to it and two, I feel like my direction is not as clear cut as what I want either. 

Anyways. I am more or less rambling, so I should get to working on something. 

• Like 10