Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow's gonna be fun.   :zombie:

Instead of spending the day job hunting or shopping or cooking (all of which I need to get done), I'm going to be spending the first part of it having Adventures In Plumbing...

I'll be replacing two of the circulators on my furnace, which, although it won't require any soldering, is going to be annoying as hell because of where the bolts on everything are located...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

Tuesday Timeline Trivia has to be posted a bit early as I've got a too early day tomorrow, so here it is for November 23rd:

• 534 BC – Thespis of Icaria became the first recorded actor to portray a character on stage (from which we get the English word thespian).

• 1924 – Edwin Hubble's discovery, that the Andromeda "nebula" is actually another island galaxy far outside our own Milky Way, was first published in The New York Times.

• 1963 – The BBC broadcasted An Unearthly Child (starring William Hartnell), the first episode of the first story from the first series of Doctor Who, which is now the world's longest running science fiction drama.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

<sigh>  Six to eight months ago, the last working dial up modem I had for my PC died.   Given that the effort to procure a new modem that would work with the Point of Sale systems I service wasn't really worth it for the number of customers I had in the US that still have only dial up remote access, the decision was made by my client and I to forego that.   I sent out a notice to all my affected US customers, and some actually took action to upgrade to internet remote access. 

So now, at least once a week I get assigned a service ticket for a Canadian site that only has dial up remote access, and I have to reject the ticket.  And of course, each time I reject the ticket, I have to explain why.  The dispatcher is getting annoyed by my high reject rate of tickets, but the powers that be haven't reversed their decision, which is fine by me. 

I just reviewed my phone bills for the last three years, and as I suspected, I wasn't getting this many dial up service tickets before I lost my modem.  It's like not having a modem was suddenly a signal for all of these dial up customers to suddenly have problems, too.  I wonder who is going to break first? Me, from listening to the dispatcher whine that I'm rejecting the service tickets; the powers that be to quiet the dispatcher; or the customers still on dial up? 

In less whiny news, I completed this glass piece for my office recently: 

IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.930305776f2559be954c5e6561b857f8.JPG

It's my first art piece. 

I now want to do something similar with one of my D&D characters. 

• Like 22

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I wonder who is going to break first? Me, from listening to the dispatcher whine that I'm rejecting the service tickets; the powers that be to quiet the dispatcher; or the customers still on dial up? 

If past experience is any guide, it won't be the customers.  My money's on the powers that be caving to the dispatcher...

Also... once you have your new modem, THEN the customers will upgrade

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

<sigh>  Six to eight months ago, the last working dial up modem I had for my PC died.   Given that the effort to procure a new modem that would work with the Point of Sale systems I service wasn't really worth it for the number of customers I had in the US that still have only dial up remote access, the decision was made by my client and I to forego that.   I sent out a notice to all my affected US customers, and some actually took action to upgrade to internet remote access. 

So now, at least once a week I get assigned a service ticket for a Canadian site that only has dial up remote access, and I have to reject the ticket.  And of course, each time I reject the ticket, I have to explain why.  The dispatcher is getting annoyed by my high reject rate of tickets, but the powers that be haven't reversed their decision, which is fine by me. 

I just reviewed my phone bills for the last three years, and as I suspected, I wasn't getting this many dial up service tickets before I lost my modem.  It's like not having a modem was suddenly a signal for all of these dial up customers to suddenly have problems, too.  I wonder who is going to break first? Me, from listening to the dispatcher whine that I'm rejecting the service tickets; the powers that be to quiet the dispatcher; or the customers still on dial up? 

In less whiny news, I completed this glass piece for my office recently: 

IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.930305776f2559be954c5e6561b857f8.JPG

It's my first art piece. 

I now want to do something similar with one of my D&D characters. 

If it was me I would be having a conversation with the dispatcher explaining that the next ticket they send you for a dial-up only customer will trigger a complaint to HR for harassment, that will be copied to every executive up the line the dispatcher has been complaining to.  Two can play the whining game as easy as one, and since you have the facts on your side it's a big loose for the dispatcher and an indication of somebody who is not paying attention to their job.

Good Luck.

GEM

Addendum:  I would be willing to wager that the ones still on dial-up are more likely to be using old cell phones on 3G, which is soon going away because the cell tower operators are soon going to be shutting down their 3G systems as obsolete.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well Day 17 is here, just waiting to go to work. I should have the next 4 days off, yet the other assistant called in sick on Sunday and was still sick yesterday. I am scheduled to close with him tonight, so we will see. I hope I have tomorrow off because I have to go to Tulsa and help my son pick out his new car and drive it home. He does not like driving in big cities. As of right now, the schedule has not changed, so here is hoping for the next few days off. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

If past experience is any guide, it won't be the customers.  My money's on the powers that be caving to the dispatcher...

Also... once you have your new modem, THEN the customers will upgrade

TBH, I'm surprised the PTB haven't caved yet. 

I was also surprised that so many of my US customers bit the bullet and made the conversion.  I'm down to a handful.  I think it's because I basically extorted them.

I have an old Win XP laptop I can pull out and fire up to dial up - but the thing is so old, and setting it up is a pain that takes 45 minutes to do - so all dial in remote service I do is by appointment only, and they have to prepay 1 hour of service to book that appointment.  I point out that if they already have internet on site, the remote access module will pay for itself in just a couple of remote access sessions. I then give them a choice - I'll do one dial up session at no charge as a customer courtesy, IF they purchase the remote access module right then and there. So far, most of them have bit.

I could try that with Canadian customers, but it will just increase my workload and isn't really in my contract terms, so nope. 

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

If it was me I would be having a conversation with the dispatcher explaining that the next ticket they send you for a dial-up only customer will trigger a complaint to HR for harassment, that will be copied to every executive up the line the dispatcher has been complaining to.  Two can play the whining game as easy as one, and since you have the facts on your side it's a big loose for the dispatcher and an indication of somebody who is not paying attention to their job.

Good Luck.

To be fair, the dispatcher is not a tech, and doesn't really have the means to determine whether a site is dial up or not when she's assigning the ticket.   The pushback from her is really about the grief she gets from the customers and from the other techs when she can't balance the workload.  I almost always have good reasons to reject tickets, but that doesn't make it any easier for her when I do. 

TBH, the whining from her on the dial up calls doesn't bother me that much, simply because she doesn't give me grief when I reject the calls from <deleted> at <deleted> because that broccoli broccoli drives me absolutely bat broccoli crazy when I have to deal with them. 

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Addendum:  I would be willing to wager that the ones still on dial-up are more likely to be using old cell phones on 3G, which is soon going away because the cell tower operators are soon going to be shutting down their 3G systems as obsolete.

For a few of them, you're probably right. 

But I know for a lot of them, it's more about having spent all the profit the business made on themselves, instead of re-investing it into their business. I can't tell you the number of owners with one or two sites who live in huge houses in expensive neighborhoods, drive expensive cars and have the latest smartphones, but supposedly can't afford to do an upgrade until they are absolutely forced to.  Most of those types would be absolutely shocked at the houses of some of my biggest customers - for example, the guy here in Des Moines who has 25 automatic washes (and is building another eight) lives in the same modest farmhouse just outside the metro area that he bought 3 decades ago. 

• Like 7