Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this is a “General fantasy” topic, really, but it’s a quiet day, and I am musing about organizing miniatures into some sort of settings.  I am wondering if I have been painting more 1/72s than metal 25s lately because they have a (self-)defined setting that I am filling out, and the 25s are just sort of hanging there.  (Bones, unfortunately, are in even worse shape, with things painted being pretty much random…)

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's a weird kind of a day. It's a short week, so my excitement for the coming holiday weekend is building, but it feels strange to be looking forward to the weekend on a Tuesday.

That is how you do Tuesday properly.

And I just got another Jeopardy question correct from today's daily trivia. Hopefully you all who read and watch did too.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

TBH, I'm surprised the PTB haven't caved yet. 

I was also surprised that so many of my US customers bit the bullet and made the conversion.  I'm down to a handful.  I think it's because I basically extorted them.

I have an old Win XP laptop I can pull out and fire up to dial up - but the thing is so old, and setting it up is a pain that takes 45 minutes to do - so all dial in remote service I do is by appointment only, and they have to prepay 1 hour of service to book that appointment.  I point out that if they already have internet on site, the remote access module will pay for itself in just a couple of remote access sessions. I then give them a choice - I'll do one dial up session at no charge as a customer courtesy, IF they purchase the remote access module right then and there. So far, most of them have bit.

I could try that with Canadian customers, but it will just increase my workload and isn't really in my contract terms, so nope. 

To be fair, the dispatcher is not a tech, and doesn't really have the means to determine whether a site is dial up or not when she's assigning the ticket.   The pushback from her is really about the grief she gets from the customers and from the other techs when she can't balance the workload.  I almost always have good reasons to reject tickets, but that doesn't make it any easier for her when I do. 

TBH, the whining from her on the dial up calls doesn't bother me that much, simply because she doesn't give me grief when I reject the calls from <deleted> at <deleted> because that broccoli broccoli drives me absolutely bat broccoli crazy when I have to deal with them. 

For a few of them, you're probably right. 

But I know for a lot of them, it's more about having spent all the profit the business made on themselves, instead of re-investing it into their business. I can't tell you the number of owners with one or two sites who live in huge houses in expensive neighborhoods, drive expensive cars and have the latest smartphones, but supposedly can't afford to do an upgrade until they are absolutely forced to.  Most of those types would be absolutely shocked at the houses of some of my biggest customers - for example, the guy here in Des Moines who has 25 automatic washes (and is building another eight) lives in the same modest farmhouse just outside the metro area that he bought 3 decades ago. 

Financial advisor Dave Ramsey states that IHNSHO you should only be buying new or expensive cars when you already have your first million in the bank.  Too many people IMNSHO want to live the lifestyle before they actually qualify, so they live beyond their actual means instead of having a modest but comfortable [and relatively stress free] lifestyle with enough reserves to be able to fully support their business.  These are the people who will grow their business to the point where it will spin off enough free cash to actually support the "lifestyle of the rich and famous", and won't fold up for lack of financial support should the principal die.

As for the dispatcher not having the means to determine whether a customer is dial-up only, it only takes a 30 second [or less] verbal inquiry and response to make the determination.

The customer can then be notified that due to their obsolete system, there will be a delay in processing their ticket, eliminating their complaint later about not getting the fastest response time.  A little thought into how the complete system works can eliminate a lot of the unwarranted broccoliing, reducing the stress levels for everybody on the service team.

GEM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

For some reason Megan's Fire has decided that it does not enjoy posting images here....

image.png.79d931e59027f21f5ae87b369ef9265d.png

image.png.991a57ed8166783a57b7eb46c96d6e19.png

By Drunken Dwarf.

The Auld Grump

I LOVE that motor carriage!

Crud! For $2 on sale it's mine!

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 4

What Happened Wednesday for November 24th:

• 1859 – Charles Darwin published On the Origin of Species.

• 1877 – Anna Sewell's novel Black Beauty was published.

• 1973 – A national speed limit was imposed on the Autobahn in Germany because of the 1973 oil crisis. The speed limit lasted only four months.

Safe and healthy travels to anyone traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2