Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Wednesday, you're making a pretty good Friday so far. Let's keep up the good work. 

14 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

As for the dispatcher not having the means to determine whether a customer is dial-up only, it only takes a 30 second [or less] verbal inquiry and response to make the determination.

LMAO. 

Have you not read my stories about our customers? I doubt most of those who are still on dial up would even answer the question right, and worse, some who aren't on dial up would answer that they were.  The following paraphrased exchange is one I've had way too often and why I believe that idea wouldn't work:

Me: So what model teller do you have?

Customer: (says brand name)
Me: Yes, but which specific model? We have several.
Customer: The white one. 
Me: Every model we've ever made comes in white. Can you give me the serial number, that will tell me?
Customer: I'm not on site - it has a keypad and a card reader. 
Me: Ok, so it's not a Touchscreen model, that eliminates about a third of of the possible models, but still leaves over a half a dozen. Does it have cash acceptors?
Customer: Yes.

Me: Ok, that eliminates two more models. Do you have a picture of it you can send me?
Customer: I don't know how to do that
Me: (Thinking: really, in this day and age, you don't know how to send a picture via your smartphone?). Let's try a different tact - how old is your teller?
Customer: I don't know, we've only owned the site for 5 years. (alternate:  I don't know, I've only been the manager here for 6 months). 

These conversations can continue on in several different ways before I figure out what equipment they're calling about, but you get the drift.  The database does show what model(s) of equipment were shipped to sites, but many times sites are shipped multiple pieces of equipment, and we need to know specifically which one they're calling about.

Keep in mind that every model of teller shipped after late 1999 has the model name somewhere on the face of the unit in letters at least an inch high. 

The dial up vs internet connection info is in our connection software - the service ticket database doesn't pull from that database. That feature has been requested, but hasn't been implemented. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

My dad gave me some bad news yesterday, my mom, who is 73, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and he had to put her in a home.  I can't believe he kept this from me, I talked to her on the phone just a few weeks ago, she just didnt seem that far gone.  I know she had some mild dementia, but I had no idea it had gotten this bad.  She does not recognize anyone anymore 😢

I have a sad. 

Due to Covid, I dont even know if I will be able to fly over the Atlantic to visit next year.

• Sad 23

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Ah Wednesday, you're making a pretty good Friday so far. Let's keep up the good work. 

LMAO. 

Have you not read my stories about our customers? I doubt most of those who are still on dial up would even answer the question right, and worse, some who aren't on dial up would answer that they were.  The following paraphrased exchange is one I've had way too often and why I believe that idea wouldn't work:

Me: Every model we've ever made comes in white. Can you give me the serial number, that will tell me?
Me: Ok, so it's not a Touchscreen model, that eliminates about a third of of the possible models, but still leaves over a half a dozen. Does it have cash acceptors?

Me: Ok, that eliminates two more models. Do you have a picture of it you can send me?
Me: (Thinking: really, in this day and age, you don't know how to send a picture via your smartphone?). Let's try a different tact - how old is your teller?
Customer: I don't know, we've only owned the site for 5 years. (alternate:  I don't know, I've only been the manager here for 6 months). 

These conversations can continue on in several different ways before I figure out what equipment they're calling about, but you get the drift.  The database does show what model(s) of equipment were shipped to sites, but many times sites are shipped multiple pieces of equipment, and we need to know specifically which one they're calling about.

Keep in mind that every model of teller shipped after late 1999 has the model name somewhere on the face of the unit in letters at least an inch high. 

The dial up vs internet connection info is in our connection software - the service ticket database doesn't pull from that database. That feature has been requested, but hasn't been implemented. 

I've read every one and almost every time I shake my head and think "I couldn't do your job.".

As technology becomes more complex some of these people are going to be left behind simply by their own inability to function in a technological world.

The alternative is the level of "hand holding" from your manufacturers and distributors is going to have to increase exponentially to keep these analog people functioning in a digital world, a situation which isn't really fair to your customers who actually do understand how their equipment functions unless service goes to a two tiered pricing system.

The response to the ones who aren't in a position to identify their own equipment needs to be "Call me back when you are on site and looking at the suspected malfunctioning equipment.".  Otherwise these time sinks will continue to negatively impact your productivity.

Good Luck.

GEM

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Citrine said:

My dad gave me some bad news yesterday, my mom, who is 73, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and he had to put her in a home.  I can't believe he kept this from me, I talked to her on the phone just a few weeks ago, she just didnt seem that far gone.  I know she had some mild dementia, but I had no idea it had gotten this bad.  She does not recognize anyone anymore 😢

I have a sad. 

Due to Covid, I dont even know if I will be able to fly over the Atlantic to visit next year.

I am sorry for your sad news.  Only the people who are dealing with an affected person on a day to day basis can understand the magnitude of mental deterioration involved, as the person with Alzheimer's can "pull it together" at various levels when dealing with somebody they don't interact with closely.  I know this because I am dealing with this situation with my wife.  It's difficult for her to keep track of what day of the week it is and she will even argue with me when I check both my computer and phone and actually show her the date, day, and time from an external to our house source.  Her verbal communication skills are deteriorating, with holes where the object she is thinking about making it difficult for her to convey her needs and wants.  Basically, I'm having to do much of the thinking for both of us.

Your father has walked this same path but is much farther down the road than I currently am, and I have the utmost sympathy for him.  May God be with all of you in this difficult time.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Sad 10

15 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Those are cool.  I rarely see nice cobblestone bases with good details like storm drains. 

I just recently picked up a copy of the plague doctor ghost... It looks like it's going to be fun to paint, although a bit hard to attach to the base.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

is it so many customers that it would be infeasable to just list them on a post-it?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Those are cool.  I rarely see nice cobblestone bases with good details like storm drains. 

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

I just recently picked up a copy of the plague doctor ghost... It looks like it's going to be fun to paint, although a bit hard to attach to the base.

I know!

Test it on the base, tracing the outside with an ultra thin Sharpie.

Make a thin noodle of greenstuff, then squish it along the base or the bottom of the ghostie.

Put a thin bead of super glue on the other bit, right where the greenstuff will go.

Press them together, it hardens faster than straight greenstuff, but you have time to mess with the fit. ::):

• Like 5

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

LMAO. 

I feel that there should be a flowchart to deal with these kinds of things.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Those new Reaper Xmas paints look great.  Such a massive pity they're only being offered during winter...   I'd buy them but I don't want ten bottles of frozen paint to show up. 

Happy to see that none of the Christmas minis are new this year. I think I may even grab everyone of those at ReaperCon (metal bin shopping). Also, happy that you can pick up triads vs a set, thou I think they might have a better chance of surviving in the set with the foam. Oh wait, they no longer use foam in the cases, just a rack that does hold the paint firm in shipping...<_<.

I agree with you in regards to cold weather & paint. Reaper should do a "Christmas in July" sale for paint.

Well, I'm off to bed for a few hours before work tonight, supposedly we have a rather large order tonight (why...oh wait nevermind......<_<) + where I'm breaking the loads down right now might be cluttered with a table of pies from the bakery, since they chased me out of the backroom with all the junk we got a few weeks ago (yes, they haven't cleaned it up yet...shocking!) + who knows if PoS will show up or not tonight, it's always a gamble with him. If I don't pop on tomorrow, everyone that is celebrating, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving with family & friends or even if you just popping in a Turkey tv dinner into the microwave! Stay safe, everyone!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, haldir said:

I agree with you in regards to cold weather & paint. Reaper should do a "Christmas in July" sale for paint

They actually did this year, so here's hoping it happens again next year.  It's twenty below here, no way am I ordering paint even from a city over let alone a country (doubly so when I can't choose to pay for overnight shipping and an insulated package) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1