Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy thanksgiving and happy Thursday to everyone! 

21 hours ago, Citrine said:

My dad gave me some bad news yesterday, my mom, who is 73, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and he had to put her in a home.  I can't believe he kept this from me, I talked to her on the phone just a few weeks ago, she just didnt seem that far gone.  I know she had some mild dementia, but I had no idea it had gotten this bad.  She does not recognize anyone anymore 😢

I have a sad. 

Due to Covid, I dont even know if I will be able to fly over the Atlantic to visit next year.

Watching my father disappear like that was one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced. I can’t even imagine how awful it must be for the person it’s happening to.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

FWIW I asked about this a month ago, because KS5.5 paints are also supposed to ship in January or February which is when we get our arctic weather, and I was told that the paints seldom freeze during delivery, and if you do get a bad one you can get it replaced.  

They've given me that line too, and then I point to my graveyard of paint, some of which has frozen even in early fall when we didn't even have freezing temps yet... And it's why I only order paint during very specific timeframes.  Them being willing to replace doesn't stop one from getting a firm punch to the guy when what you were waiting to show up (and probably had immediate plans for) wings up being frozen. 

• Like 7

Grump turkey is best turkey.

Leftovers will not be a problem.

The cats were staring intently at the oven at about 6 AM.

Sammy on his doggy bed, fast asleep.

Even George thinks this is the best turkey he has ever tasted.

So far no one has touched my casserole, it's all about the turkey, mashed taters, and stuffing.

I'd complain, but that's my plate too.

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

They've given me that line too, and then I point to my graveyard of paint, some of which has frozen even in early fall when we didn't even have freezing temps yet... And it's why I only order paint during very specific timeframes.  Them being willing to replace doesn't stop one from getting a firm punch to the guy when what you were waiting to show up (and probably had immediate plans for) wings up being frozen. 

They're Texans.

They don't really GET the concept of winter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 11/24/2021 at 11:41 AM, Citrine said:

My dad gave me some bad news yesterday, my mom, who is 73, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and he had to put her in a home.  I can't believe he kept this from me, I talked to her on the phone just a few weeks ago, she just didnt seem that far gone.  I know she had some mild dementia, but I had no idea it had gotten this bad.  She does not recognize anyone anymore 😢

I have a sad. 

Due to Covid, I dont even know if I will be able to fly over the Atlantic to visit next year.

I understand how this feels, although not having it kept from you. We are watching my own mother at 70 start to slip a little, although mostly due to medications she was on for a while we think, and not actual dementia (I hope) and I watched my grandma develop serious dementia through the last years of her life. It's hard. The only thing I can say is do what you can, but don't let them overwhelm you. Especially if she is in a home, with people who know how to handle these situations, don't feel like you have to be there, well at all even. You want to help someone you love, that's admirable, but in some sad ways, the person you love might not be there anymore. 

• Like 9

On 11/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, Citrine said:

I have a sad. 

On 11/24/2021 at 1:28 PM, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I've read every one and almost every time I shake my head and think "I couldn't do your job.".

As technology becomes more complex some of these people are going to be left behind simply by their own inability to function in a technological world.

The alternative is the level of "hand holding" from your manufacturers and distributors is going to have to increase exponentially to keep these analog people functioning in a digital world, a situation which isn't really fair to your customers who actually do understand how their equipment functions unless service goes to a two tiered pricing system.

The response to the ones who aren't in a position to identify their own equipment needs to be "Call me back when you are on site and looking at the suspected malfunctioning equipment.".  Otherwise these time sinks will continue to negatively impact your productivity.

Good Luck.

GEM

My deepest sympathies to you both.

My Mother in Law had trouble near the end of her life. Hers was due to low CO2 levels, caused by years of smoking. It was very difficult for my wife, being she was the nearest child and who ended up having to make decisions. Life was not good, for anyone. 

To everyone, no matter where you are, or what you are doing today/ celebrating, I hope it is a great day. Spend some time with your family and or friends. If you are unable to be with friends and family, take time for yourself and do something you enjoy. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

They're Texans.

They don't really GET the concept of winter.

Can confirm.

It's weird being from the Northeast and being used to that type of cold weather and then seeing people here in Texas wearing winter jackets when it's 55 degrees out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Can confirm.

It's weird being from the Northeast and being used to that type of cold weather and then seeing people here in Texas wearing winter jackets when it's 55 degrees out.

Same thing for us Canadians from the prairies who then visit Vancouver Island.  Heaven forbid it snows all of 1/32" (1mm ish) - whole island shuts down effectively.  Well, except around the military bases where the engineers go "WE GET TO USE THE STUFF!!!!!" because they've kept the snow clearing stuff ready to roll 24/7 for three months.,...  (for the longest of times, CFB Comox crews cleared the civilian runways with their stuff because well, how else are planes supposed to land if it snows?)

• Like 7

Well, it’s been a bit of a rough day. Cooking and baking all day, I ruined my first crust and got so depressed about that I nearly didn’t make another. But after a trip to the store for butter, I pulled myself out of my funk and made not just one pie, but two. I made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie.

85436C82-E0B2-43AD-A87F-75F9788FBF67.thumb.jpeg.e4289108da4d9fd7fd1e10a82d20660c.jpeg

C0CA42B8-4D73-4BCB-BFA0-659023DD62A5.thumb.jpeg.811ef3cd280c64617440114e74e64fc9.jpeg

I’m not sure why it looks so dark in the picture, it’s not actually burnt.

• Like 16

52 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Can confirm.

Not just Texans.

I once made the mistake of complaining about a Maine winter to Megan's grandmum.

She lives in Minnesota.

The Auld grump - not a mistake that I ever made again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6