Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

22 minutes ago, TripleH said:

image.thumb.png.26b52a36a3c6b38552cfd5b00e2bc112.png

Pfff... pikers, the lot off them.

You do not have true Gelatinous EVIL until you sample eels in gelatin. The good news is that they provide their own gelatin!

Just boil them and let them set.

Serve with vinegar, eat with a spoon.

The Auld Grump - Megan can confirm, I have served jellied eel for a steampunk game.

• Like 8

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Pie has been successful! 

Eaten, you mean? 

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

, I have served jellied eel for a steampunk game.

* shudder *

It hit a high of 40 here today. Rather a nice afternoon for a walk in the garden to collect herbs for dinner.  I see the lettuce has come back. 

• Like 6

I just got a good reminder of how a simple act can make someone's day. I stay in touch periodically with the breeder from whom we got Molly. Molly had been the runt of her litter, and wouldn't have survived if this woman hadn't syringe fed her and put a lot of love into carrying for her in those first several weeks of her life, so we are forever grateful to her. I send her pictures at major holidays and updates so she can see how one of her pups is doing.

Anyways, I sent her Thanksgiving pictures of Molly and thanked her again for the love and care she did so that we could have the chance to live life with Molly. She told me that just last week she had to have Molly's grandmother, Darcy, put to sleep and how much her heart ached. But, she said that seeing the pictures let her see Darcy live on through all of the babies she's cared for. She also sent pictures of Molly's parents.

It's sad, but it's humbling to know that simple message helped to ease her loss and give her some comfort. More pictures will be sent next week, as it is Molly's birthday.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 13

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

You do not have true Gelatinous EVIL until you sample eels in gelatin. The good news is that they provide their own gelatin!

The Auld Grump - Megan can confirm, I have served jellied eel for a steampunk game.

One can't argue about taste, I just don't like seafood/fish although on rare occasions I eat it.

But THIS?

Nope nope nope nope....

You know what?

Let @PaganMegan send me that casserole you all ignored! Maybe it'll wash away the image of eels in jelly staring at me...

• Haha 10

Some historical happenings that occurred on November 26th:

• 1922 – Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon became the first people to enter the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamun in over 3000 years.

• 1942 – Casablanca, starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, premiered in New York City.

• 1983 – Brink's-Mat robbery: In London, 6,800 gold bars worth nearly £26 million were stolen from the Brink's-Mat vault at Heathrow Airport. Most of it has still not been recovered.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Spoiler

Well, glad to put T-Day in the rearview again, this year. As I posted that morning, we had a huge load, really a unnecessary load with us having 2 other loads this week (Sat, Mon & Wed). PoS did show up, but I still got out of there around 9ish or so, so 10 hr shift, again. Seems to be my normal work shift anymore. Table of pies where I have to break these loads down wasn't "gone" by Weds as my ast manger said it would be (I knew it wouldn't be). Pretty sure that damn thing will still be up there when I go back Saturday night. I feel like I'm just being pushed into a corner when it comes to breaking these loads down anymore. My area in the backroom that suppose to be clear of junk is full of wait for it, junk! It wouldn't be so bad, but it same junk we got over a month ago. Shipping problems? What shipping problems, our GM department has gotten Chinese Christmas junk almost every load this month. We have just plain stupid people working the grocery dept these days, whether it's facing items up (we don't face, we block down product) or just cramming items just so they don't have to bring it back to the backroom again to putting plastic off a case on to a lower shelf so again, just to not take it back to the backroom. I came across some canned turkey gravy & a case still in plastic was thrown on the shift, in front were loose cans faced up....:blink:.

I've been there almost 30 years & there hasn't been a keyperson (basically the person in charge when the managers aren't there) that I've despised. This has changed with the latest person they hired cause she was the best candidate to fill the role. She leaves everything out on the floor for us (well I won't clean it up anymore) to clean up after her when she leaves. Weds night she faced up the dairy before she left. She removed the empty box some stick butter comes in & then proceeds to carry the damn thing with her down the line to the eggs where she just drops it on the floor for me to find later. She also left a loaded up 6 wheeler on the floor as well. Since we need all of those, highly annoying to have to unload it so we can use it. :angry:

I was pissed the entire night & it carried over most of the day afterwards. After I punched off (hell, I totally forgot my employee number, as I had to go to my locker to look it up (thank goodnesss I wrote it down when I first got it)) & talked with one of the guys from the GM department for a bit before heading home. Came home, ate some leftovers from dinner the previous night & tried to cool off by looking at some stuff online (avoiding news sites of course). After a bit my wife needed to hit the convenience store for her daily fill-up on her Coke mug, so I went & got mine filled up with Gatorade. I came home & went to bed. It was probably around 1130 or so, as I heard the Lions & Bears (oh my!) game going downstairs. If any day of the year I like watching football is, Tday is that day, but I had no intention of watching anything. I woke up around 4ish in the afternoon. Seen that the Timbers game was around the 90 minute & no one had scored, so I tried to find the game online, but it was on Fox so you need their app. Anyways, Timbers scored a goal right before stoppage time & held on to win the game over the #1 seed in the Western conf, so they advance to the conf final (YES! YES! YES!).

I came downstairs after a bit & actually watched the rest of the Raiders/Cowboys game only because the 'pies were losing. I'm not a Raider fan, but anytime the 'pies lose, I'm ok with that. (helps too that later on I saw that Marcus Mariota scored a TD that day). I had no intention of watching the Saints game but my son is a football fan & watched it. I laughed the entire game at how bad the Saints have gotten, mocked them when they actually scored a touchdown late in a blowout loss. I went upstairs before the end of the game.

I fell asleep after a bit & woke up around 2 this morning. Hell of lot better mood, at least. I guess the only good things to come out Tday for me this year is Timbers advance in the playoffs, I actually have 2 nights off in a row (only week of the year that it happens, scheduled). I like my job, I just hate the people that work in my department, besides my co-worker as he has to put with the same BS that I do, I'm just worse cause I'm the one that communicates with the managers due to me being the freight manager. All I know is next time I see the grocery manager, I'm gonna ask him "Am I talking to a brick wall when I talk to you?" & note his reactions, cause I'm tired of the BS that we(I) have to put up with every night I work, when it easily could be contained if he would just do something about it. If not, then I'm done tell him anything & I'll just punch in, do my job & punch out when it comes time. I hate the holidays.

Work rant above, read if you want too.

• Sad 13

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Pie has been successful! 

Glad to hear it!

We made a turkey pot pie for Thanksgiving; we didn't see the sense in going crazy and making the whole spread for 2 people. (My son is here, too, but he's low man on the totem pole, so he had to work yesterday. Between everyone's work schedules, we won't be eating dinner together until Monday.) We had some apple pie for desert, and rounded out the evening by watching Hawkeye

So, it was a pretty good day.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Add a good dash of lemon juice and crushed black peppercorns to that, Grump, delicious.

jellied-eels.jpg.0549af39f95134a82870f400fcc43e53.jpg

Or, even better, have the full meal of eels, pie and mash:

Pie-and-mash-at-F-Cooke-H-006.jpg.fbfca8dbcb81184bc3fe0e39ab6434b5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3