Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sound about right for CanadaPost...  UPS had a fun system sillyness for me earlier today...  Had it diverted to a nearby ups store because I'm at work.  First email is from the company I bought the items from, saying it was delivered.  Two hours later UPS MyChoice emails me to let me know it's ready for pickup.  An hour later UPS MyChoice is all "hey, you have a package coming in tomorrow" - it was referring to the one that's ready for pickup now, lol... 

With CanadaPost I have a few delivery estimates... One for Friday, one for Monday, and one for Tuesday.  I'm curious which one will reach me first since they're all effectively from the same area... 

I'm in the office tomorrow, which means I'll have time to phone Canada Post to see what the blip is going on. Though I don't hold much hope for their wait times.

• Like 6

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Car story time! Last week the car went into limp-home mode again. It’s now happened twice within a week. This last one wouldn’t reset so I almost called a tow truck before trying one more time which did the trick and I completed my trip. But into the dealer it went yesterday. Verdict was a brake sensor. Say wha?! Yup. Common issue. There are so many sensors now that one going weird makes the computer yeet the engine’s power. It’s a simple fix. But my car was held overnight because the check engine light didn’t come on, which is NOT supposed to turn off after faults like that. So corporate technical (Hethel, Eng) put a hold on it until they’d reviewed the downloads. Which meant an overnight stay with the mechanics.

This is a common thing for me. I have a great partnership with computer functions and traffic. Both are easy peasy for me and my wife boggles sometimes when dense traffic appears to part like the Red Sea for me. Downside is that I get every red light possible … and computer errors that nobody has seen before. I once got the 3D CAD software to throw an error message in French filled with appropriate French curse words describing what the message writer thought of the coder’s skills. Developer said that shouldn’t have been possible, as it was located in deep, dark company-only areas. Welcome to my reality, Dassault!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Downside is that I get every red light possible … and computer errors that nobody has seen before. I once got the 3D CAD software to throw an error message in French filled with appropriate French curse words describing what the message writer thought of the coder’s skills. Developer said that shouldn’t have been possible, as it was located in deep, dark company-only areas. Welcome to my reality, Dassault!

My only claim to fame regarding weird errors is the fact that every single Mac I have ever used has crashed on me.

And that is just in normal usage

I would expect that to happen if I was coding, but not when just using a web browser or other built-in software.

Of course, when I'm coding I do get some weird errors, but that's due to using the wrong function, trying to get a function to do something that it wasn't designed to do, or when the interpreter we're using has been upgraded to the latest version and I'm used to how the old version works.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Car story time! Last week the car went into limp-home mode again. It’s now happened twice within a week. This last one wouldn’t reset so I almost called a tow truck before trying one more time which did the trick and I completed my trip. But into the dealer it went yesterday. Verdict was a brake sensor. Say wha?! Yup. Common issue. There are so many sensors now that one going weird makes the computer yeet the engine’s power. It’s a simple fix. But my car was held overnight because the check engine light didn’t come on, which is NOT supposed to turn off after faults like that. So corporate technical (Hethel, Eng) put a hold on it until they’d reviewed the downloads. Which meant an overnight stay with the mechanics.

This is a common thing for me. I have a great partnership with computer functions and traffic. Both are easy peasy for me and my wife boggles sometimes when dense traffic appears to part like the Red Sea for me. Downside is that I get every red light possible … and computer errors that nobody has seen before. I once got the 3D CAD software to throw an error message in French filled with appropriate French curse words describing what the message writer thought of the coder’s skills. Developer said that shouldn’t have been possible, as it was located in deep, dark company-only areas. Welcome to my reality, Dassault!

My wife is, and has always been, the exact opposite.  If it is digital, she can break it.  She used to threaten to throw her computer off the roof because it wouldn't function the way she wanted it to.  Now it's the TV, which she threatens to replace at least once a week because she can't operate a multi-function remote control.  It's not unusual for me to have to sort things out after walking into the room and finding the screen displaying an update prompt, as in add more channels so we can charge you more update, not the software kind.

The concepts of hierarchical menus and smart buttons are beyond her technical grasp.

I would love to be able to set her up with a simple analog four button sonic remote but those days are decades in the past.

GEM

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, ratsmitglied said:

My only claim to fame regarding weird errors is the fact that every single Mac I have ever used has crashed on me.

And that is just in normal usageI

Worked in a lab with Mac PowerBooks in college (get off my lawn, whippersnappers!) because the lab prof claimed they didn’t crash. 

Had a three-finger slippage that revealed an immediate crash bug. Loved purposely crashing my Mac every time he walked by. 

Worth the time to boot back up. 

Edited by Pegazus
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Pegazus said:

Worked in a lab with Mac PowerBooks in college (get off my lawn, whippersnappers!) because the lap prof claimed they didn’t crash. 

Had a three-finger slippage that revealed an immediate crash bug. Loved purposely crashing my Mac every time he walked by. 

Worth the time to boot back up. 

You're my kind of passive aggressive personality.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, haldir said:

Yah, this was my first & only thought regarding that article. :lol:

Anyone notice the Discord banner/logo thing has gotten bigger since yesterday? Is it going to expand so much that it finally takes over the forum? :angry:

Yup, I have noticed it.

2 hours ago, TripleH said:

Seems like a typical W.O.O.F. tactic:

image.png.716b7ee659680cca5058ab8ec1ce44fd.png

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7