Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are homes in rural New York state priced so reasonably, given home and lot sizes, compared to rural homes in other parts of the country?  I can find adorable hobby farms--with orchards, streams, and woodlands--for the price of run-down meth shacks in many other parts of the country.  Does anybody have any insight into this phenomenon?  Even land/home prices in Maine, Pennsylvania, etc. seem silly in comparison.

Are these places haunted?  Some of them seem like they might be haunted.  I think I spotted one property with an indecipherably old grave marker back in the woods behind the house.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, VitM said:

Why are homes in rural New York state priced so reasonably, given home and lot sizes, compared to rural homes in other parts of the country?  I can find adorable hobby farms--with orchards, streams, and woodlands--for the price of run-down meth shacks in many other parts of the country.  Does anybody have any insight into this phenomenon?  Even land/home prices in Maine, Pennsylvania, etc. seem silly in comparison.

Are these places haunted?  Some of them seem like they might be haunted.  I think I spotted one property with an indecipherably old grave marker back in the woods behind the house.

People are engaging in a net exit from New York State and most of the rest of the Northeast, moving to places such as Florida and Texas,  For starters, they have a more people friendly climate.  Just ask @Chaoswolf, who moved from New Jersey to Texas within the last year.

There are other reasons, which I can't and won't go into here, out of respect for those with a different perspective on the political aspects of such decisions, as you are asking about.

GEM

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, VitM said:

in some case the answer is "you can't get there from here" no nearby industry, poor roads, no other services available. So if you're good with raising almost all your own food, and being largely unreachable from thanksgiving to easter or there abouts, it can be fun. 

my grandparents used to have one of those farms.

• Like 6

So glad tomorrow is Friday!

Been busy around here. Not stupid busy, but steady busy. Don't even have any stupid customer stories. All the time I would have normally spent on the forum had to be spent online making my travel decisions and arrangements for a big install I have to do in Tampa, FL next month.  This will be the first time in 7 years, and only the 2nd time ever that I've had to do a trip of longer than a week - I'm installing two sites at the same time, so I had to almost double the trip length.  Told them I'm not working on a Sunday and preferably not Saturday, which extended the trip, but I know I'll need the mental break, and trying to work on a Sunday will be pointless, as I'll have no support from the factory. Gotta figure out what I'm going to do on my free day(s) in the area.  If I'm really, really, really, really lucky (yeah, right), I'll get the installs all finished by mid day Saturday, and be able to run up to Orlando to do a solo Disney World visit for one or two days at company expense. I put the chances of that happening at like less than 2%. 

After work, I had been spending all my time either talking with my son, who's finally arrived at Sub school, or painting CAV for the big game we had Tuesday night.  After years and years of having 3 kickstarter's worth of unpainted CAV models and terrain, I finally one fully painted 5k Ritterlich force, one half painted 5k Rach force, and one primed 5k Adon force and a bunch of painted and half painted terrain.  Now to put it all away until we get the itch to play it again, which could be a year or more away.  Next on the painting bench are Warmaster figures, which we haven't played for a year. 

• Like 7

Woah!

I just realized, because of our 3D printer, most of our Christmas shopping was done DURING THE HALLOWEEN SALE!  ::o:

Needed witch hunters, hey, look! Vampire hunters are on sale! Needed goblins, ooh! Swamp boggrots on sale! Need Chaos types and demons? A plethora! ::D: 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

People are engaging in a net exit from New York State and most of the rest of the Northeast, moving to places such as Florida and Texas,  For starters, they have a more people friendly climate.  Just ask @Chaoswolf, who moved from New Jersey to Texas within the last year.

There are other reasons, which I can't and won't go into here, out of respect for those with a different perspective on the political aspects of such decisions, as you are asking about.

GEM

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

in some case the answer is "you can't get there from here" no nearby industry, poor roads, no other services available. So if you're good with raising almost all your own food, and being largely unreachable from thanksgiving to easter or there abouts, it can be fun. 

my grandparents used to have one of those farms.

Thanks for the insight.  Follow up question (if we can avoid politics), why is this only (apparently, to my limited knowledge and wild assumptions) happening in New York State?  I look at similar properties in Pennsylvania, near the Allegheny Forest, and those are worse looking houses for 50-100k more.  Is middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania infrastructure that much better than middle-of-nowhere New York?  And where does Maine factor into this?  Why is a similar property 250k in New York, 325k in Pennsylvania, and 500k in Maine?  Does Maine have better roads?  Is it a Stephen King proximity tax?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, VitM said:

Thanks for the insight.  Follow up question (if we can avoid politics), why is this only (apparently, to my limited knowledge and wild assumptions) happening in New York State?  I look at similar properties in Pennsylvania, near the Allegheny Forest, and those are worse looking houses for 50-100k more.  Is middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania infrastructure that much better than middle-of-nowhere New York?  And where does Maine factor into this?  Why is a similar property 250k in New York, 325k in Pennsylvania, and 500k in Maine?  Does Maine have better roads?  Is it a Stephen King proximity tax?

You'll need to get specific for the property or region. some of them are from dead towns. some of them are in regions that just have no adequate roads near by. Some are farms in areas that have too many neighbors and are not really gonna work. some of them have contamination from past industry. New York is a lot bigger than people think, and has a lot of random stuff going on that affects prices locally.

• Like 9