Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

12 minutes ago, VitM said:

Thanks for the insight.  Follow up question (if we can avoid politics), why is this only (apparently, to my limited knowledge and wild assumptions) happening in New York State?  I look at similar properties in Pennsylvania, near the Allegheny Forest, and those are worse looking houses for 50-100k more.  Is middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania infrastructure that much better than middle-of-nowhere New York?  And where does Maine factor into this?  Why is a similar property 250k in New York, 325k in Pennsylvania, and 500k in Maine?  Does Maine have better roads?  Is it a Stephen King proximity tax?

You need to be aware of property tax rates when attempting to compare properties in different jurisdictions.

For example, we live in rural Northern Nevada so our basic tax rate is relatively low due to the absence of many of the publicly funded amenities City People are used to.  The nearby urbanized counties {Reno and Carson City] both have higher basic property tax rates, which also holds true for the Las Vegas area in Southern Nevada.  In addition, as a Military Veteran there is an adjustment to the actual rate we pay.  There are many differing provisions in how the actual property tax to be paid are calculated, and these all have an impact on the property values.  New York State is known to be a "high tax" state, which impacts the valuation across the board for most classes of real property.

GEM

Addendum:  What @Werkrobotwerk said has a big impact.

When we started formulating our plans for relocation we spent a couple of years just researching possible areas to relocate, including boots on the ground, mark one eyeball surveying.  We settled on an area that is semi-rural with easy access to shopping, doctors, etc in Carson City being a half hour away and Reno just  under an hour.  We are also in the "path of growth" as the mega industrial park east of Reno [where the Tesla mega factory for battery production is located] is easily accessible via a newly improved state highway that has been widened to 4 lanes and rebuilt to near freeway standards.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 6

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not just infrastructure and property taxes, either.  Age of the buildings, utilities, nearby employment and shopping opportunities, nearby recreational opportunities, whether they're in flood plains, etc.  And don't forget that things like mold, radon, asbestos and lead paint abatement can play a part, too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I keep forgetting about property taxes, as I've been spoiled living in my condo in Florida for so long.  I just paid the bill in November and it was around $800 for the year.  I dug into one of the NY properties I was looking at, and taxes were around $1400 for the month.   o___o  

Mystery solved!  Thanks y'all! 😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I think the kids in Grump's after school game just had a throwaway scene that will turn out not to be a throwaway scene.

They're in a Venice type place.

The NPC that is talking to the vampires just said Kanpai!

Why is an NPC in an Italy type place giving a Japanese toast?

• Like 9

4 hours ago, VitM said:

Why are homes in rural New York state priced so reasonably, given home and lot sizes, compared to rural homes in other parts of the country?  I can find adorable hobby farms--with orchards, streams, and woodlands--for the price of run-down meth shacks in many other parts of the country.  Does anybody have any insight into this phenomenon?  Even land/home prices in Maine, Pennsylvania, etc. seem silly in comparison.

Are these places haunted?  Some of them seem like they might be haunted.  I think I spotted one property with an indecipherably old grave marker back in the woods behind the house.

Yes. Absolutely haunted.::P:

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

People are engaging in a net exit from New York State and most of the rest of the Northeast, moving to places such as Florida and Texas,  For starters, they have a more people friendly climate.  Just ask @Chaoswolf, who moved from New Jersey to Texas within the last year.

There are other reasons, which I can't and won't go into here, out of respect for those with a different perspective on the political aspects of such decisions, as you are asking about.

GEM

No, it was upstate New York, possibly near some of those properties in question. and the only reason I (grudgingly) moved to Texas was due to my job relocating here. I am one of 2 of my coworkers (out of 45, and not counting management) that moved with the company. I figured that with 40+ of us all competing for the same jobs in the same area, maybe it made sense to at least consider moving with the job. The company offering some fairly impressive dollar signs to entice me to move helped to seal the deal. 

I spent so much time in the Navy, this is just another change of duty station in my mind.

One day, I'll eventually get to settle down somewhere.

Hopefully.

• Like 10

Today it was finally yucky enough outside to need to dry the trailers with fans at work. The boys pushed and pulled and even contemplated lifting the big yellow fan. They got it about halfway down the building, but the casters are seized and they finally gave up and walked off. I came along, said to the fan, "Come along, old girl" and easily pushed it down to the other end. They asked me how I did it, and I said "Magic words." (Actually, I just turned it so the wheels were going at a different angle.) I'm going to have to watch my back, they probably think I'm a witch. 

• Haha 12

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I think the kids in Grump's after school game just had a throwaway scene that will turn out not to be a throwaway scene.

They're in a Venice type place.

The NPC that is talking to the vampires just said Kanpai!

Why is an NPC in an Italy type place giving a Japanese toast?

Just laying pipe - whether it becomes important or not....

We just watched the first episode of The Boys....

Holy. Crap. ::o:

I don't know what I was expecting, but that... wasn't it.

I've never read the comic.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

Friday (yay!) trivia of historical happenings for December 3rd:

• 1904 – The Jovian (adjective form of Jupiter) moon Himalia was discovered by Charles Dillon Perrine at California's Lick Observatory.

• 1910 – Modern neon lighting was first demonstrated by Georges Claude at the Paris Motor Show.

• 1967 – At Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa, a transplant team headed by Christiaan Barnard carried out the first human-to-human heart transplant.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2