Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, you know it's the holiday season when out of nowhere you get a ping from the CanadaPost app, and the packages you're tracking (and were expecting to be picking up tomorrow after work) are suddenly out for delivery.  And here I was going to go grocery shopping, but that's going to wait a little bit - the power of hobbying stuff showing up is too great!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

258564919_10159108962991339_6611348822931565705_n.jpg.8045f3c7f3cab3ba5e76a1588c0a9c08.jpg

That was sooo much my life right there - during summer vacation, sometimes my parents didn't see me for two or three days, and they didn't care... I'd be gone out of the house by the time they woke up and wouldn't get back before dark if I came home at all. As long as I called in to let them know I wasn't dead and didn't need bail money wouldn't be home for dinner...

Really, though - as a kid in my neighborhood, you'd be up at sunrise, eating breakfast and maybe watching Saturday morning cartoons, then from early morning until sunset there'd just be packs of free-range kids roaming for miles until they got hungry and wandered back to someplace they were likely to get fed.

Speaking of which, I've just realized that I haven't eaten anything in about twelve hours... Green Skull needs food badly...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 11

11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

258564919_10159108962991339_6611348822931565705_n.jpg.8045f3c7f3cab3ba5e76a1588c0a9c08.jpg

On the one hand, I want my kiddo to have that kind of freedom, but on the other hand, it terrifies me because of how many kids do get stolen. 

I think we decided to get her a watch device to track her whereabouts. I guess it’ll do in lieu of getting her chipped.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

That was sooo much my life right there - during summer vacation, sometimes my parents didn't see me for two or three days, and they didn't care... I'd be gone out of the house by the time they woke up and wouldn't get back before dark if I came home at all. As long as I called in to let them know I wasn't dead and didn't need bail money wouldn't be home for dinner...

Really, though - as a kid in my neighborhood, you'd be up at sunrise, eating breakfast and maybe watching Saturday morning cartoons, then from early morning until sunset there'd just be packs of free-range kids roaming for miles until they got hungry and wandered back to someplace they were likely to get fed.

So, to put a time stamp on it, I graduated from high school in 1978.  Probably 1974 or so was the start of taking the bicycle and the group of friends and being gone for much of the day.  My love of bicycling undoubtedly dates to that.  

My parents gave me D&D for my birthday in 1976, before James Dallas Egbert III and the Satanic Panic, but, nevertheless, it might have been with some relief that they knew after that that we were safely ensconced in the basement for much of the summers of ‘76-‘78, after which I was off to college.

I wanted to raise free range kids, but we lived in a one street town on a river with a railroad running through it (Port Deposit, MD), and there was really no place you could get to on a bicycle.

• Like 6

I've solved the issue of large packages arriving while I'm not home. 

I finally got my garage door opener linked up to my smart home setup, so now I can open that as long as I get a network connection.    

In other news, someone in my organisation just got knighted. 

https://amboslo-esteri-it.translate.goog/ambasciata_oslo/en/ambasciata/news/dall_ambasciata/2021/11/onorificenza-a-arianna-minoretti.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=no

• Like 7

Monday's edition of trivia for December 6th:

• 1882 – A transit of Venus occurred (when Venus moves between the Sun and the Earth, like a solar eclipse, but it appears as just a black dot against the Sun due to the greater distance from the Earth), the second and last of the 19th century.

• 1912 – The Nefertiti Bust, believed to have been crafted around 1345 BC, was discovered in Amarna, Egypt.

• 2006 – NASA revealed photographs taken by Mars Global Surveyor suggesting the presence of liquid water on Mars.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Last Night;s Dinner at WOOF HQ.

My girl made a nice soup with zucchini, parsnip, potato, truffel oil, Serrano ham, white wine, almonds and cream.

20211204_173300.jpg.54068be68c6da4748a67710fb5968590.jpg

Being a Barbaric Wolf I made sure this delicate soup was followed by Pita Bread with Chicken Shawarma....

20211205_174341.jpg.1c641963d70ba79f247b6adc1e45ce3e.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Being a Barbaric Wolf I made sure this delicate soup was followed by Pita Bread with Chicken Shawarma....

Barbaric?  Barbaric is wrapping shawarma in a pita and then stuffing it into your face, I see a fork and knife there that's supposedly civilized! 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 6