Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Let the trivia (that you may or may not find interesting) begin for December 7th:

• 1932 – German-born Swiss physicist Albert Einstein was granted an American visa.

• 1936 – Australian cricketer Jack Fingleton became the first player to score centuries in four consecutive Test innings. (Maybe that will perk your curiosity to look up the sport of cricket... and attempt to understand it?)

• 1972 – Apollo 17, the last Apollo moon mission, was launched. The crew took the photograph known as The Blue Marble as they left the Earth.

The crew took the photograph known as The Blue Marble after they left Earth orbit.

That was many hours after they 'left Earth".

I would have added a fourth event to this list.  (Or maybe left off the cricketer.) An event that happened exactly 80 years ago. Exactly at noon Denton time. At 0800 Honolulu time.

EIGHTY YEARS AGO: RIGHT NOW

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

The crew took the photograph known as The Blue Marble after they left Earth orbit.

That was many hours after they 'left Earth".

I would have added a fourth event to this list.  (Or maybe left off the cricketer.) An event that happened exactly 80 years ago. Exactly at noon Denton time. At 0800 Honolulu time.

EIGHTY YEARS AGO: RIGHT NOW

It can be argued that this act was the pivotal event of the 20th Century.

Lets all have a moment of silence in respect of the memories of those who sacrificed so much so that those who came after could live free.

GEM

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Gotta go with that top Graphite Gray color here!

It's carbon fiber:

McLaren-Senna-Merlin-9.jpg

The Brit ride, along with 2 others (Brasil(green/yellow & Brasil flag) & Monaco/(red/white with Monaco flag)) celebrate the F1 racing legend Ayrton Senna & his various accomplishments in that sport.

Since the above one is a "Merlin" variation of that car, here's the Marlboro ride that shows the hood & surrounding areas in CF:

mclaren-senna-xp-special-edition-116.jpg 

As you can see not all the black areas are CF, the separate CF decal sheet has the decals I'll use. I've never done a CF project so big, but I think I'm up for it, if I go that route.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, haldir said:

So I picked up a Tamiya Senna McLaren XP kit awhile back in my Hobbylink Japan order. I knew I wasn't going to paint it box color (McLaren orange or some variation of that & black), now thou I can't decide what color I wanna do the body in. Figured I'd ask opinions here. I have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 "colors"

McLaren-Senna-XP-d.jpg

mclaren-beverly-hills-commissions-three-

The black on this is carbon fiber, so that is handled by decals, then it's red & blue colors on various parts. The wing has the appearance of the Union Jack flowing the wind behind. One of my favorite parts is the wing + the UJs on the seats.

d4d76f4f-mclaren-600lt-blue-100.jpg

Vega blue. It's a pearl blue. Some of the photos of this color (same car) are just drop dead gorgeous! Most of the black colors are carbon fiber on this one too.

800px-McLaren_Senna_IMG_3280.jpg

Finally, Volcano Orange. Similar to McLaren Orange but has a deep metallic sheen to the orange. It's similar to it, but it's a strikingly great color on the car. Most of the black on this one is also carbon fiber.

Btw, this is the McLaren orange color. Nice, but I want a bit more bling to the paint scheme for this one.

McLarenSenna_P15_-M5971-06WIDEEDIT_2000x

Hey all

Haldir, my vote is the McLaren Blue. I know I am an odd duck. 

I hope everyone is having the best day they can have.  I got called this morning and asked if I wanted to work.  I said no, because tonight is the sheep auction and I have to help my son with his concession stand. 

I had a slightly weird dream last night, some people and I were trying to escape something, not sure what, but we found a way, well long story short, I was left behind to face the 'horde'.... when the others said they would come get me, I said no, cause I knew they did not have the time to come back and get me and then make it back to safety. I know it is not that weird, because of the place in life I feel like I am at. I want to escape, and I know there are very few 'opportunities' to get out. 

• Like 8

Just found out one of my distributors has been selling one of our accessory products to their customers at a steep discount because they're not purchasing it from us - they hacked their own together that does mostly the same thing in a much cruder way.  However, engineering recently made a change to an underlying system function that broke their hack in such a way that they can't fix.  Now they have a new site they're trying to get running by Friday, and are begging us to help them find a work around. 

They're really not happy with my answer, which is basically "Not our problem, you either pay for the support time to help you figure something out when we have time next month, or you buy our accessory."  This has made them mad, and they're claiming it was done on purpose, to break their hack. 

The funniest part to me is that we did NOT know about their hack and the underlying change that was made to the system has been planned for a long time It's for system performance improvements along with the ability to implement even more accessories & features. Features I've giddily discussed with them as coming next year.  So, in a sense, they knew about the change, they just didn't realize it was going to break their hack. 

They're just pissed off that the only way they can meet their commitment to their customer is to purchase our hardware, which will cost more than the profit they made, because they sold the feature for a discount and bought their own now unusable hardware for. 

I really don't care that they made their own hack (and kept it secret), but I don't have any sympathy for their current predicament. 

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, TGP said:

No disrespect intended for that event. It's hardly a piece of trivia, as it's a major event that is very well known (at least here in the USA). I went with cricket because (a) it's something most people wouldn't know and (b) someone else was going to point out the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Just found out one of my distributors has been selling one of our accessory products to their customers at a steep discount because they're not purchasing it from us - they hacked their own together that does mostly the same thing in a much cruder way.  However, engineering recently made a change to an underlying system function that broke their hack in such a way that they can't fix.  Now they have a new site they're trying to get running by Friday, and are begging us to help them find a work around. 

They're really not happy with my answer, which is basically "Not our problem, you either pay for the support time to help you figure something out when we have time next month, or you buy our accessory."  This has made them mad, and they're claiming it was done on purpose, to break their hack. 

The funniest part to me is that we did NOT know about their hack and the underlying change that was made to the system has been planned for a long time It's for system performance improvements along with the ability to implement even more accessories & features. Features I've giddily discussed with them as coming next year.  So, in a sense, they knew about the change, they just didn't realize it was going to break their hack. 

They're just pissed off that the only way they can meet their commitment to their customer is to purchase our hardware, which will cost more than the profit they made, because they sold the feature for a discount and bought their own now unusable hardware for. 

I really don't care that they made their own hack (and kept it secret), but I don't have any sympathy for their current predicament. 

Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!

I love it when Karmic-Justice is meted out by the perps own hand.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 7