Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

14 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

It can be argued that this act was the pivotal event of the 20th Century.

Lets all have a moment of silence in respect of the memories of those who sacrificed so much so that those who came after could live free.

GEM

Politely, I think not. America was already "Top Nation" in terms of productivity and potential. Japan was a second rate nation that only got as far as she did because she had been under-estimated and ignored. (As FDR sensibly recognised; Germany was the bigger threat.)

Pivotal moments? Bolshevik revolution or Cockcroft and Watson splitting the atom are better candidates.

But yes, deepest respect to all who fought and made sacrifices to defeat those tyrannies.

• Like 6

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's Wednesday! Do you know what that means? 

We're halfway there. It's also Hawkeye night.

There's some other stuff too, but it's early and this is the best I could manage.::P:

That is the problem with the morning; i.e., it starts too early in the day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

What Happened Wednesday for December 8th:

• 1660 – A woman (either Margaret Hughes or Anne Marshall, there's debate) appeared on an English public stage for the first time, in the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare's play Othello.

• 1990 – The Galileo spacecraft past Earth for the first time. It would do so again on the same day two years later on its way to Jupiter.

• 2013 – Metallica performed a show in Antarctica, making them the first band to perform on all seven continents.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Politely, I think not. America was already "Top Nation" in terms of productivity and potential. Japan was a second rate nation that only got as far as she did because she had been under-estimated and ignored. (As FDR sensibly recognised; Germany was the bigger threat.)

Pivotal moments? Bolshevik revolution or Cockcroft and Watson splitting the atom are better candidates.

But yes, deepest respect to all who fought and made sacrifices to defeat those tyrannies.

My statement is based on the Pearl Harbor attack blasting the USA off of dead center and silencing the opposition of the isolationists.  Without Pearl Harbor it would have been months before the USA was actively involved [and yes I do recognize the already ramping up war production plus the effects of the military draft] , allowing Hitler more time to tighten his grip on Europe and devote more resources earlier to the Russian Front.  Germany might even have achieved a working Atomic Bomb first..

You nominate some excellent candidates but I stand by my opinion.

• Like 5

I will be super happy when the weather settles into something without wildly fluctuating barometric pressure. My head is not happy, again, today. I had to cancel my dental cleaning (and pay them 100$ because I didn't cancel 3+ days before. 😒)

In other news, I'm to the point I need to bake off this clay. I am not sure how to go about it since some of it is a mix of Fimo and Sculpey and not one or the other. Going to probably do it at a lower temp for longer. The things aren't very thick so it shouldn't be a very long process but they need to be hard enough to take the epoxy to hold the pins on the backs and not crumble.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

My statement is based on the Pearl Harbor attack blasting the USA off of dead center and silencing the opposition of the isolationists.  Without Pearl Harbor it would have been months before the USA was actively involved [and yes I do recognize the already ramping up war production plus the effects of the military draft] , allowing Hitler more time to tighten his grip on Europe and devote more resources earlier to the Russian Front.  Germany might even have achieved a working Atomic Bomb first..

You nominate some excellent candidates but I stand by my opinion.

All good points and we are probably splitting hairs but...

By "pivotal moment" I take that to mean one singular event that makes a noticeable change to the whole world, and I just don't think that Pearl Harbour qualifies as that. A world war was already in progress for 2 years. (More if you include Japanese aggression in China.) So PH was just the final taking of sides. As I've stated earlier, USA was already the worlds No.1 industrial power and had been so since before WWI. It was inevitable that she would eventually become a major military power, WW2 merely forced the pace.

Let's not forget that it is Hitler who declares war on USA, not the other way around.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

All good points and we are probably splitting hairs but...

By "pivotal moment" I take that to mean one singular event that makes a noticeable change to the whole world, and I just don't think that Pearl Harbour qualifies as that. A world war was already in progress for 2 years. (More if you include Japanese aggression in China.) So PH was just the final taking of sides. As I've stated earlier, USA was already the worlds No.1 industrial power and had been so since before WWI. It was inevitable that she would eventually become a major military power, WW2 merely forced the pace.

Let's not forget that it is Hitler who declares war on USA, not the other way around.

I agree, we are splitting hairs.

But this is the meat and potatoes of understanding the full ramifications of history.

Here's my line of reasoning:

Without Pearl Harbor the isolationists in the USA still have enough influence to keep the US Armed Forces sidelined.

The massive support of the British Isles in the form of both food and war materials doesn't ramp up as quickly,  possibly making a difference in Hitler invading and conquering Great Britain.

The Norwegian Heavy Water Project isn't crippled so Hitlers research into an Atomic Bomb isn't impeded.  We know now that the Nazi's were mere months away from having a working A-Bomb, which would have been delivered to the Continental USA by intercontinental range bombers that would have been in production by 1946.

The Manhattan Project is delayed from being started up by months while the USA dithers about getting into the shooting war.

Many of the projects the Nazi's were close to completing, such as expanded sub pens in France, would have been completed, as would additional launch sites for V-1 and V-2 rockets/ballistic missiles.

Lend/lease would have started shipping great quantities of food and military supplies to the Soviet Union later, possibly making enough of a difference to tip the balance in the German's Russian Campaign. [I appreciate the key role the Russian Winter played in stalling the German Advance]

I see the Soviet Union as not becoming a true World Power until the end stage of WWII, with the territory they wrested from the Nazi's and occupied becoming the core for their client states that kept the Soviet Economy viable for longer than it would have without such clients.  Without the {as characterized by Churchill}  "Iron Curtain"  there would have been much more trade between the Eastern Europe Nations and the West, loosening the hold Moscow as able to exert over these nations much sooner than actually occurred.

I'm treading very close to what used to be beekeeper territory so I will leave it at this.

Regards

GEM

9 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

@Green Eyed Monsty & @paintybeard

You're both wrong. THE pivotal moment in American history was a nice Friday afternoon in March 1965 when I graced the world with presence for the first time. 

Well played!

Very well played.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, kitchen_wolf said:

image.png.f9c7b0f820869486e255c9456eaf9590.png

I really hated that dog. Enough that every time he came on I did the whole rapid trigger finger thing whenever he came on.

Also, thanks to all that chimed in on my Senna poll question. I've decided that the place I'm getting the carbon fiber decals, also has the Brit decals, so I'll just toss that sheet in there & also order the volcano orange. I'll decide which I really like once I see both in person. :devil:

Off to FLGS game night "FINAL ENEMY/Saltmarsh" adventure time!!

• Like 9