Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4-10 NY Giants, despite no longer being in contention for their divisional title, still being in the run for a playoff spot basically just proves the current NFL format absolutely sucks. When you have so too many wildcard spots that this late in December, it seems possible there'll be a 6-10 (.375) team in the playoffs, you might as well just switch to a 32-team play-off that'll get even the Jaguars a participation trophy. That would also mean even more televi$ed matche$, which everyone know$ i$ the real rea$on for the current garbage format, anyway$!

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Arkady said:

That reminds me. Have I ever mentioned the Dutch are a bit weird? They having all these fine traditional dishes originating all over the world, but when you visit, they'll almost immediately maker you try supermarket-bought kroketten.

That's kind of like introducing someone to the varied Southwestern US cuisine with its Creole and Mexican influences by taking them to McDonalds.

Well in our defense a good Kroket is delicious and most people from other countries never had one.

You can make them yourself so they will be even better.

https://foodcrumbles.com/dutch-food-kroketten-bitterballen/

In other news, My gaming laptop is now 8 yrs old.

Yesterday I played Total Warhammer II and suddenly it shut off.

Battery level 15 % ( I always connect to electricity so it shouldn't).

It does chargem but very slowly, when in normal use it works.

Heavy games, drain the battery faster than it can recharge.

So I have ordered a new battery, it will arrive in a few days, let's hope that will do the trick.

If that fails, it is finally time for a new laptop and then I would have to say goodbye to my trusted Asus Rog g750JH-T4065H.

8 years...I really hope I can keep it for a while longer.

I already copied all important stuff to an external HD.

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well in our defense a good Kroket is delicious and most people from other countries never had one.

I said supermarket-bought, though. My half-brother's mother in law outright said I probably shouldn't try those as I'm not Dutch enough for it to be a cultural thing. Her friend, who had just offered me one, grinned and agreed. To be fair, my HBMIL never seemed to eat kroketten except during parties with Dutch friends, so it's quite possible she didn't even like them herself...

Personally, I felt the supermarket-bought kroket seems a decent enough piece of whatever (I'm not so sure I actually want to know) to put various toppings and condiments on for taste, i.e. the equivalent of a supermarket-bought generic hot dog sausage. I'm guessing a proper kroket is to the cheap supermarket one what a real sauge is to those taste-free franks?

Anyways, now I want extra oude nagelkaas and DZs. Both are a pain to try and mail order from these here parts. 😞

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I said supermarket-bought, though. My half-brother's mother in law outright said I probably shouldn't try those as I'm not Dutch enough for it to be a cultural thing. Her friend, who had just offered me one, grinned and agreed. To be fair, my HBMIL never seemed to eat kroketten except during parties with Dutch friends, so it's quite possible she didn't even like them herself...

Personally, I felt the supermarket-bought kroket seems a decent enough piece of whatever (I'm not so sure I actually want to know) to put various toppings and condiments on for taste, i.e. the equivalent of a supermarket-bought generic hot dog sausage. I'm guessing a proper kroket is to the cheap supermarket one what a real sauge is to those taste-free franks?

Anyways, now I want extra oude nagelkaas and DZs. Both are a pain to try and mail order from these here parts. 😞

A Kroket is definitely a snack and not a meal.

I usually take mustard or Mayo with them.

The best are home made, but from the Supermarket there are some very good ones if you get the right brand ( Kwekkeboom or Dobben) .

There are snackcorners who sell these and those are usually good.

Friese Nagelkaas is delicious!!!

I love aged cheese.

• Like 6

Monday's edition of historical happenings for December 20th:

• 1803 – The Louisiana Purchase was completed at a ceremony in New Orleans, nearly doubling the size of the United States for $15,000,000.

• 1946 – The popular Christmas film It's a Wonderful Life was first released in New York City.

• 1971 – The international aid organization Doctors Without Borders was founded by Bernard Kouchner and a group of journalists in Paris, France.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Just got informed by email that I have been fired as of 12/21 and I needed to immediately open the attached Excel file in order to prevent my termination. 

It was sent to an email I only use at one website, and is not the email that my company knows. Nice try, but no cigar. 

An actual termination takes a LOT more paperwork than some stupid spreadsheet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

2 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Just got informed by email that I have been fired as of 12/21 and I needed to immediately open the attached Excel file in order to prevent my termination. 

It was sent to an email I only use at one website, and is not the email that my company knows. Nice try, but no cigar. 

An actual termination takes a LOT more paperwork than some stupid spreadsheet.

From experience, most spammers/phishers aren't particularly thorough in their convincing tactics.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Just got informed by email that I have been fired as of 12/21

My heart dropped for you there for a second. Was happy to see everything after the and. 

19 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

From experience, most spammers/phishers aren't particularly thorough in their convincing tactics.

Same here - which is why it's so frustrating that it works enough for them to keep trying. 

Then again, I've told you about some of the service calls I received over the years. 

Today's was a guy asking me where the power switch for a particular piece of his system is so he can replace it.  Given that this particular component is wired up in the field, all I can give is general guidance. If you don't have the skills to trace voltages in electrical circuits to find the power source, then you probably shouldn't be working on them. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1