Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Tuesday Timeline Trivia for December 28th:

• 1895 – Wilhelm Röntgen published a paper detailing his discovery of a new type of radiation, which later will be known as x-rays.

• 1922 – Stan Lee, American writer, editor, publisher and influential figure of the comic industry, was born.

• 1944 – Maurice Richard of the Montreal Canadiens became the first player to score eight points in one game of NHL ice hockey.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

*blinks*

*looks around*

Hey, I remember this place.

howdy everyone.  Hope y'all are doing well.  I've been busy with other stuff but should be around a bit more regularly.  One the plus side, I've got more reading sone over the last few months than the last few years.  Looking forward to the New Year.

Hmm, you look familiar.  I think you'll fit in well here.....

14 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's...  Just a few boxes.  42" tall stack too, by the way...

20211227_153908.thumb.jpg.87babbbbfb247bf1470552b955d485ed.jpg

Now to try and figure out where I'm putting this 3d printer, and all the associated extras...  Okay, I'll admit, one of the boxes did contain coffee, but I digress.

42" of a new hobby is never a bad thing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

*blinks*

*looks around*

Hey, I remember this place.

howdy everyone.  Hope y'all are doing well.  I've been busy with other stuff but should be around a bit more regularly.  One the plus side, I've got more reading sone over the last few months than the last few years.  Looking forward to the New Year.

Well hello, stranger! Good to see you back again. I hope all is well and you had a Merry Christmas.

• Like 7

Yeah, @Dilvish the Deliverer is here!

First call of the day today is a voicemail that says "this is Frank* from the car wash in Toronto. Call me back."

I find myself surprised that a city of nearly 3 million people only has one car wash. 

At least he left his phone number. Still, I hate these sorts of calls - I never know what I'm getting myself into when I call them back. 

*name changed to protect the guilty - one car wash owner in Toronto. 

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Well hello, stranger! Good to see you back again. I hope all is well and you had a Merry Christmas.

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Yeah, @Dilvish the Deliverer is here!

First call of the day today is a voicemail that says "this is Frank* from the car wash in Toronto. Call me back."

I find myself surprised that a city of nearly 3 million people only has one car wash. 

At least he left his phone number. Still, I hate these sorts of calls - I never know what I'm getting myself into when I call them back. 

*name changed to protect the guilty - one car wash owner in Toronto. 

Thanks.  Been away first due to other things and then because it had been so long, and that fact that the forums were blocked from work.  Then I realized that it was silly, I wasn't obligated to catch up on 3 months of posts.  And I discovered that the forums weren't blocked at work any more and I'm one of two people in my office for the week and a half.

So here I am.  When I'm not working my way through the Witcher novels my kids got me for Christmas that is.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:06 AM, ManvsMini said:

1831 – Charles Darwin embarked on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he began to formulate his theory of evolution.

Beagle was a Cherokee class Brig/Sloop. If someone wanted to make a model of Beagle and have it be in-RPG-scale with the Reaper pirate ship, the model would need to be 18 inches long and 5 inches wide. Give it just two masts, a foremast and a slightly taller main mast (this is the definition of "Brig"). No raised forecastle or quarterdecks, these were flush-decked ships.

In-service, Beagle was modded a bit, a small mizzen mast and a forecastle were added:

hms-beagle-science-photo-library.jpg

This is a coloured engraving. Mizzen mast is there, but I don't think the raised forecastle has been added at this point.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 11

It's cold and we are snowed in. Looks like more is supposed to start coming down around 7 this evening. Then more Thursday. I am over it, nice to look at but I'm getting cabin fever which is weird because I very seldom go anywhere anyway. Have to cancel Xmas with my mom and reschedule. The plow that is supposed to do the, like, one road in and out of town to get here is broken down. They had to tow it out the other night. Not only that but (if I understand correctly) the salt bit of the plow just straight up broke and they aren't expected to get the new one in for about a month or something.

I am over it. Brain weasels are not too bad though so I'll call that a win. Hoping to get upstairs today to paint something if I can.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

42" of a new hobby is never a bad thing.

Indeed, although finding room for everything has been interesting.  I'm a lot closer now with such though, which is a good thing.  Just have to move various things around to make the necessary room. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Factory to Distributors: "We're going to be closed the week between Christmas and New Years. Emergency service only. Parts shipments will resume on Jan 3rd."

Distributor: "Sounds like a great time to do a major install and update!"

I suppose if they had all the parts ahead of time.

• Like 8

Got a look at the WHIRRRR! birds.. they're quail.

I knew there were (wild) quail around, but this is the first time I've seen any, and there were at least three, pecking and scratching around the area I usually feed the chickens.

Possibly four. No wonder Enigma has been chattering and trilling at the window... thought it was just cat-instincts going, 'birds! BIRDS! dangit, human, there are BIRDS and I want one!' - because there are all kinds of songbirds out there too, mostly chickadees, I think .. got at least one woodpecker, and a bunch of others I'm not sure of.

• Like 14