Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

10 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I remember... fondly?... Rifts from my college days in the early 90s. Interesting setting, poor mechanics and balance.

Has anyone taken a look at the Savage Worlds edition of Rifts that was on Kickstarter? i.e. Savage Rifts. I haven't looked at any of the reviews, but it could be the nice update everyone needs.

I missed that one and now my brain is trying to wrap around the simplicity that is Savage Worlds and reconcile it with the... ah.. well, NOT simplicity that is Rifts and getting completely stuck

• Like 8

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

17 hours ago, TripleH said:

image.png.37209c61401e7fb51db0b72edf9f47e5.png

I'm not a mystical creature, I'm 100% human and I can prove it!!!

Here's my evidence.

Spoiler

glb.jpg.d1436af8a011dfbbba4e9e8cea81483d.jpg

Sorry, that was a joke,

What I meant was:

Spoiler

glbb.png.6da8f8245d98723816d9eda51ec7aaa6.png

I couldn't help myself..

But let's discuss this human/mythical creature theory for real here:

Spoiler

i-didnt-chose-5cc56e.thumb.jpg.f32fb7c89cc65717795af5c0b5f56a92.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Finished that branch of my tree in 270AD Finland with some Norwegian princes. Not sure I believe that but it is the outlaw royalty I suppose I needed to be “finished”. 

Now for that pesky more modern branch from the 1800s. My son has gotten into things as well, and has found that a suddenly appearing great*x grandfather may have been a notorious liar. The census forms he filled out over the decades list Iowa, Ohio, and Ireland as his birthplace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Most people keeping going back into their family tree until they find royalty and/or an infamous outlaw.

I stopped listening to my parents' findings once they got to roots in Scotland. Knowing I have genetic right to wear a kilt was enough for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

23 hours ago, Inarah said:

There's a lot of good ideas and cool stuff in Rifts, but almost everyone I know uses it as a source book, not a rules set. 

Today is just cold and grey, like you'd expect in January.  Going to spend the day painting and then make a meatloaf with gratin potatoes for dinner.  

23 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I always thought RIFTS was an interesting game that I would have liked to play, but I just couldn't really wrap my head around how to have a Samurai, Gandalf and a 30-ft-tall mech with a rail gun in the same party without half the party being irrelevant in combat and the other half irrelevant outside of it.

23 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

We  tried character gen in RIFTS.  all I remember is that I was some kind of druid and my dagger did MDC damage - ie I could get into a knife fight with a tank and win.   or knock down small buildings by stabbing them. 

I could also summon a grizzly bear!  who did not do MDC damage, and would be useless in a fight 

my brain broke at this point,  I guess I could use the bear for intimidation and the dagger for combat? 

the books were pretty and the settings full of imagination.  but I had no desire to try the system. 

See, here's the thing I've figured out about the game: Limit things. Either you go combat heavy, with Glitter Boys, full conversion 'Borgs, and Juicers (and maybe young dragons, if you're feeling frisky) or you go the other direction and go for magic users, psionics, maybe some scholars, scientists, medics, etc. There's no direct balance except for the one that the GM makes. For that first group, feel free to dump the Xitixic or the CS or, hell, a whole damn dragon, on them and watch the fireworks. But you don't do that to the other party. You give them mysteries and minor MDC creatures.

I learned this having picked up the old gray book in high school and letting people play what they wanted. Many, many lessons were learned during that game... You also have to control what books people read (because there's no Player/GM sections) and they give nothing for balance. Plus, your power gamey friends will do terrible, terrible things to your brain. You thought D&D 3/3.5-d20 system things had balance issues? That's nothing compared to the things I can throw together with the core book, 2-3 World Books, and a handful of issues of Rifter. :devil:

Also, you COULD take on a tank with a MDC knife but you're going to be working through 2-3k MDC. So... Possible? Yes. Likely? No. I always thought that the MDC thing worked way better in something like Robotech but was a dumb thing to tack on to Rifts. I'm just thankful that they didn't put it in After The Bomb. That one is silly enough as it is. And could be a better setting for people who want the fun of Rifts without having to deal with MDC.

14 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I remember... fondly?... Rifts from my college days in the early 90s. Interesting setting, poor mechanics and balance.

Has anyone taken a look at the Savage Worlds edition of Rifts that was on Kickstarter? i.e. Savage Rifts. I haven't looked at any of the reviews, but it could be the nice update everyone needs.

As someone else mentioned (and I thought I quoted), SW just doesn't have the grit that Rifts needs. I have thought, more than few times, of throwing "We Closely Resemble But Are Legally Distinct From" Rifts in d20 Modern/Future. But I have enough projects. Especially ones that I can't publish.

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Most people keeping going back into their family tree until they find royalty and/or an infamous outlaw.

I believe I mentioned that my mom went on a family history kick last year. The only one I care about is our Irish ancestor who immigrated to the US and got married. 13 times. He wasn't a bigamist, just had terrible taste in women (which appears to be genetic).

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Pfft.  I'm just going far enough back to find one that'll qualify me for Italian (and thus, EU) citizenship. ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

WOOF FOOD LOG.

Today's Dinner.

I made Italian Beef Stew ( In the Crockpot with Beef Broth, Balsamico, Rosemary, Thyme. Garlic, Shallots and Laurel)

Risotto with Oyster Mushrooms and Parmesan Cheese garnished with Parsley and Ground Pepper.

The Beef stewed in the Crockpot for 8,5 hours.

I love this Crockpot!!!!

Before and After pics:

20220105_091037.jpg

20220105_174810.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not a mystical creature, I'm 100% human and I can prove it!!!

Here's my evidence.

Hide contents

glb.jpg.d1436af8a011dfbbba4e9e8cea81483d.jpg

Sorry, that was a joke,

What I meant was:

Hide contents

glbb.png.6da8f8245d98723816d9eda51ec7aaa6.png

I couldn't help myself..

But let's discuss this human/mythical creature theory for real here:

Hide contents

i-didnt-chose-5cc56e.thumb.jpg.f32fb7c89cc65717795af5c0b5f56a92.jpg

I cannot believe I fell for this! There will be retribution! Revenge! Retaliation! 

Just as soon as I get the place swept...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

I cannot believe I fell for this! There will be retribution! Revenge! Retaliation! 

So, he's safe for at least a year then.

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

One Glitter Bomb, Two Glitter Bomb, Three Glitter Bomb  .   .   .   .   .

{With a tip of the hat to the telephone operator {ringy dingy}]

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 8