Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Sometimes, you just don't have any control over or choice in the things going on in your life, and you just have to develop useful strategies to deal with the situational realities you find yourself in rather than focusing on how far your current circumstances are from your vision of the ideal.

I spent a great deal of my childhood alone because it was better than being with the people around me at the time, so I learned to be comfortable by myself, living in my own head and finding ways to entertain myself that didn't involve other people.

When I don't have a group to play with I sometimes make up a party and play through modules all by myself. If I have a great idea for an adventure or campaign and there's nobody around to play in it, I just roll up a party of characters that I'd want to see going through it and then play out the whole damn thing in my head as a freeform storytelling exercise... I keep notes about the details of the adventures and record any good dialogue that comes up. Sometimes I get really good scenes playing out in my head and sometimes I let the dice control the direction the story goes. And I write it all down and use it as fuel for storytelling. Sometimes things end up in the story just the way they happened in the game. Sometimes I change things around to make for a more entertaining read.

But the important part is that I got my cake and ate it too, even when there was nobody around to share it with.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Colonel Kane said:

not sure why I even bother.....

sorry had to get that out of my system. and I really hate people.... not everyone, just those outside my circle.....circles... I have multiple circles. there are you guys and game I play online that I have made a lot of friends at, my painting/gaming friends, and there are the ones who I deal at work, who I know around town or even if they are out of towners who frequent my store but have come to 'know' me. beyond that, I hate them. maybe hate is too strong of a word and I still would like to think there are good people out there, but overall, well I cannot say in a family setting. .....

I placed my whine in a spoiler, so you can skip it if you want to. 

Reveal hidden contents

Due to an event, I am now questioning my time that I spend 'tinkering' with my games. I say tinkering. because more often than not, I do not get to play my games, be they RPGs or tabletop wargames. 

I live so far away from a game store and my friends, that a tabletop game is almost impossible to do. I feel the same with my RPGs. I cannot get a sit-down group together as I live far from everyone. Even if I did have people around me that would be willing to play, my current jobs inconsistency makes it almost impossible. As I do not have a set schedule, despite talking to the boss. I have been running the PbP here on the forums since May 1st. It is still going so there is that, but with only two players and even one of those has had to 'step back' because of RL, I feel like I am not doing a good job. I am having a good time and I do not fault the one player because of RL. I just question, if I am just dragging around a corpse....

I also have been trying to 'set up' a world for a fantasy game. of which I have tried to run 2 games of on Discord and both have fallen apart. One because the players do not like doing it on the discord, which I get. the other, I am not sure I think RL got in the way, but noone seems to want to talk to me now. So now I just question my time I seem to be spending on 'tinkering' on games I never play, or in the case of the Fatansy RPG, it seems like no one will want to play. ....

Ok. sorry for the long boring post. I return you to your regularly scheduled postings. 

This is not intended as an insult or said flippantly, but... Have you tried just writing stories? Wargames and RPGs teach a lot of traits and things that writing needs and writing doesn't have to be done on a schedule or with other people. You seem to like creating worlds and if you can't have other people explore them with you, why not explore them yourself? With the voices in your head?

Honestly, when I couldn't game or hang out with people, writing helped. And, with the world on fire for the, whatever year it is, in a row, it continues to help.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Colonel Kane said:

I placed my whine in a spoiler, so you can skip it if you want to. 

Reveal hidden contents

Due to an event, I am now questioning my time that I spend 'tinkering' with my games. I say tinkering. because more often than not, I do not get to play my games, be they RPGs or tabletop wargames. 

I live so far away from a game store and my friends, that a tabletop game is almost impossible to do. I feel the same with my RPGs. I cannot get a sit-down group together as I live far from everyone. Even if I did have people around me that would be willing to play, my current jobs inconsistency makes it almost impossible. As I do not have a set schedule, despite talking to the boss. I have been running the PbP here on the forums since May 1st. It is still going so there is that, but with only two players and even one of those has had to 'step back' because of RL, I feel like I am not doing a good job. I am having a good time and I do not fault the one player because of RL. I just question, if I am just dragging around a corpse....

I also have been trying to 'set up' a world for a fantasy game. of which I have tried to run 2 games of on Discord and both have fallen apart. One because the players do not like doing it on the discord, which I get. the other, I am not sure I think RL got in the way, but noone seems to want to talk to me now. So now I just question my time I seem to be spending on 'tinkering' on games I never play, or in the case of the Fatansy RPG, it seems like no one will want to play. ....

Ok. sorry for the long boring post. I return you to your regularly scheduled postings. 

A lot of us know that pain well.

I've lived far away from any FLGS or game group; I had complicated work schedules; and the last two years of restrictions did not help at all. F2F games with real people interactions are what I want. And despite the rise and improvements in virtual gaming tools, group stability/scheduling remains a constant challenge.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

This is not intended as an insult or said flippantly, but... Have you tried just writing stories? Wargames and RPGs teach a lot of traits and things that writing needs and writing doesn't have to be done on a schedule or with other people. You seem to like creating worlds and if you can't have other people explore them with you, why not explore them yourself? With the voices in your head?

Honestly, when I couldn't game or hang out with people, writing helped. And, with the world on fire for the, whatever year it is, in a row, it continues to help.

I do not take that as an insult. I have tried to write before. I am not sure what my 'problem' is, I do a little bit of it then I get bored, usually 2 or 3 paragraphs in and I either delete the whole thing or leave it in a book somewhere never to find it again. I have thought about writing a couple of 'stories', but sometimes when I go to write, there is nothing there or sometimes something 'triggers'* me. *Not in a bad way, but suddenly there is a story in my head and it begs to get out...... most of these are at very inconvenient times... at work... driving... other wize in the middle of something I cannot just stop and take notes. Then when I go to write it down later it either is not there or, I cannot fully remember the 'details' and anything else seems flat and not right. 

15 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I just noticed that that tile pattern on the floor in the break room is off.

I'll need to go and notify management that they're going to need to correct that.

I hate it when I notice these kinds of things. it sets my OCD off and I have to find a way to make me focus on other things. 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I just noticed that that tile pattern on the floor in the break room is off.

I'll need to go and notify management that they're going to need to correct that.

i just noticed a buzzard on a telephone pole. I am calling no one. 

Oh. Buzzard has a friend!

• Like 7

Just read that a couple of L.A. cops just lost their appeal on their case to get reinstated - they were fired in 2017 because instead of responding for a call for back-up at a robbery scene, they wandered off to go try to catch a rare Snorelax on Pokemon Go...  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, TGP said:

i just noticed a buzzard on a telephone pole. I am calling no one. 

Oh. Buzzard has a friend!

If they're there for you, can I have your stuff? ::D:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

50 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

they wandered off to go try to catch a rare Snorelax on Pokemon

Well don’t leave us hanging… Did they or didn’t they catch the Snorelax?? Also, what is a Snorelax, what does it look like?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6