Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Started new job, first two days done. Today and tomorrow are recovery days before having to do three days in a row. So far not enjoying it, extremely tired. An hour drive there, a 12.5 hour shift (the 0.5 being for lunch) and another hour home makes for a long day. Plus the place is a petri dish for infection, despite what I was told upon interviewing (though granted, Omicron was still in early stages when that happened). Need the money, grateful to have employment, but will hopefully be able to find something closer to home.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Having done them (briefly) I agree that 14.5 hour days are pretty rough. 

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

DRUNK!!!! GENIUS!!!

Truthfully. Alcohol for creativity and caffeine for focus. I may actually try getting plastered so I can go find a nice tropical planet with some snow capped mountains within reach of the beach. 

If you have any space left on the ship, I call dibs!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Had Xmas stuff with my mom and sibling today. Got some cool stuff. Husband got Mice a Mystics as well as a couple different Exit: The Game. I got a set of hobby tweezers and some other non-hobby related things. Over all was a good day. 

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Pegazus said:

DRUNK!!!! GENIUS!!!

Truthfully. Alcohol for creativity and caffeine for focus. I may actually try getting plastered so I can go find a nice tropical planet with some snow capped mountains within reach of the beach. 

You're in luck! Come to Saskatchewan, our snow-capped mountains are VERY close to the ground.

• Haha 10

On 1/10/2022 at 9:43 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Most people listen to something relaxing, calming, or whatnot when cleaning.  Me?  Nope.

I prefer EDM or heavy metal. You know, fast paced and energetic. Relaxing music is for, well, relaxing.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Pegazus said:

And, ya know, there are some of us that design spaceships (and airplanes and things that go boom) for a living and for a hobby, who could get you an STL of a bespoke spaceship that you’d be happy to tour the galaxy in.

Favorite starship minis game?  I've explored (and written) my fair share.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

Favorite starship minis game?  I've explored (and written) my fair share.

I collect far too many Firestorm Armada ships. I also have a large collection of Star Trek ships, which I don’t remember what system they’re from. Paintable ones, not pre-paints.

• Like 6

Today is national Rubber Ducky day.

According to Guinness World Records,  American Charlotte Lee owns the world's largest collection of rubber ducks. In 2011, her collection comprised 5,631 rubber ducks. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is national Rubber Ducky day.

According to Guinness World Records,  American Charlotte Lee owns the world's largest collection of rubber ducks. In 2011, her collection comprised 5,631 rubber ducks. 

"We're gonna need a bigger bath."

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

On 1/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, Colonel Kane said:

I do not take that as an insult. I have tried to write before. I am not sure what my 'problem' is, I do a little bit of it then I get bored, usually 2 or 3 paragraphs in and I either delete the whole thing or leave it in a book somewhere never to find it again. I have thought about writing a couple of 'stories', but sometimes when I go to write, there is nothing there or sometimes something 'triggers'* me. *Not in a bad way, but suddenly there is a story in my head and it begs to get out...... most of these are at very inconvenient times... at work... driving... other wize in the middle of something I cannot just stop and take notes. Then when I go to write it down later it either is not there or, I cannot fully remember the 'details' and anything else seems flat and not right.

One of the things I have learned, having left (far, far, far) too many things incomplete and half-finished, is that short stories are important if you're having trouble getting things finished. The other thing is that I tell and re-tell myself the story in my head until I have the chance to get it down on paper. That's really helped make my first drafts better. The most important thing is the first draft IS NOT the best draft. Write the first draft, screw it up to hell and back, let it be terrible and flat and ugly. Because, if you don't have that draft, you can't improve it. Nobody, not Stephen King, not George R. R. Martin, not Tolkien, not anyone you've ever read has a perfect first draft. There's a quote I use a lot when I'm in my writing group: Ever tried? Ever failed. Try again. Fail better. Writing is a skill. It's like painting minis in a lot of ways, you have to start out terrible and learn to not be terrible, one paint-caked monster at a time. You just have to put the time into it. And I'm saying that mostly too myself. The only reason why I have an ebook on Amazon was just to prove to myself that I could actually do it. Is it perfect? Oh, hell no! But, it *is* finished.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:07 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

I had a bit of fun with one of those once, even though it didn't last long.  They threatened the IRS was about to arrest me, to which I was all "oh, they've got offices in Canada now?"   naturally a bunch of swearing is what I got in reply, and my first thought was "at least get your countries right", but then they hung up on me.  I think I also occasionally answered those with "global candy testing" and even "CSIS Quality Assurance Line, how may we help you?" but I was younger then and didn't know the kind of troubld you could get into for impersonation (thankfully it was impersonating the help desk, but still) 

...Turns out we do have an IRS in Canada though - Independent Respiratory Services Canada... 

Still get the occasional "RCMP is coming to arrest you if you don't pay up!" calls, although they're a lot rarer, but I'm guessing it's a combination of they don't call me (funny what saying "transcripts of this conversation will be forwarded to the RCMP and CSIS for investigation" as well as "you do know the RCMP have little to no power in most major Canadian cities, right?" will do.  Oh yeah, that and Call Protect.)  the thing I'll never understand is if the police really did want to arrest me...  They know where I work (I literally deliver to them), they know where I live, and they eerily have a basic idea of my general schedule too. 

That last one is kind of important to me, only an idiot would be a delivery driver for one of their suppliers that visits semi-regularly and do something that involves getting a warrant actually put out for you. ::P: 

The nice thing about my job is that I can put "officer" in front of my name and it's not impersonating a LEO. However, I have to be careful about that. :ph34r:

18 hours ago, Pegazus said:

DRUNK!!!! GENIUS!!!

If tequila can be used to make artificial sapphires (or is it emeralds?) then it can be used in more science!

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I prefer EDM or heavy metal. You know, fast paced and energetic. Relaxing music is for, well, relaxing.

This is also my preferred cleaning music. And writing music. And just "please dear angry man in the sky, don't let me fall asleep at the desk" music.

In other news, my copy of the FrostGrave Folio, that I ordered on Christmas Day, is FINALLY turning up. I knew it was going to take a while but this is absurd. And I wouldn't be upset if: A. they hadn't given me an ETA of the 7th, B. not sent me the other two things in the order (including a book I bought just to be able to say "your book title isn't stupid, I have proof" and, C. they had sent along the updates BEFORE I started bringing in eBay. I checked their reviews and that's how I figured out that waving the stick was the best way to get things moving. However, I will not be ordering from them ever again.

And my lungs feel a little off. Is it just the fluctuating weather? My new plasma lighter? Accidentally getting a lungful of acetone? Or is it The Plague? I may never know...

• Like 8