Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Maybe I'll look into whether or not there's some kind of medical research place nearby that I could donate blood to. I can't give it to the Red Cross 'cause i've been to lots of foreign countries and might have icky foreign germs in my blood, even though it's been 12 years since I've been to any of those places. :rolleyes:

Also, relevant to what I posted earlier:

269781175_4951327998219977_5454809316655070609_n.thumb.jpg.4f30967455b58b599f43266a0bb2d759.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

i've been to lots of foreign countries and might have icky foreign germs in my blood, even though it's been 12 years since I've been to any of those places. :rolleyes:

Really? I can understand say going there in past 6 months or even a year but over 10 years?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Green Eyed Monsty hang in there! Hope you'll beat this and feel better soon.

This is a cool channel for building stuff for wargames and D&D.

Here he's building a raft for your characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDX-6TE3vI

Thanks.

Starting to feel half human..

The feelings of agitation are subsiding and I am able to sleep enough to where I don't feel quite like road kill.

Still no energy, but since it's an improvement, I'm not complaining.

GEM

• Like 13

Yeah, the travel one is pretty intense regarding time spent in various countries. The other changes, for both the US and Canada, are taking quite a while. Crummy qualifications doesn't stop the need for the red juice though, so boycotting when I now can (as long as I keep my weight high enough, which is tough for me) is not ideal. They really gotta allow more people to donate though. Plenty of people with safe personal habits around who'd donate if they could.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yup. Last time I checked was a couple years ago. Still didn't want my blood.

Hmmm, might be one reason for the shortages (amongst others)............

I should be hobbying or at least trying too, but mostly been looking at laptops. Most likely I'll be going with a Dell Inspiron, something in the 300 to 400 range............Holy SHEEP!! I just noticed the power light was off on the other Chromebook, so I pushed the side power button & nothing, then remembered you need to lift the lid to turn it on (Duh!) & it POWERED ON!!!

Hopefully I just diverted a computer disaster & it was just a glitch. (probably a plot by the hated Seattle Thunderbirds & they didn't want me to hear the end of that game last night...:lol:)

• Like 11

I had quite the startle this morning. I thought my doggy lost a tooth. She is well past teething age, so I was very concerned. We didn't notice anything untowards--she was her usual obnoxious self at work all day. At the end of the day, I went to pick it up and take it home for the vet to look at. It was sticky! We had been eating leftover candy canes and I realized this must have been a piece she'd been licking at, that was suspiciously tooth-shaped. The "blood" was actually the red dye that had dissolved in dog spit. 

• Haha 17

5 hours ago, haldir said:
5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

i've been to lots of foreign countries and might have icky foreign germs in my blood, even though it's been 12 years since I've been to any of those places. :rolleyes:

Really? I can understand say going there in past 6 months or even a year but over 10 years?

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yup. Last time I checked was a couple years ago. Still didn't want my blood.

I think understand what this is about. The tiny, but non-zero chance of Creutzfeldt Jakob disease. 

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/press-release/2020/red-cross-to-implement-fda-eligibility-changes.html

https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/recommendations-reduce-possible-risk-transmission-creutzfeldt-jakob-disease-and-variant-creutzfeldt

• Like 6

Also the mad cow outbreak in the UK ~30ish years ago. All sorts of regional diseases, and I don't think they test the blood for everything. They test for a lot of more common diseases but not all.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Maybe I'll look into whether or not there's some kind of medical research place nearby that I could donate blood to. I can't give it to the Red Cross 'cause i've been to lots of foreign countries and might have icky foreign germs in my blood, even though it's been 12 years since I've been to any of those places. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, haldir said:

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I think understand what this is about. The tiny, but non-zero chance of Creutzfeldt Jakob disease.

Yup, what the griffon said.

Having spent a year in France in the late 80s, and having consumed beef during that time, my whole family is automatically disqualified from giving blood, even after nearly 35 years. Which is a shame, as I used to give blood in the early 90s before that rule kicked in.

It's a bit extreme as a precaution, but every time some sort of contaminated blood makes it into the system, it's a hell of a public relations mess.

• Like 5

Yeah, I have not lived in Norway for 24 years, and Norway is not the same country as Britain, and never had mad cows... I am still not allowed to donate blood in the US. I occasionally have to get drained of excess blood to get rid of accumulated iron. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4