Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

The pictures of those of you in real snow country make me glad its around 11 miles to the nearest street with a sidewalk.

The one thing that concerns me is if we should get anywhere near some of the record snowfalls I've read about on the Comstock Lode.  Virginia City is less than 20 miles as the turkey vulture flies from our little plot in Stagecoach and even with the observed tailing off of severe weather effects as you move east from the Carson City area, if we get near the records it's going to make for some serious snowfall in our area.

Hoping for some significant precipitation for the second half of February and into March, as right now it's looking like a drought year even with the serious rainfall/snowfall in October and November.

Those of you dealing with the effects from the current storms, be safe, stay warm, and may your snow shoveling be minimal.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 9

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

My home island is apparently full of Sith(pronounced 'Shee', not anyone with red lightsabers) Quite frankly, it's a miracle that I made it off the island alive! ::o:

I'll have to go back and look at pictures of Loki and Kurogane to make sure they don't have a white spot on their chest. Otherwise you might not have escaped Cat-Sith after all.

Is the Sith spelling more of a Scots Gaelic as opposed to the Irish spelling Sidhe?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I found this awesome map online, I'm probably going to order one for my painting area :wub:

il_794xN.3622685710_ehx2.thumb.jpg.c4195cca7354b9d1f57dea76ae829975.jpg

My home island is apparently full of Sith(pronounced 'Shee', not anyone with red lightsabers) Quite frankly, it's a miracle that I made it off the island alive! ::o:

As in cat-sìth?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

image.png.cea6ac0214944bc203254a5456591c10.png

Truer words have never been written. :lol:

Y'all talk a lot, you know that, right?

I've been busy for the last week or so. Work was messy because someone was on vacation, so I had to cover the desk in the office for a few days, which was fine. I ended up bringing my laptop and starting getting some writing done. I *thought* it was going to be a short story but then it ballooned into something that's almost 17k words. And then I had an idea for a follow-up, which I'm kind of half working on. I'll have to edit the first one soon. While my work is trying to get this new schedule mess figured out. Right now, I'm training someone on Sunday, getting trained Monday and Tuesday, and then working solo on Thursday and Friday. That means that I get Wednesday and Saturday off, which is going to suck. After that, it's one big mess, and I don't know what I'm doing. I'm willing to give them some slack and time to figure it out but they almost lost me when they were giving away one of the spots I wanted to someone else. We'll see how that pans out. But it's going to mean losing my weekends. Then again, I work graveyard so I never see anyone anymore. However, if I get a lot of desk shifts, I'll be able to write while at work and maybe get my side hustle off the ground.

And now it's time to catch up on some other stuff around here.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I can't remember how I signed on to their website, but there's this place called AcreValue. Meant for farming and ranching land buys, and gives you the quality of your land in a report. Just ran it on the 10 acres I inherited from my grandparents, but I'm not sure anybody but @Thoramel and maybe @Zink would understand these terms. Maybe @Cyradis but I feel she does rocks not soil.

image.png.fa8342dd91c129000fede180ff697a85.png

I mean, I get what slopes, gullied, and flooded would mean. And considering it's been pasture for more than a few centuries, I'm pretty sure the above means it's good for growing animals and that's about it. Looking them up on the USDA website basically says the same thing. Guess I'll let it keep growing squirrels, turkey, and pheasants.

As an aside, I should really read these forums more often on the computer. People's avatars make much more sense when they're not itty-bitty squares.

Indeed, I do rocks and minerals, not soils or sediments (different things). Percent slopes I assume is general topography, not soil specific. Got some steep areas, some near flat areas. I don't know what soil class or NCCPI or soil codes are. However, I know a soil scientist... if you need this forwarded. I suspect this sort of thing is pretty Googleable though 🙂

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I've noticed this year that the plow trucks move in pairs now. As is for protection in numbers....and that as time goes on their patrols are becoming less and less frequent...almost as if they're taking casualties from something...

You need to import some Canadian War Plows. Those things are fierce, and will stop for nothing and no one, and if you haven't seen the trail of droppings they leave behind, believe me, nothing wants to mess with them either. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I attended my grandpa's funeral yesterday. We weren't close, so I'm not very mournful. Anyway, I was selected to be a pallbearer. There is nothing honourary about that--it's heavy! I was so worried the entire time I would find a patch of ice to slip on and drop the casket on myself. Fortunately, it went well, expect having to have the directions repeated because of my hearing issues. We rode in this super posh coach to the graveyard. I was like, "I know it says McGuinness and Holloway (A big, well known funeral home) on the side, but I would totally have this thing at my wedding." When we get there, my sister hands me a rose from the flowers. I said, thanks, it's probably the only one I will get this month, I won't get one for Valentine's Day."  

image.png.fe19d6a53d57aca1421d74684721eb26.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I attended my grandpa's funeral yesterday. We weren't close, so I'm not very mournful. Anyway, I was selected to be a pallbearer. There is nothing honourary about that--it's heavy! I was so worried the entire time I would find a patch of ice to slip on and drop the casket on myself. Fortunately, it went well, expect having to have the directions repeated because of my hearing issues. We rode in this super posh coach to the graveyard. I was like, "I know it says McGuinness and Holloway (A big, well known funeral home) on the side, but I would totally have this thing at my wedding."

Sorry for your lose, losing g'parents is never a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

When we get there, my sister hands me a rose from the flowers. I said, thanks, it's probably the only one I will get this month, I won't get one for Valentine's Day."  

So then how about the 5th of Feb then? ::D:

4ac92b26e231a07145661d354822be60.jpg

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

Sorry for your lose, losing g'parents is never a good thing. 

So then how about the 5th of Feb then? ::D:

4ac92b26e231a07145661d354822be60.jpg

Aw, you're such a sweetheart. I hope someone does something nice and totally unexpected for you this weekend. 

Also, the cartoon merged with the totally unrelated message, therefore sending confilcting meanings. Not at all unusual here...

• Like 11