Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

So I got sent a beekeeping supply catalog. Waxed cover by the way, of course. But deep in the pages I came across a mead making kit. And my first thought was all of you.

We're driving you to drink?

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

So I got sent a beekeeping supply catalog. Waxed cover by the way, of course. But deep in the pages I came across a mead making kit. And my first thought was all of you.

This seems like a rabbit hole that @canuckotter would fall right into, where a simple query into a hobby leads to another and another, etc. etc.......

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

A tough old cowboy from South Texas counseled his grandson that if he wanted to live a long life. The secret was to sprinkle a pinch of gun powder on his oatmeal every morning

The grandson did this religiously to the age of 103 when he died

He left behind 14 children,30 grandchildren,45 great-grandchildren, 25 great-great-grandchildren and a 15 foot crater where the crematorium used to be

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

We're driving you to drink?

Uh, not really. Several members here are… precisely attuned… to the fine art of alcohol and study the consumption of various libations regularly. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Uh, not really. Several members here are… precisely attuned… to the fine art of alcohol and study the consumption of various libations regularly. 

I have taken to studying it nightly, for my health you see.

Actually, I have. One a night for heart health. This being over 40 thing isn't so bad. Only problem is I'm currently 3 weeks ahead......😁

On that note, have you ever read, not even the opening of a book, just the authors notes, and had to go "nope, not starting this right now, I need to sleep, and I won't until I'm done" ?  Neil Gaiman's 'Don't Panic' is pretty much that. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Oakleaf98 said:

I wonder if anyone remembers when Hot Topic had gothic and punk merchandise?

I went by one recently and saw they look just like Hollister Co. or such.

Never heard of either …business[?]

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

TIL that according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, literally means, among other things, "in effect: virtually". And while the Cambridge Dictionary falls short of outright saying literally means figuratively, it acknowledges "missed that kick literally by miles" as normal usage of the term.

I literally can't even, which at least I'm sure is correct, irrespective of what the hell it actually means.

Right, I'll go back to trying to save my own native language, because the battle for proper English is clearly lost. 

• Haha 10
  • Confused 2

English being the hodge-podge that it is from having been influenced and adapting for its own use from every language it has come in contact with, I'm not convinced that "proper" has any relevance outside of academic circles.  The English Language is a constantly evolving thing, with each generation making changes to a greater or lesser extent.

We have a commonly understood core, but beyond that the language gets adapted to the needs of whatever group is using it, from technical to cultural sub-groups.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Just like the New Year's Dance, the Valentine's Dance has been cancelled. ::(:

They are taking Omicon VERY seriously.

10 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

English being the hodge-podge that it is from having been influenced and adapting for its own use from every language it has come in contact with, I'm not convinced that "proper" has any relevance outside of academic circles.  The English Language is a constantly evolving thing, with each generation making changes to a greater or lesser extent.

We have a commonly understood core, but beyond that the language gets adapted to the needs of whatever group is using it, from technical to cultural sub-groups.

GEM

Grump has a quote about English not borrowing from other languages.

It lures them down dark alleys and mugs them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4