Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

17 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'll see your steak and potatoes,  and I'll raise you 3 Mandarin Oranges I just had for my break.

That does not sound very carnivorous.  (Merging is so annoying.)

21 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Yes, it is still Traveller.  Lot's of the Traveller editions have rules for alternate FTL drives, like Warp Drives or Gates, and there is no requirement for a hex based star map, though Traveller provides a means for randomly generating them, and uses them in it's default setting. 

This is really no different than playing a D&D game in a setting that is not Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. 

That map you had was a mess. 

Maybe you could adapt some software or drafting style meant for wiring diagrams  to give some order to the Mess. 

What you described sounds very much like pin-to-pin connections in a complicated wiring harness. 

(Will not look much like Traveller…)

Instead of PIN numbers you could have that alpha-numeric string that represents a stellar system at each end of the wire (thread).

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

That map you had was a mess. 

LOL. Yes, it is a mess.  Partly by design and partly because I haven't figured out how to make the most legible map of it - what I posted was about a 1/3rd of the way through one attempt to make it more legible. 

The name of this setting is "Amid The Tangled Stars" and the weirdly interconnected FTL routes of this setting are known as  The Tangle.   So yeah, it's a mess.   My ultimate goal is to have multiple maps showing the Tangle in various ways.  The easiest ones to do are the maps of the individual "threads" that connect various star systems. Those look more like strip maps that go from point a to point b, and show all the systems in between, as well as major "intersections", which are star systems that have more than one thread.  The others will show more localized areas of the Tangle, typically centered around major star systems, such as the home territories of the three known star faring races. 

I have rough versions of my individual thread maps done, but before I can do the rest of the mapping, I need to have something that attempts to show the whole as neatly as possible so I can finish placing worlds and borders. 

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

Maybe you could adapt some software or drafting style meant for wiring diagrams  to give some order to the Mess. 

What you described sounds very much like pin-to-pin connections in a complicated wiring harness. 

I was attempting to use mind mapping software to do just that - give order to the mess - before I do up my polished maps using Campaign Cartographer. 

But you inspired an idea - Software for creating printed circuit boards from an electronics schematic might be able to do a better job. 

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

Instead of PIN numbers you could have that alpha-numeric string that represents a stellar system at each end of the wire (thread).

You can't see it because of the resolution of the screen shot I posted, but most of those nodes have exactly that on them - the 8 digit alphanumeric Universal World Profile right under the world name.  There are also about 50 of them currently labelled as "undesignated" - once I get the layout of the map sorted, I will be using them to place my major worlds. 

Yes, I'm breaking away from some of Traveller's traditions.  I'm using different FTL, thus different maps, and there is no gravity manipulation, so all my space ships look more like stuff out of The Expanse, stuff like that.  But I'm using the base Traveller rules, character generation, combat system, etc for the underlying framework. 

OK, technically, I'm not using Traveller - I'm using Cepheus Engine, which is an OGL version of Mongoose Traveller 1e, blended with elements from Original Traveller and Mega Traveller.   The reason I'm using Cepheus Engine is because there is an editable OGL document available that I can use to make my own rule book for the setting, which will make it easier to do things like customize the careers to tweak what skills are available to better reflect the tech.  

In the end, from the surface, it won't look like Traveller, but anyone already familiar with any of the 2d6 editions of Traveller will recognize the core.  The group I'm aiming this campaign for has only ever played D&D, so they won't know either way.  As they'll have their own copies of the ATTS rulebook, they'll be able to compare it to any 2d6 edition of Traveller, and see more similarities than differences, and that the bulk of the differences are related to the setting.  Heck, when I first got Traveller, all that was available was the box set of little black books, and we used that to play Star Wars, Star Trek  and a couple other settings, so for me, this is really no different. 

• Like 4

With all this Traveller talk, anybody know of a good 3D map of the galaxy? In reality, not fictional. Making one of those is on my to-do list, but if someone has done the heavy lifting already…

Course, my brain’s intention is to make one sufficient for traveling around the galaxy, so would have to account for current locale apparent location, “true position”, and destination apparent location. Very unlikely I could use it for that purpose, but I have an idea for seeing Sol as part of various constellations from exoplanets. 

So many hobbies, so little time. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

With all this Traveller talk, anybody know of a good 3D map of the galaxy? In reality, not fictional. Making one of those is on my to-do list, but if someone has done the heavy lifting already…

Course, my brain’s intention is to make one sufficient for traveling around the galaxy, so would have to account for current locale apparent location, “true position”, and destination apparent location. Very unlikely I could use it for that purpose, but I have an idea for seeing Sol as part of various constellations from exoplanets. 

So many hobbies, so little time. 

I cannot recall the name(s)  or whether it/they are websites or software packages, but I know that something like this exists out there, as I've seen previous talk of it. 

Edit to add: A quick Google Search turned up this: http://www.3dgalaxymap.com/#!/Home

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sumbloke said:

SWMBO liked the look of that. She's from Malaysia. 

Thanks!

I consider that mission accomplished!

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Forgot to post dinner for the far away wolf of dubious party accessories:

ribeye, sautéed green beans, and seasoned potatoes.

F4C8951D-C582-4E0B-AA74-682C1D4B6214.thumb.jpeg.961c9c7d21080f260980afd24602aa38.jpeg

That looks great, tasty and yummie!

WOOF FOOD LOG

My girl baked a Limburgse Appelvlaai.

I made Pasta for Dinner.

20220215_154430.jpg

20220215_175135.jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I had a thought today.  What about a Star Trek series set 100% in the Mirror, Mirror universe?

There was actually some talk of doing this, or at least at a "Why didn't we?" after the ENT two-parter set in the Mirror Universe. There's actually a few comics and books set in it.

4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Ineteresting.  There's been enough world building between DS9 and Discovery to give some solid bones but lots of room to explore without upsetting the canon...

But, there's so many errors between just those two. In the first DS9 Mirror Universe episode, the Klingon/Cardassian Alliance ships are *clearly* seen de-cloaking. Then in the final DS9 Mirror Universe episode (sigh) "The Emperor's New Cloak" Regent Worf is suddenly hot for a Klingon cloaking device? Which makes zero sense as the Romulans have always been the masters of cloaking technology. Aside from the one very notable exception of the Bird Of Prey that could fire while cloaked. You know the one. For a real world explanation, the early drafts for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock involved a ROMULAN Bird of Prey but was changed to the Klingons because they were more well known.

Now, as for the whole Discovery Mirror Universe, where to begin? First of all, the whole sensitivity to light thing was clearly a "we need a dramatic twist to reveal and a quick way to do it" that kind of flies in the face of what we knew about the Mirror Universe counterparts. While the DS9 Mirror Universe used darker lighting to help show how "dark" the universe was, the original TOS "Mirror, Mirror" episode had no change in lighting, which I think made it even harsher. Next up, we have the Terran Emperor being the regent of a whole host of worlds that doesn't really make it possible for what happened in the DS9 episodes. How could the Klingons go from getting their teeth kicked in to creating a powerful enough force to help challenge the Terran Empire in a few centuries? And how would the Terran Empire NOT know about the Prime Universe after not one, but TWO, major incidents before Kirk's time? It just doesn't jive with me.

Now, all of that said, I love the Mirror Universe and think it's very neat. I do think that the canon is a mess and ST needs to stay the EFF out of the Mirror Universe from now on. It's part of what I call the "Lazy Trek Writer Trifecta" (which is Time Travel, the Borg, and the Mirror Universe or some alternate, evil version of the crew/cast). Every time a series hits these three things, it tends to fall apart, as Voyager and Enterprise both did. While Voyager didn't go full Mirror Universe, probably due to it being used in DS9, but they did have more than a few different evil or otherwise radical versions of characters. And can I just take a moment to point out how Ensign Kim was done dirty in that show. His only real character development was always done by a clone, illusion, alternate timeline version of himself, or alternate future version of himself (which was ALWAYS the worst because he would get erased). Oh, and he was also STILL a damn ensign by the end of the show. I could go on...

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

There are "checkpoints", sure, but those only create problems if the writers and show execs let them. 

Create a whole new ship and completely new cast of characters, "ban" any crossover into the "real" Trek universe, and there is a LOT more freedom there than any other Trek show would have. 

That's what I was thinking.  I would probably set the show around a rebel ship fighting the Terran Empire & fighting ISS ships, and make the time period in between the TOS and TNG timelines. And as I mentioned to TGP above, I would "ban" any episodes that involve cross over to the "real" trek universe or it's characters, except for possibly the first episodes or the final episodes.  For example, the series could start immediately after the TOS episode Mirror, Mirror, and rebels could start off as a band of former crew members of the ISS-1701 who were inspired by Kirk.   And/or, the series finales could show the events leading to mirror-Kira becoming the ruler she was prior to the first DS9 mirror episode.  But I'd only do those if studio execs insisted on some cross over.   Otherwise, all new characters and ships. 

I actually like this idea. I would like to see either TMP (movies) era of the Empire falling apart or a post-DS9 era series where the rebellion is trying to put things back together without being as terrible as the Alliance or the Empire before it. Give me some Mirror Universe Romulans, please!

Ahem. Why, yes, I do have strong feelings about Star Trek and the Mirror Universe... :ph34r:

Now, I'm going to do some dishes and continue jamming out to my Showa era Godzilla tunes.

• Like 7