Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Non-sequitor: Have we got any idea how the population here breaks down with respect to mostly display painters vs mostly gaming painters?

What about those of us who do a bit of both?

Most of minis are intended for gaming purposes, but I try to achieve the highest level I can on them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Non-sequitor: Have we got any idea how the population here breaks down with respect to mostly display painters vs mostly gaming painters?

I consider myself a gaming painter when I do actually paint miniatures. I think in the past year I've done more quick wash jobs then anything else.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

What about painters that haven't had a game in almost 2 years due to the 'rona, paint minis but don't display them and carefully put them away into box of completion because looking at them is too stressful because all they can see is flaws? 

Asking for a friend, obviously :ph34r:

Edited by Kuroneko
Double post and it won't delete Robs' name :'(
  • Like 2
  • Haha 16

34 minutes ago, haldir said:

I consider myself a gaming painter when I do actually paint miniatures. I think in the past year I've done more quick wash jobs then anything else.

You should consider this topic for a daily question. It is the perfect fodder. Perhaps as a multi part weekend inquiry. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I’m going to say it’s more than 80% gaming painters. I feel most of the display painters are in the WIP and Show Off threads, or just too busy painting to post. 

Now failed display painters, we have those in spades! We like to hang out here because randomness helps clear our heads from those nasty things our brains say about our work when we step into the WIP and Show Off threads. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

So, for what it’s worth, I’m just considering the dichotomy in terms of what it means about what painting techniques makes sense, what a “good” miniature consists of, and so forth.  The question of scale creep has some bearing as well; the desire for more detail and more “paintability” pushes figures bigger to some extent.

Someone commented that one of my recently painted Ral Partha figures looked like a halfling.  Here’s a vintage Ral Partha, Sir Forescale, and one of the even bigger more recent Reaper figures:

158AC3E9-05BE-4241-8A85-99F9FA7C0DFD.jpeg.fb5d3caa1fb74370a445ad3c6accfb8e.jpeg

All nominally “25mm” …

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Don't forget the non-painters.  There's many here who haven't picked up a brush in years.   I paint for gaming, but some end up on display.  There's also competition painters, which I don't think we have too many of in here. 

Snow coming down from all directions, I can barely see across the street this morning. 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

…The question of scale creep…

Were it in my power I would inform companies that create miniatures that they could no longer use the word “scale” at all, for any purpose. 

Hasslefree, GeeDub, Privateer, Minifigs, …all of them. They’d be forbidden to use the word scale. Reaper as well. 

It is a word that should mean something. 

But as employed by the entire industry, it means nothing. 

When the mighty Pendrake the Great assumes power, becomes the Grand Over-Emperor, and establishes the Inquisition—an entire Inquisitorial Infantry Division will be devoted to policing the business models of the miniature making industry, and all use of the word scale will be eradicated. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Now failed display painters, we have those in spades! We like to hang out here because randomness helps clear our heads from those nasty things our brains say about our work when we step into the WIP and Show Off threads. 

I feel personally attacked by this statement ::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Ah Thursday, nice to see you again, but please stop trying to emulate your big brother Monday!

It's mostly my fault today.   Those rants I've previously posted about people not understanding time zones?  Yeah, I failed to do that yesterday, and it bit me this morning. 

Made an appointment yesterday with a site owner in a midwestern state, thinking she was in the same time zone as me, not realizing she was in one of those states that has both Eastern and Central time zone. So I got into the office at 8:15am, thinking I had plenty of time for our 9am appointment, only to find several emails and phone calls from her, and realizing I was the one who was late. 

• Like 8

I picked up those new crabs from Reaper in my monthly order and I really like them. I'm going to keep the small one around and use him for a base decoration. Now, what mini needs a tiny angry crab at their feet?

This week has been rough, physically. I've just been tired and sore all week and I just want to sleep forever. However, I have to work tonight. At least it's at a desk.

As for the painting question, I am technically a "gaming painter" but mostly I just put paint on things so I can tell them apart. :lol:

• Like 9