Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

3 hours ago, sumbloke said:

My mother has always liked steak well done. So growing up I only ever ate it well done or more. I think I was a teenager when I first had medium-ish and felt like "so this is what steak's supposed to be like..."

What my mother would do to a cut of meat should have been outlawed.  I was 13 years old before I could actually eat a steak (an uncle was pretty handy at the grill) because of that.  I was 30, or nearly so, before I could handle pork chops (Mrs. Strawhat did that cooking).

When Grandma Strawhat was still around we would gather that branch of the family (about 12 of us, plus some spouses, etc.) at a local steak house once a year.  One of my cousins and I were the only ones to order a steak anything less than "medium well".  The entire family wanted us to sit at the far end of the table so they wouldn't have to see our plates covered in the myoglobin (red juicy stuff).  I generally order my steak done rare or medium rare.  It's not like we were eating our steaks blue or tartar.

11 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Non-sequitor: Have we got any idea how the population here breaks down with respect to mostly display painters vs mostly gaming painters?

I'm mostly a gaming painter, although I've done a few things for "display."  I do my level best to make the things to the best standard I can, but I wouldn't enter them into a (real) competition with any expectation of winning an award.  But, for the last few years, I've painted primarily for Imperial Assault and am now working on HeroQuest (all for games).  And I'll be starting a Warhammer 40,000 army pretty soon, too.

• Like 9

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shoot.

I finally downloaded the anniversary edition of Skyrim. As well as the PS5 version. 

Absolutely gorgeous. Just blows my mind how much better the graphics are.

The only problem… is that I have to start over on the trophies 😩 I nearly had the PS4 version platinumed too!

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Well shoot.

I finally downloaded the anniversary edition of Skyrim. As well as the PS5 version. 

Absolutely gorgeous. Just blows my mind how much better the graphics are.

The only problem… is that I have to start over on the trophies 😩 I nearly had the PS4 version platinumed too!

Be very careful about adding mods or Creation Club on Playstation. The 0k bug still hasn't been fixed and it affects PS5 as well. It's existed for awhile now, but Creation Club stuff tends to trigger it more often. With the CC content now permenently added to the game, it comes up often.

What the 0k bug is, is basically a memory error, that disables your ability to save your game. The pain in the elf bit is when it hits, you have to delete the game from your system, and your save game files because they probably got corrupted, and reload everything manually. It's an issue neither Sony or Bethesda have been willing to deal with for years and with Bethesda now owned by Microsoft, I have my doubts it ever will be. It effects Fallout 4 too. 

Right before the new edition came out I took my PS4 offline to avoid the mandatory update because I suspected the CC content would trigger it. Of course I only bought myself a certain amount of time, as the 0k bug is a ticking time bomb, and when I next get hit by it, I'll lose the mods anyway since only the new version of Skyrim is available now....cue rant about destructive and annoying updates...

On a brighter note, tonight's experiment was cloning the BK Original Chicken sandwich.

100_2744.JPG.67216ebcb363fa987c56135dc7baaf9c.JPG

Flavorwise it came out well, however to match the BK visually I'll have to grind and shape the chicken, find a breading other than Panko, and add seeds to the buns. Pan fried in the skillet using a canola oil/butter mix. In the future I may try an olive oil/butter mix, as over the last few months I've been trying to cut down on seed oil consumption. Which is why I'm hoarding beef tallow, I plan on using that for fries, and have been weaning myself from the deep fryer for several months now. 

So far from last summer I've gone down 5 pounds  from the 235 I've been stuck at since getting run over by the truck in 2017, to just under 230 now, and I've noticed I've got less of the "foggy and listless" feeling as well just from the scratch cooking. Of course the next part is forcing myself back into the exercise routine again, which I dropped in 2020 after being stricken by the Plague, and the recent bolt of freezing weather is not helping on that front since the garage is unheated. 

• Like 12

It's so nice to be able to bring my laptop to work and peruse the forums. I can't wait until I get to sit at desks all the time...

It's a shame I can't bring my paints with me and get some of that work done. No, I'm not even going to try, no matter how tempted I am. And yes I am very tempted.

About the various food conversations, I make lasagna when I bring a lady to my apartment. It takes forever, it uses so many dishes, but it is amazing and I make a mean lasagna. However, that means I haven't made it in years.

When it comes to steak, I am like a few of you, having a parent ruin the enjoyment of meat by thinking well done is the only way to get it. Having become enlightened, I usually go for medium rare to rare, depending on the place's reputation. I also know, from friends in the food industry, that if you order a steak well done, you're going to get the oldest, toughest, and worst piece of meat they have. Because the cooks know that you're never going to know the difference. I understand that some people like it that way and some people have to have it that way and they have my sympathy.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Non-sequitor: Have we got any idea how the population here breaks down with respect to mostly display painters vs mostly gaming painters?

I don't play games with my minis, so basically I'm a display painter.

Most of what I paint is build/painted to be part of an Amry or Warband that could be played with, I also paint busts or larger scale stuff once in a while.

Am I good enough to be called a display painter? No idea, I paint and put the mini in a cabinet on display, so I guess I fit the description.

Of course the REAL reason I paint is that like the Ancient Pharaohs and the Chinese Emperor Qin Shi Huang with his Terracotta Army, I hope my armies will help me to conquer the Afterlife Realm when it's time for me to go.

@Pegazus I might be an exception to your rule, despite painting for display I also tend to post a"few" times a day...

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Be very careful about adding mods or Creation Club on Playstation. The 0k bug still hasn't been fixed and it affects PS5 as well. It's existed for awhile now, but Creation Club stuff tends to trigger it more often. With the CC content now permenently added to the game, it comes up often.

What the 0k bug is, is basically a memory error, that disables your ability to save your game. The pain in the elf bit is when it hits, you have to delete the game from your system, and your save game files because they probably got corrupted, and reload everything manually. It's an issue neither Sony or Bethesda have been willing to deal with for years and with Bethesda now owned by Microsoft, I have my doubts it ever will be. It effects Fallout 4 too. 

Right before the new edition came out I took my PS4 offline to avoid the mandatory update because I suspected the CC content would trigger it. Of course I only bought myself a certain amount of time, as the 0k bug is a ticking time bomb, and when I next get hit by it, I'll lose the mods anyway since only the new version of Skyrim is available now....cue rant about destructive and annoying updates...

On a brighter note, tonight's experiment was cloning the BK Original Chicken sandwich.

100_2744.JPG.67216ebcb363fa987c56135dc7baaf9c.JPG

Flavorwise it came out well, however to match the BK visually I'll have to grind and shape the chicken, find a breading other than Panko, and add seeds to the buns. Pan fried in the skillet using a canola oil/butter mix. In the future I may try an olive oil/butter mix, as over the last few months I've been trying to cut down on seed oil consumption. Which is why I'm hoarding beef tallow, I plan on using that for fries, and have been weaning myself from the deep fryer for several months now. 

So far from last summer I've gone down 5 pounds  from the 235 I've been stuck at since getting run over by the truck in 2017, to just under 230 now, and I've noticed I've got less of the "foggy and listless" feeling as well just from the scratch cooking. Of course the next part is forcing myself back into the exercise routine again, which I dropped in 2020 after being stricken by the Plague, and the recent bolt of freezing weather is not helping on that front since the garage is unheated. 

I actually got hit by that bug, back in he olden days of the ps3. I thought they had fixed it, because I didn’t have the problem at all on my PS4, even after I downloaded the creation club stuff. So far so good on the PS5. 

If I recall correctly, on the PS3 the solution was to turn off auto saves. I just had to remember to save often.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

May all your callers fear to do upgrades before a weekend. 

yes, please.

So far, today's only call has been someone with a stuck key on a keypad. Unfortunately, it's a small site, and the stuck key means the whole site is down until i can get them a replacement keypad.   

Sucks to be them. 

• Sad 7

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20220217

Remember the phrase “some assembly required” ??

That phrase is always a lie. It really means things like: a large number of assembly steps required… or …there’s a considerable spot of bother to put this together… or …much assembly effort needed.

And so it was with yesterday’s foray into sandwich making. (Blessed be the Earl of Sandwich)

16E86780-6A68-4AB5-A252-A988BAD3B221.thumb.jpeg.2a99d221384fc27a5e71184291c67d04.jpeg

• Like 8

I live on the corner of a paved road and a frequently travelled dirt/rock road.  On the dirt/rock road 2-3 times a year (at least), the city lays down a new layer of rock. This has been going on the five years I've lived here that I know of, but this house has been here for 22 years, so it's probable that the city has been doing it at least as long. 

The road isn't getting any higher, so the rocks are having to be pushed down into the soil, which makes sense, given the conditions after a couple weeks of rain or snow melt. 

They're laying another layer today, and watching them do this has me thinking - 22 years of this.  Assuming 22 years at about an inch a layer, and two layers a year minimum means that by now that road has to have at least 44" of a rock/soil mix.  And it's likely that it's thicker than that, because I can recall at least three times a year for the last couple of years - might even be four times a year. However, maybe not - it's also probable that it's being pushed out and underneath my grass and the cornfield across the street. I don't know, I'm no expert on these things. 

I would love to see a 10 foot deep trench dug across that road so I could see a cross section of what it looks like. 

• Like 10