Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

On 2/18/2022 at 10:12 AM, kristof65 said:

I live on the corner of a paved road and a frequently travelled dirt/rock road.  On the dirt/rock road 2-3 times a year (at least), the city lays down a new layer of rock. This has been going on the five years I've lived here that I know of, but this house has been here for 22 years, so it's probable that the city has been doing it at least as long. 

The road isn't getting any higher, so the rocks are having to be pushed down into the soil, which makes sense, given the conditions after a couple weeks of rain or snow melt. 

They're laying another layer today, and watching them do this has me thinking - 22 years of this.  Assuming 22 years at about an inch a layer, and two layers a year minimum means that by now that road has to have at least 44" of a rock/soil mix.  And it's likely that it's thicker than that, because I can recall at least three times a year for the last couple of years - might even be four times a year. However, maybe not - it's also probable that it's being pushed out and underneath my grass and the cornfield across the street. I don't know, I'm no expert on these things. 

I would love to see a 10 foot deep trench dug across that road so I could see a cross section of what it looks like. 

I was just last night watching an excavation of a Roman road section.  I think I too would like to see a cross section. As long as I didn't have to dig the trench by hand. 

On 2/19/2022 at 1:17 AM, TGP said:

Stupidest thing I have seen today…

82e95969-00a9-4fba-bd3c-acf7516ad960.925

This is a Fake Thor’s Hammer. It unfolds to reveal a basic and probably cheap toolkit. 

It's not that dumb really. Most people never really need much more than that in the way of tools, and it keeps them in a decent enough, and kinda geek-chic kit that you can probably always find. 

• Like 9

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:
17 hours ago, TGP said:

…Hot Mustard…

You can accomplish a similar effect with the addition of horseradish to your favorite mustard, or actually any condiment.

I checked the ingredients on the bottle for horseradish and I was surprised not to see it. I am going to check again. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Is it possible we're getting the fallout of the Dutch storm? I just drove through the worst whiteout I can remember ever driving in.

No that is not possible. 

Unless you have recently moved to Latvia, Germany, Poland, or Ukraine ? …and the stated location in your forum profile is inaccurate.

Weather in the Northern Hemisphere travels East—it always generally moves East. 

Whatever weather conditions Vancouver gets will be your weather 2-6 hours later. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I checked the ingredients on the bottle for horseradish and I was surprised not to see it. I am going to check again. 

Check the list for any spice with a "kick". 

Horseradish is a traditional ingredient to "spice up" a condiment because of the variety of areas where it grows, making it locally available in a lot of areas where other ingredients with a similar effect would historically be costly and/or scarce.

GEM

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TGP said:

"Hot" mustard is easily made with very few ingredients.  https://detoxinista.com/homemade-spicy-mustard/  You can sweeten it with honey or sugar.  But if you lack the proper alchemical tools, it may be easier to have it delivered by ninjas. 

• Like 7

Just had power restored, Eunice blacked us out midday on Friday. No structural damage to the house, but the garden looks like a bomb-site and I think the ducks may need psycho-therapy.

So no lights, heating or cooking, 2 days of tinned soup on our old camping stove.

Tried to drive out of the farm to the next village today and was glad I'd brought the chainsaw with me:

274049858_273770741553052_2643973481517377463_n.jpg.1fc6617f271868b6974bf5da1fccd088.jpg

Trickiest thing of all? With absolutely no source of amusement once the sun went down, wife and I had to spend the evenings TALKING TO EACH OTHER!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

38 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Just had power restored, Eunice blacked us out midday on Friday. No structural damage to the house, but the garden looks like a bomb-site and I think the ducks may need psycho-therapy.

So no lights, heating or cooking, 2 days of tinned soup on our old camping stove.

Tried to drive out of the farm to the next village today and was glad I'd brought the chainsaw with me:

274049858_273770741553052_2643973481517377463_n.jpg.1fc6617f271868b6974bf5da1fccd088.jpg

Trickiest thing of all? With absolutely no source of amusement once the sun went down, wife and I had to spend the evenings TALKING TO EACH OTHER!!

Ah, the lost art of conversation. :rolleyes:

• Like 8

Cancelled an Amazon order two weeks ago. Placed it the first of January and other than printing a FedEx label, the seller didn’t do anything. It showed up today, and was picked up last Wednesday.

Their problem. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

12 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Cancelled an Amazon order two weeks ago. Placed it the first of January and other than printing a FedEx label, the seller didn’t do anything. It showed up today, and was picked up last Wednesday.

Their problem. 

I am confused.

I box of something actually turned up?

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, TGP said:

I am confused.

I box of something actually turned up?

Yup! We contacted the seller since it had been three weeks with no action since placing the order (five weeks total). The seller then cancelled our order as Amazon wouldn’t (shipping label had been printed; lil seller trick there). This was maybe two weeks ago. But seems that while they refunded the money, they didn’t actually cancel the order on their side, and thus finally fulfilled it this week, seven weeks after making the order.

So I have $60 of Peet’s canned iced espresso that I didn’t pay for. I would feel bad for the seller had it just got lost in FedEx’s system. FedEx’s tracking says it was picked up Wednesday, not seven weeks ago.  This is on the seller alone.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

So what is it?

Bratwurst with a curry sauce that is mostly ketchup.

It was invented by a German woman after WWII, when a British soldier gave her a bottle of ketchup and a jar of curry powder.

The ketchup is what threw Megan for a loop - but the actual sauce is more like a barbecue sauce than straight ketchup. (Remember, the root of barbecue sauce is just ketchup and mustard mixed together, with other stuff added to season.)

Not my recipe - but then I don't really have a recipe for it, I just sort of make it up on the spot, different every time - mine has honey, paprika, cinnamon, allspice, and mustard/mustard powder, but no baking soda. On occasion it has also included chocolate. ::P:

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1