Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a nice fog looming outside right now, hope it sticks around. 

As I was lurking about in it, the thought came to me that the humble onion ring bears within it the sacred mystery of Ouroboros, and a connection to the ancient Egyption God Mehen, a protective deity, mentioned in the Coffin Texts,a collection of funerary spells...I'm thinking that perhaps I ought to add a couple onion rings to the libation wine next time I'm at the cemetery. This also would explain the wearing of belt onions. (as was the fashion once upon a time)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

There's a nice fog looming outside right now, hope it sticks around. 

As I was lurking about in it, the thought came to me that the humble onion ring bears within it the sacred mystery of Ouroboros, and a connection to the ancient Egyption God Mehen, a protective deity, mentioned in the Coffin Texts,a collection of funerary spells...I'm thinking that perhaps I ought to add a couple onion rings to the libation wine next time I'm at the cemetery. This also would explain the wearing of belt onions. (as was the fashion once upon a time)

Onions are known today for their protective value through the phyto-nutrients they contain.

GEM

Where it is currently snowing.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Where it is currently snowing.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and did my weekly a shopping a little early. This way I beat the rush, and don't have to worry about bare store shelves since everyone around here feels the need to buy ALL.THE.FOOD. because the report of winter weather obviously means that the second ice age is coming. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

For all my American friends:  How do I find out how long it would take a parcel to get from Indianapolis to Minneapolis? My sister's friend is coming to visit... possibly with minis.

When I was a subscriber with Paizo, the shipping was unreal. Being that they are in Redmond, WA, which is a suburb of Seattle, so figure located north of WA state. Now I'm right in the middle of the eastern border in OR, so not that long of a journey, oh no, it would take probably 2 weeks + to get here. That was using their cheapest rate as Paizo also charged outrageous postage, but it still shouldn't have taken that long to get books & other products from them. In the end, it just added up to me not really wanting the products anymore + a decline in liking Pathfinder didn't help either.

With the slowness now of the USPS, who knows these days, like @Green Eyed Monsty says, only know now by shipping the product out.

• Like 7

I had the good fortune yesterday to have a paid holiday off. So spent most of the day playing Skyrim.

It was glorious. I haven’t done that in years. 

I did take breaks, because I had to tend my kidling, but it was play, play, play!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I had the good fortune yesterday to have a paid holiday off. So spent most of the day playing Skyrim.

It was glorious. I haven’t done that in years. 

I did take breaks, because I had to tend my kidling, but it was play, play, play!

What does kidling do for fun while Mommy plays Skyrim?

And if anyone deserves a day like that once in a while it is you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

For all my American friends:  How do I find out how long it would take a parcel to get from Indianapolis to Minneapolis? My sister's friend is coming to visit... possibly with minis.

There's a chart you can consult: 

Spoiler

270174346_1123810381498008_8922605835302061097_n.png.ff8bce153ea013c6251d39b04b37cf21.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

I watched a video yesterday about crypto and NFTs and it started with what caused the Great Recession. The parallels are there but there's one key difference: Crypto isn't regulated. At all. It's like the 1980s stock market but with even more graft. I still don't understand how people still think that these things are still going to be around in 10-20 years. I doubt they'll be around, as they are, in five years.

Anyway. I spent last night at the desk and got some writing in. I wasn't really feeling it, listening to stuff on YouTube instead, but finally buckled down and got some work done. I hope to have the whole thing done by the end of the week. Best laid plans and all that...

• Like 7

So, it occurs to me that most evil geniuses/mad scientists probably don't start out that way. They probably start out with all sorts of good intentions and ways that they want to help mankind, but then something happens to them along the way,  and they end up in a secret volcano lair working on creating an army of winged monkeys. 

This idea occurred to me on my way in to work this morning after I was blinded by some mutton head with those incredibly bright (and even more incredibly annoying)  halogen headlights. 

Once I was able to see enough to not wreck my car,  my mind began wondering about the ways in which I could turn that around and reflect those beams back where they came from. 

I came up with reflective, but somehow still see through films and/or coatings for the windowshield/windows, and went all the way up to deployable mirrors and lasers a la James Bond. Eventually,  my mind got around to considerations of legality,  and I put the whole exercise to rest.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here searching the internet for out of the way islands for sale,  volcanos optional. 

• Like 14