Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

reflect those beams back where they came from. 

I came up with reflective, but somehow still see through films and/or coatings for the windowshield/windows, and went all the way up to deployable mirrors and lasers a la James Bond. Eventually,  my mind got around to considerations of legality,  and I put the whole exercise to rest.

Maybe @Pegazus can come up with something. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, it occurs to me that most evil geniuses/mad scientists probably don't start out that way. They probably start out with all sorts of good intentions and ways that they want to help mankind, but then something happens to them along the way,  and they end up in a secret volcano lair working on creating an army of winged monkeys. 

Sadly, i think you're right. 

In most of my D&D campaigns, the BBEG and their chief LTs are usually built with that exact premise in mind. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

….all the way up to deployable mirrors and lasers a la James Bond. Eventually,  my mind got around to considerations of legality,  and I put the whole exercise to rest.

Use reflecting tape on your vehicle.

Bright color and high contrast make objects visible at night. That's why it's a good idea to have some reflecting tape somewhere on your vehicle, especially if the vehicle is a dark color.

Right. So the blue lettering is a quote from a legit Insurance Company. https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/auto-and-vehicles/night-driving
So tape might be legal?

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, it occurs to me that most evil geniuses/mad scientists probably don't start out that way. They probably start out with all sorts of good intentions and ways that they want to help mankind, but then something happens to them along the way,  and they end up in a secret volcano lair working on creating an army of winged monkeys. 

This idea occurred to me on my way in to work this morning after I was blinded by some mutton head with those incredibly bright (and even more incredibly annoying)  halogen headlights. 

Once I was able to see enough to not wreck my car,  my mind began wondering about the ways in which I could turn that around and reflect those beams back where they came from. 

I came up with reflective, but somehow still see through films and/or coatings for the windowshield/windows, and went all the way up to deployable mirrors and lasers a la James Bond. Eventually,  my mind got around to considerations of legality,  and I put the whole exercise to rest.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here searching the internet for out of the way islands for sale,  volcanos optional. 

Gold foil, as NASA used (uses?) on space suit helmets is extremely reflective, but can be made thin enough to see through. AND, you can actually run a mild electrical current through it to create heat for defrosting. (both parts are technology already invented, and at one time employed in the auto industry)

Edited by ShadowRaven
Tim, may be an enchanter, but that doesn't mean he can 'spell'
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, TGP said:

Maybe @Pegazus can come up with something. 

I’m a big proponent of CTCMs.

Car To Car Missiles. 

Yup. I … probably could have a prototype in a month or so if I was motivated. 

Which I am not.

But feels good pressing that imaginary button on the dash. 

Speaking of which, Evil Inc, 10-25-2016…

7FF27E6B-0C70-4561-86E7-83AA24B64FA4.jpeg.a6b3f0846021ddeb39e81911c724418b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

This idea occurred to me on my way in to work this morning after I was blinded by some mutton head with those incredibly bright (and even more incredibly annoying)  halogen headlights. 

Once I was able to see enough to not wreck my car,  my mind began wondering about the ways in which I could turn that around and reflect those beams back where they came from. 

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here searching the internet for out of the way islands for sale,  volcanos optional. 

I believe there's a quote for that: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

• Like 6

Woke up to a dusting of snow and it still coming down.

Screenshot_20220222-082916_Ring.thumb.jpg.e0c35d17e1d8f66aae909e246a9bb2e4.jpg

Hopefully the road is clear, husband has errands to run. He has to, of many things, pick up antibiotics for Romana. She has a dual infection behind her ear. Part of it is just stronger than the antibiotics that they used the first time hence the second run. The other is an antibiotic resistant infection. They think that if we can get the first infection cleared up the other will clear up as well.

In other news, my new Game Envy KS wet palette is out for delivery. Which is good because I am, fingers crossed, getting the mini for this commission that I have.

• Like 9

Ah, yes. Snow on the ground. Because it's February, in Washington, and that's apparently a thing we're doing now.

I'd enjoy it more if everything else wasn't horrible.

*sigh* The Saga of the Well continues... slowly.

Well drilling tomorrow. Testing once they actually hit water. After that... uh. They're supposedly decommissioning the old well, but anything else? Our problem...

which means I have no idea when we'll actually have running water. Might be next week, might be next month, and next month seems more likely.

I'm ... not thrilled. We're going on the 3/4 of a year with no water mark here, and I am completely *just imagine some appropriate profanity* done with this.

Because we're not allowed to have nice things, my desktop computer has thrown a widget - specifically, the system drive - and is currently completely down... after replacing the mainboard (that was.. probably? not it), upgrading the OS (No, Linux would not help, please don't suggest it), and purchasing a UPS on the theory that maybe the iffy power is the problem.... and I have a tyrannosaurus-sized bone to pick with the *again .. profanity, I'm sure most of you can fill in the blanks* who decided that desktop components don't need to tell you when they're broken.

If it isn't working, I need to know which component is borked. I need to know this, because if I know which component is borked, I know what I actually need to replace, and am thus spared .. what, two weeks or so of stress I didn't need?

*sigh* Can I just have things work, please?

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

20 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Ah, yes. Snow on the ground. Because it's February, in Washington, and that's apparently a thing we're doing now.

I'd enjoy it more if everything else wasn't horrible.

*sigh* The Saga of the Well continues... slowly.

Well drilling tomorrow. Testing once they actually hit water. After that... uh. They're supposedly decommissioning the old well, but anything else? Our problem...

which means I have no idea when we'll actually have running water. Might be next week, might be next month, and next month seems more likely.

I'm ... not thrilled. We're going on the 3/4 of a year with no water mark here, and I am completely *just imagine some appropriate profanity* done with this.

Because we're not allowed to have nice things, my desktop computer has thrown a widget - specifically, the system drive - and is currently completely down... after replacing the mainboard (that was.. probably? not it), upgrading the OS (No, Linux would not help, please don't suggest it), and purchasing a UPS on the theory that maybe the iffy power is the problem.... and I have a tyrannosaurus-sized bone to pick with the *again .. profanity, I'm sure most of you can fill in the blanks* who decided that desktop components don't need to tell you when they're broken.

If it isn't working, I need to know which component is borked. I need to know this, because if I know which component is borked, I know what I actually need to replace, and am thus spared .. what, two weeks or so of stress I didn't need?

*sigh* Can I just have things work, please?

sQioUpA.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, haldir said:

sQioUpA.png

I had the thought of starting an appliance company. The hook would be that there wouldn’t be a single transistor thus zero chips. Mechanical controls only, with some very minor electrical components. 

• Like 11