Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

It's funny the Classic Rock channel on iheartradio does 2fers on Tuesday, just like the classic rock station on old fashion radio stations did back in the day. I make it a point to listen to that station that day. I guess it's the little things that help me make it through a work night, or day at home.

 

Someone pointed out the red button..........

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIopdieC87C-qYu1zxDRa

 

Watched Goldfinger the other night on tv.

 

Another movie with a great button reference [and IMHO a Great Movie] is The Great Race;  "Push the button Max!"

It also has the best pie fight ever.

GEM

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. I hope everyone is having as great day as they can. It is a cold day here; Monday was a high of 71 yesterday 20.  today i have not checked yet, but the doorbells were back in from going outside this morning in under 5 mins. and when I ran out to 'rescue' the elder cat it was very cold. weather app says 7 but feels like -11.... great day to stay home. a system is moving in, it did snow some yesterday not even a dusting really, but rain sleet and a smidge of snow... problem is my youngest son has play rehearsal tonight and Thursday is the first of three shows, so I may have to drive him over. Our Chewy and Sam's Club order arrived yesterday and is mostly put up. Work continues on my PbP, which is going pretty good. I have 'stopped' work on my 5e game, more because I have been wanting to work on GURPS stuff more than anything, but I will pick it back up after a while.  All in all, things are going good here. I did hear an 'alarm' this morning. this might sound wierd, when you have an alarm on your phine and it is set to vibrate, there of course is a 'noise'. even if you do not have a tone set to it. I heard this this morning, a couple of times. Wife says I am crazy, which yes I am, but I do not know. There have been some really good deals on the Bay of E on GURPS books lately, some I have gotten, but now I need to curtail my spending.... still some good deals... darn you Bay of E.... oh well, I gwt to practice the NO, to myself. 

ANyways, Hope you are doing good. stay safe all. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it Friday yet?

Have a customer who is concerned about a bug in her system who won't stop calling/emailing me about it, and a software engineer who won't respond to my inquiries about it.  This was first discovered 2 months ago, and this week the customer has really stepped up the pressure. 

It is a bug that only occurs under very specific conditions - the equipment has to fault out by not being able to dispense change and the next customer has to try to make a specific type of transaction.  Which means that if a site is taking care of their equipment and making sure it's always stocked with change, then the chance of it occurring is very, very low. 

I get why the customer is concerned, and I also get why the engineer hasn't dealt with it yet, but it really sucks being caught between the two.  All I can really do is assure the customer that if she is taking proper care of her site & equipment, she's unlikely to experience it again. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

We've got another storm, with only 50mph winds this time. Our mini greenhouse got loose of it's moorings and tried to escape but luckily it couldn't climb the fence to see the neighbours trampoline which is currently doing lazy laps of their garden. Just spent half an hour in the wind and rain corralling and tethering the greenhouse so hopefully it'll stay put now. The trampoline remains at large, hopefully it won't end up like this one in Edinburgh

 

1_tramp.jpg.e54ab7e924882c9c3f1e33f6f1713bc5.jpg

 

That's the worst bounce house I've ever seen.

  • Haha 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That star map I posted earlier that looked like a tangled mess? 

Here's the latest iteration work in progress, using Printed Circuit board designing software, as inspired by one of you:

image.thumb.png.f1fe3ce406c9923130f7c85660cd1a56.png

The mess in the upper left corner is all of the components I still have to place on the "board" before I can run the auto-route function to map all the traces. 

If anyone with any electronics experience were to look at my "schematic" for the circuit, they should immediately say "Well that circuit's not going to work!" 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, one of the things I've discovered about my body as I've gotten older is that I can get extremely dry skin. On my hands. On my knuckles. Since we've dried out (and dropped to ice cold), my knuckles look like I got in a fight. It's not like I need to use my hands for anything. Nope. Not at all. I've got some cream I can put on my hands but I'm only suppose to when I go to bed and then I have to wear something over them. I usually use old socks. I think I'm going to put on a layer after I finish cooking.

I'm also writing at work this week and it is fun times. When things quiet down and I put my music on, I can actually get stuff done. Tonight I got a call that someone thought they heard a dog on a patio after midnight. It was something like 20 degrees in Freedom Units and the wind was blowing. I poked around and couldn't hear anything but I will do something terrible if I find out someone actually did something like that. I hoping that the dog was at the patio door and whining, rather than being outside.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

We've got another storm, with only 50mph winds this time. Our mini greenhouse got loose of it's moorings and tried to escape but luckily it couldn't climb the fence to see the neighbours trampoline which is currently doing lazy laps of their garden. Just spent half an hour in the wind and rain corralling and tethering the greenhouse so hopefully it'll stay put now. The trampoline remains at large, hopefully it won't end up like this one in Edinburgh

 

1_tramp.jpg.e54ab7e924882c9c3f1e33f6f1713bc5.jpg

 

We seem to have escaped the worse of the windy weather down here in the South.

 

Although I noticed today that it did blow over Portaloo, hopefully no one was inside at the time!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That star map I posted earlier that looked like a tangled mess? 

Here's the latest iteration work in progress, using Printed Circuit board designing software, as inspired by one of you:

image.thumb.png.f1fe3ce406c9923130f7c85660cd1a56.png

The mess in the upper left corner is all of the components I still have to place on the "board" before I can run the auto-route function to map all the traces. 

If anyone with any electronics experience were to look at my "schematic" for the circuit, they should immediately say "Well that circuit's not going to work!" 

 

I have very minor experience. I worked in a circuit board factory for about 10 years, but my area of expertise was the drill and route programs for CNC machines. I did near the end of my time there get into traces and such.  I look forward to your final drawing. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Is it Friday yet?

Have a customer who is concerned about a bug in her system who won't stop calling/emailing me about it, and a software engineer who won't respond to my inquiries about it.  This was first discovered 2 months ago, and this week the customer has really stepped up the pressure. 

It is a bug that only occurs under very specific conditions - the equipment has to fault out by not being able to dispense change and the next customer has to try to make a specific type of transaction.  Which means that if a site is taking care of their equipment and making sure it's always stocked with change, then the chance of it occurring is very, very low. 

I get why the customer is concerned, and I also get why the engineer hasn't dealt with it yet, but it really sucks being caught between the two.  All I can really do is assure the customer that if she is taking proper care of her site & equipment, she's unlikely to experience it again. 

You might write an email to the engineer and "accidentally" send it to the customer discussing the bug.

That way she can bug the engineer directly and get off your back.

For the record, how many times has this particular bug presented itself?

GEM

1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

So, one of the things I've discovered about my body as I've gotten older is that I can get extremely dry skin. On my hands. On my knuckles. Since we've dried out (and dropped to ice cold), my knuckles look like I got in a fight. It's not like I need to use my hands for anything. Nope. Not at all. I've got some cream I can put on my hands but I'm only suppose to when I go to bed and then I have to wear something over them. I usually use old socks. I think I'm going to put on a layer after I finish cooking.

I'm also writing at work this week and it is fun times. When things quiet down and I put my music on, I can actually get stuff done. Tonight I got a call that someone thought they heard a dog on a patio after midnight. It was something like 20 degrees in Freedom Units and the wind was blowing. I poked around and couldn't hear anything but I will do something terrible if I find out someone actually did something like that. I hoping that the dog was at the patio door and whining, rather than being outside.

You might try some baby oil for the dry skin.  I use it and it helps a lot.

When shopping, try to find an unscented oil , otherwise you will have the faint aroma of freshly washed baby following you around.

GEM

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Today is National banana bread day, it is also National dog biscuit day. Don't make a mistake and celebrate by eating the wrong one.  

 

Or go right ahead if you want to,  I'm not the boss of you. ::P:

  • Haha 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is National banana bread day, it is also National dog biscuit day. Don't make a mistake and celebrate by eating the wrong one.  

 

Or go right ahead if you want to,  I'm not the boss of you. ::P:


Considering the wife made dog biscuits last night, and there weren’t any strange ingredients, I just might. 
 

I once was so hungry that when I passed the open bag of Purina, it smelled fantastic and delicious. So I may be on the edges of the curve here. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pegazus said:


Considering the wife made dog biscuits last night, and there weren’t any strange ingredients, I just might. 
 

I once was so hungry that when I passed the open bag of Purina, it smelled fantastic and delicious. So I may be on the edges of the curve here. 

🤢

To each his own, i guess. 

Making progress on my map:

image.thumb.png.7e4c628af185a6a5a3b11b0236973c03.png

I'm having to hand place every single component (star system) because the auto placement tries to optimize the components into the smallest space it can. Which would be great were I actually buying this circuit board - the bigger the board, the more expensive they are. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...