Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

image.png.cda6ba62ac741ae924dc69dd82d3d8fe.png

 

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

 

We seem to have escaped the worse of the windy weather down here in the South.

 

Although I noticed today that it did blow over Portaloo, hopefully no one was inside at the time!

 

 

Well since we are a shi++y path here, placed a preorder for the Nolzur's outhouse mimic with my FLGS yesterday, just in case.

 

 

26 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is National banana bread day, it is also National dog biscuit day. Don't make a mistake and celebrate by eating the wrong one.  

 

Or go right ahead if you want to,  I'm not the boss of you. ::P:

zu482ujcqzl01.jpg?auto=webp&s=4b6442789d

  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:
6 hours ago, haldir said:

 

It's funny the Classic Rock channel on iheartradio does 2fers on Tuesday, just like the classic rock station on old fashion radio stations did back in the day. I make it a point to listen to that station that day. I guess it's the little things that help me make it through a work night, or day at home.

 

Someone pointed out the red button..........

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIopdieC87C-qYu1zxDRa

 

Watched Goldfinger the other night on tv.

 

Expand  

Another movie with a great button reference [and IMHO a Great Movie] is The Great Race;  "Push the button Max!"

It also has the best pie fight ever.

GEM

I like the bit in Men in Black.

"Remember the little red button? Push the little red button."

"And you might want to put on your seat belt."

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

🤢

To each his own, i guess. 

Making progress on my map:

image.thumb.png.7e4c628af185a6a5a3b11b0236973c03.png

I'm having to hand place every single component (star system) because the auto placement tries to optimize the components into the smallest space it can. Which would be great were I actually buying this circuit board - the bigger the board, the more expensive they are. 

 

Well the bigger and more complex the board. I have seen some biggish boards that were not very complex, due the to the machine they were going in. 

 

Edited by Colonel Kane
double post????
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

You might write an email to the engineer and "accidentally" send it to the customer discussing the bug.

That way she can bug the engineer directly and get off your back.

For the record, how many times has this particular bug presented itself?

She has it - the engineer has been copied on all the emails, because this particular customer was instrumental in figuring out how to reproduce it. He's not responding to me or her on it

The bug has existed at least 7-8 years, probably more.  I've had reports of it happening maybe a dozen times at maybe a half dozen sites out of a few hundred sites over the years. It's probably happened 2-5x more than the reports, though, because it involves "free" cash, meaning that people who experience it may not report it to the site management. The amount of "free" cash is limited, as it's determined by the difference between how much change the previous user was supposed to get, and how much they actually received when the fault happened. So it can be anywhere from $0.25 to $20, but usually less than $5. And it's not something that a user can stand there and make happen - so it's not like someone can use it to empty a machine of cash.  It happens once, and then it's done until the exact same set of circumstances reoccur, which are rare if someone is doing their basic preventive maintenance. 

I'd been chasing it for years, but never been able to replicate it until this customer a couple of months ago.  The other reports were either one offs, with one exception - an owner who was a jerk and didn't ever want to do any sort of troubleshooting and yelled at us every time it happened to him, without giving us any details we could use.   When I finally figured out how to replicate it, it suddenly made sense why this guy saw it more than other sites - he hardly did any of the preventive maintenance that would have prevented it. 

Finally spoke to the engineer, and heard exactly what I expected to hear - that he can't get to it for a bit because there are other issues with a higher priority and actual deadlines. 

Work on my map progresses, but I ran into an unanticipated problem I didn't foresee. 

image.png.69b17079c76d00333dc64c38d5541fb9.png

 

The yellow lines are the routes the program couldn't find a path for. Those aren't the problem. This is:
image.png.cb81182bc8083692be7fd4c59e1e201b.png

The program is running traces underneath components they're not connected to. Perfectly acceptable for most circuit boards, but for my application, it means it's running routes through "star systems" they don't connect to. 

I don't think this is something I can fix.  I'm going to have to consider a new approach. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

She has it - the engineer has been copied on all the emails, because this particular customer was instrumental in figuring out how to reproduce it. He's not responding to me or her on it

The bug has existed at least 7-8 years, probably more.  I've had reports of it happening maybe a dozen times at maybe a half dozen sites out of a few hundred sites over the years. It's probably happened 2-5x more than the reports, though, because it involves "free" cash, meaning that people who experience it may not report it to the site management. The amount of "free" cash is limited, as it's determined by the difference between how much change the previous user was supposed to get, and how much they actually received when the fault happened. So it can be anywhere from $0.25 to $20, but usually less than $5. And it's not something that a user can stand there and make happen - so it's not like someone can use it to empty a machine of cash.  It happens once, and then it's done until the exact same set of circumstances reoccur, which are rare if someone is doing their basic preventive maintenance. 

I'd been chasing it for years, but never been able to replicate it until this customer a couple of months ago.  The other reports were either one offs, with one exception - an owner who was a jerk and didn't ever want to do any sort of troubleshooting and yelled at us every time it happened to him, without giving us any details we could use.   When I finally figured out how to replicate it, it suddenly made sense why this guy saw it more than other sites - he hardly did any of the preventive maintenance that would have prevented it. 

Finally spoke to the engineer, and heard exactly what I expected to hear - that he can't get to it for a bit because there are other issues with a higher priority and actual deadlines. 

Work on my map progresses, but I ran into an unanticipated problem I didn't foresee. 

image.png.69b17079c76d00333dc64c38d5541fb9.png

 

The yellow lines are the routes the program couldn't find a path for. Those aren't the problem. This is:
image.png.cb81182bc8083692be7fd4c59e1e201b.png

The program is running traces underneath components they're not connected to. Perfectly acceptable for most circuit boards, but for my application, it means it's running routes through "star systems" they don't connect to. 

I don't think this is something I can fix.  I'm going to have to consider a new approach. 

Yeah, that will be an issue. maybe an odd question, how many 'layers' is your 'board"?

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Drilling is happening.  Actually has been since about 0800 my time. 

 

They had to defrost their gear a little... it was in the 20° range last night. 


I sincerely hope you have water very soon. It’s actually bothered me that you’ve been without for so long. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Yeah, that will be an issue. maybe an odd question, how many 'layers' is your 'board"?

 

I was trying to get away with a single layer, and a few "jumpers". My randomly generated map of connections is too tangled for that. 

In learning the PCB design software, it occurred to me that I'm probably better off doing it in layers.  This will work out, because each connection is one of 6 sizes. Currently going through my schematic tagging each connection with a different class, then will regenerate the layout with 6 layers.  That should give me a  basis to do the real map in Campaign Cartographer, using sheets and layers, 

For my final map, I think I'm going to end up printing it out on transparencies. And now I'm wondering if going this route will let me add even more complexity by adding more worlds and threads

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to my FLGD D&D game tonight! Vacation week is half over but hey it's still on vacation, my players have scouted out the sahaugin fortress & are back in Saltmarsh, so tonight's the actual raid on the fortress. I'm gonna change it up a bit vs the way the book has it as all it is getting past the entrance again undetected & then like 30 rounds of combat encounters before the Big Bossman err fish shows up. I'm gonna have them get in there & then guerrilla style raids as I threw in they had to take down the 2 headed monster in the temple + take out the remaining leaders (Baron, Baroness (who is the actual leader) & the High Priestess).  So, they shouldn't get it all done tonight, but they are getting close to finishing this adventure up!

 

I picked up a supplement on DMG awhile back called Shipboard Encounters, it's a nice 32 page pdf full of at sea encounters either on the ship or off it, but still on the water. I'm gonna thrown in the Smoldering Fort one. Onboard their ship, they'll see a small fort on a island that is still on fire & smoke & all that, but once they get ashore it changes to just a ruined house on top of a hill. Inside is a banshee & her 4 ghost children, who are just so happy to have the PCs over for "dinner". Backstory, the banshee & her children were left behind when the husband left for the sea, many, many years ago. Since they had no way off the island, they succumb to starvation & loneliness. Should be a interesting encounter. I'll throw this one in before they arrive back at the Fortress.

 

Anther encounter I thought about doing is one with death penguins....yes, penguins. Just not tonight, maybe on the return trip or when they leave Saltmarsh for other parts later in their levels.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Pegazus said:


I sincerely hope you have water very soon. It’s actually bothered me that you’ve been without for so long. 

 

We have a well, at least. It's not very impressive, but it's there, it produces water, and eventually, we will have a pump hooked up to it. 

 

That may prove the complicated bit, but at this specific moment, I don't care.  We have a well, I figured out how to get fried and scrambled eggs out of the microwave, I'm good. 

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, haldir said:

 

 

zu482ujcqzl01.jpg?auto=webp&s=4b6442789d

Sure, why not?::P:

 

I remember eating one of the dogs' treats when I was a kid. My thought process was something along the lines of 'Well, the dog eats it, why can't I?' (We regularly gave our dog table scraps; this may have contributed to that thought process)

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't super great, either. It certainly confused the poor dog, though.

 

I turned out fine, BTW.

 

AARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

  • Haha 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...