Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Beekeepers

Beekeepers was an experiment that didn't work out.  I feel that there may be at least a little bit of rose-tinted nostalgia going on here. It wasn't always the nicest of places, despite the efforts of the moderation team. There's also quite a bit that happened behind the scenes that you never saw. I'll clue you in to a bit of that now.

Several mods quit (being mods, coming to the forums, and possibly the hobby all together) due to some of the stuff that went on in there, especially in the last year or two of it's existence. Before I continue, please let me remind you that most moderators are unpaid volunteers that are helping to mod because they like and enjoy the community and want to see it flourish. We aren't getting paid for our work/time here.

There were NUMEROUS instances of community members being argumentative  with mods who were trying to settle things down in a particularly heated discussion. Furthermore, there were also many instances of mods being on the receiving end of some particularly vicious verbal assaults, for attempting to maintain civility in an out of control discussion. ( As a side note, I was in the military for 20 years, I've got a thick skin and coarse language doesn't bother me, so when I say 'vicious verbal assault' I'm talking about much worse than a few f-bombs. )

In addition, some of the animosity and commentary was spilling out into the other parts of the forum. It was at this point that the decision was made to remove the Beekeepers section altogether and disallow any conversations of a political nature and/or concerning highly controversial topics.

Here's another way to look at it: do you think that Reaper really wants to come up in a Google search results list for abortion, gun control, civil rights, or any of a whole host of other highly charged topics? I'm guessing they probably don't.  Before you say, 'that'd never happen' I can attest to performing google searches and getting some very bizarre results, including discussions on other forums that included the word/phrase I was searching. I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who has had this happen. All it takes is one person to start screaming about how Reaper supports ( random bad thing ) based on them finding a discussion topic about it here for Reaper to suddenly have a bunch of undeserved bad publicity they need to deal with.

Finally, a lot of people come here to participate in discussion about their hobby and as a refuge from all the bad stuff that happens out there in real life. I think that there are plenty of other places to talk about the ills of the world; it doesn't need to take place here.  Let's leave this place as somewhere to forget about all the negativity out there for a few hours.

To reiterate myself from earlier in the thread: Yes, there are some very serious things going on in the world right now that need to be talked about, but NOT HERE. Feel free to go talk about current events anywhere else you like, then come here for a little bit of tranquility.

TLDR:

This is a MINIATURES HOBBY forum, run (and payed for by) a MINIATURES manufacturer. Why would you log in to such a place and have any expectation of discussing politics?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 15

Pet stuff below.

Spoiler

Husband called the vet this morning because our older cat, Luna, is losing the function in her back legs. They told him they didn't have anything available until the end of March but put him on the call back list. They called back about an hour later to get her in. She fell off the bed sort of last night, I caught her before she hit the floor. She wandered off to eat and then didn't come back up and was just laying on the floor. I picked her up and put her back in bed. I'm kind of surprised that she made it through the night without further incident.

I'm worried that this may be it. I feel like I know what they vet is going to say and I just can't... I've had her for almost 20 years, so since I was about 12, and I know that's a long time for a pet. I couldn't bring myself to go to the vet with Husband. I know if they say what I'm thinking then he'll bring her home for a night. It's been a few years since we lost our last cat and I am not ready to go through that experience again.

I'm a mess, I've been crying off and on all night and most of today over it. I got the newest Pokemon game and even that isn't keeping me distracted. I have D&D tonight so hopefully, if it's not bad news, I'll be able to have some distractions.

• Sad 22

On 2/23/2022 at 9:06 AM, redambrosia said:

Well, she made a colossal mess in her room, spreading her toys all over the floor. But she also sat on the couch with me, with her controller (it’s an old PS3 controller) and “helped” me.

Mostly she made a mess though 😆

Brigid helped her mommy play Skyrim.

She really was an expert dragon spotter - pointing at the dragon while her mommy was still looking for it,

We were so proud of her!

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

@SparrowMarie It's never a good thing when a beloved pet crosses the rainbow bridge. Just remember the good times & keep her close in your memories. I still miss Thumper, but I recall the fun times she provided the family & I.

Winterhawks hockey time! @Prince George, Canada tonight! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Update: She's not coming home... 😭

I’m so sorry Sparrow. Loosing a beloved pet is awful. Sending love and comfort your way.

In goodish news, Sephy stopped throwing up after 7:30am. We were both very tired and rested a bit before her doctor appointment. Doctor said that she had some pretty big hard stools in her belly and recommended a “clean out”. So that’s going to be my day tomorrow.

Puke on Friday, poop on Saturday. Sigggghhhhhhh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

52 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

In goodish news, Sephy stopped throwing up after 7:30am. We were both very tired and rested a bit before her doctor appointment. Doctor said that she had some pretty big hard stools in her belly and recommended a “clean out”. So that’s going to be my day tomorrow.

Puke on Friday, poop on Saturday. Sigggghhhhhhh.

Pee on Sunday? :ph34r:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1