Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

19 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I hope everyone is having the bestest Friday they can. 

Thanks, I hope you did as well and have a great weekend!

17 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Finally, a lot of people come here to participate in discussion about their hobby and as a refuge from all the bad stuff that happens out there in real life. I think that there are plenty of other places to talk about the ills of the world; it doesn't need to take place here.  Let's leave this place as somewhere to forget about all the negativity out there for a few hours.

TLDR:

This is a MINIATURES HOBBY forum, run (and payed for by) a MINIATURES manufacturer. Why would you log in to such a place and have any expectation of discussing politics?

Thanks I couldn't agree more.

I have taken part in discussions at the Bees in the time, it made me block a few forumites who kept going on at it at other parts of this forum.

Not a happy thought.

I can take a lot ( Dutch Air force Warrant here) but a written word can come off different than the writer meant sometimes.

It got ugly at some point and I'm glad Reaper made the decision to keep this Forum what it should be, a Hobby Forum.

Thanks for that.

There are many places where one can discuss/rage/vent about World Events.

I find this place the proverbial oasis in a World full of Crap.

Let's keep it that way.

Speaking of Hobby

I painted a thing

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/98295-dr-corvus-the-plague-doctor-by-glitterwolf/

15 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Update: She's not coming home... 😭

I'm so sorry for your loss.

20 years is a long time for a pet but it always hurts when we lose our furball friends.

I wish you strength.

Schermafbeelding 2022-02-26 154114.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, VitM said:

Heads down everyone; nothing's going on! Keep painting your miniatures!

As one of the architects of the policy, purple or not this is precisely the point.  This forum exists as a sort of demi-plane in the .01% of the internet where people who enjoy a hobby can go and enjoy their hobby with like-minded hobby friends in a consistent, friendly, lighthearted environment that remains consistently friendly and lighthearted regardless of the degree to which the outside world may or may not be on fire.  The question, therefore, is less why we don't allow people to set fires here so much as it is why would anyone want to try and set this place on fire in the first place.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Finished my story last night. I almost finished it yesterday but just didn't have it in me. I'm finding that the more I get things done, the more I start to second guess myself and the stories. I'll probably have to take a break before I get tempted to throw my laptop in the toilet.

In other news, I am going to be working desks from now on. Three days at one spot and two days where I've already been working. I'm so happy to be sitting down. I'm too old to be walking the beat. I just don't have it in me anymore. I do worry about my health a bit, as walking around has kept away a lot of health issues. I'll be able to make some other changes to off-set the changes.

And I have a friend coming by today (I hope). I think we're going to play some Ghost Archipelago...

• Like 9

Trying to get myself back into painting and figured that a paint rack is necessary for easier access to paints. I purchased these impudent mortal racks a year ago (?) and didn't have time to assemble them until now. Initial impressions, for what it's supposed to do, it's okay.  Wish there was a brace between the front and middle layer to provide more support. I was testing the flex of the material by pushing on the front layer that supports the paint bottle butt and my glued area popped out. Also, one of the support beams broke in transit, hoping with the glue job, it stands up to time. It will be sprayed black later, or I'll use my expiring black gesso to paint it. Now to play around with paint organization. Whee.

20220226_113731.thumb.jpg.1d972770a8184aa6c661b11f992078e2.jpg

• Like 16

Got called in (well, online) to do some work dispositioning a quality notice. Quality found an issue with some washers and I'd sent them my solution late Thursday night. My boss's boss calls me at noon that they really need it right now! Sure, I hop online to work it... and they haven't even written the notice yet. There's nothing I can do my friends until you actually write the notice. So I added an hour to the extra five from yesterday. Either I'll get paid that extra or sleep in every day next week. Haven't decided yet.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Got called in (well, online) to do some work dispositioning a quality notice. Quality found an issue with some washers and I'd sent them my solution late Thursday night. My boss's boss calls me at noon that they really need it right now! Sure, I hop online to work it... and they haven't even written the notice yet. There's nothing I can do my friends until you actually write the notice. So I added an hour to the extra five from yesterday. Either I'll get paid that extra or sleep in every day next week. Haven't decided yet.

"What we have here is, failure to communicate."

{Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke}

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 2/25/2022 at 12:20 PM, Green Eyed Monsty said:

…so I can pave over the whole state [of Texas] and turn it into a massive wind power farm. That idea came from a Texas native, by the way.

Uhhh. 
[I don’t know why that is being credited to Monsty instead of Pete]

This is not to be political, just a fact check. Texas is way, way, ahead of you on this. 

So called Oil-Rich, Texas T, petrodollars TEXAS is in fact The King of Wind Energy. I looked this up once. 

Texas has 33,000 MegaWatts of installed wind energy generators. 

Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa added together have less wind energy than Texas. You have to add in whatever state is number five, on the list of states that do wind energy, to equal or exceed the megawatt-age Texas can generate from wind. 

No need for a takeover. Texas is all in on the wind energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, there is no need to pave anything first [???] where did you even get that idea?  Texas wind farms are also Cotton, Soybean, or Sorghum farms as well. Except the ones that are ranches where the land underneath the turbines is pasture. Paving underneath would just be inefficient and wasteful. There is a small concrete pad right under the mast and that is all that’s needed—the rest of the land has other purposes. 

If Texas was a country, it would be #5 in the world for generating (green) wind energy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 12:10 PM, CaptainPete said:

…turn [Texas] into a massive wind power farm…

Truck-turbine-photo-1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
Seriously, if y’all should visit Texas, (whether ye be fer or against wind power) try not let one of these bad boys run you over. This is how they get the blades out to West Texas for installation. Giant truck rigs. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Trying to get myself back into painting and figured that a paint rack is necessary for easier access to paints. I purchased these impudent mortal racks a year ago (?) and didn't have time to assemble them until now. Initial impressions, for what it's supposed to do, it's okay.  Wish there was a brace between the front and middle layer to provide more support. I was testing the flex of the material by pushing on the front layer that supports the paint bottle butt and my glued area popped out. Also, one of the support beams broke in transit, hoping with the glue job, it stands up to time. It will be sprayed black later, or I'll use my expiring black gesso to paint it. Now to play around with paint organization. Whee.

20220226_113731.thumb.jpg.1d972770a8184aa6c661b11f992078e2.jpg

The too weak/broken areas could be reinforced with some Plastruct L shape, available at any well stocked hobby shop/craft store.  Use Contact cement as a bonding agent and if you have them some spring type clothespins for clamps while the contact cement bonds.

Sounds like the manufacturer needs to use the next thicker size of micro-plywood for the front bottle supports.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TGP said:

Uhhh. 
[I don’t know why that is being credited to Monsty instead of Pete]

This is not to be political, just a fact check. Texas is way, way, ahead of you on this. 

So called Oil-Rich, Texas T, petrodollars TEXAS is in fact The King of Wind Energy. I looked this up once. 

Texas has 33,000 MegaWatts of installed wind energy generators. 

Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa added together have less wind energy than Texas. You have to add in whatever state is number five, on the list of states that do wind energy, to equal or exceed the megawatt-age Texas can generate from wind. 

No need for a takeover. Texas is all in on the wind energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, there is no need to pave anything first [???] where did you even get that idea?  Texas wind farms are also Cotton, Soybean, or Sorghum farms as well. Except the ones that are ranches where the land underneath the turbines is pasture. Paving underneath would just be inefficient and wasteful. There is a small concrete pad right under the mast and that is all that’s needed—the rest of the land has other purposes. 

If Texas was a country, it would be #5 in the world for generating (green) wind energy. 

I can attest to this from what we have witnessed driving to ReaperCon.  Spend most of a day driving through farm/ranch country peppered with windmills as far as the eye can see.

To my way of thinking, using the land between/under these giant windmills for agricultural purposes makes perfect sense.  Each windmill has a very large ground footprint due to the swing room required for the blades.

Paving everything just increased the ground albedo, in the same fashion as parking lots in a city, resulting in the net effect of slightly/moderately elevated temperatures over the area paved.

If you are talking about the theoretical paving over of a significant portion of Texas, be prepared for a noticeable change in the weather patterns across the USA.

GEM

• Like 5