Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Well, it's been quite the grey, gloomy, rainy, and just generally depressing day today. I managed to get some much needed organizing done.

I seriously need to win the lottery so I can retire and actually get some of this stuff painted. 

• Like 9

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Well, it's been quite the grey, gloomy, rainy, and just generally depressing day today. I managed to get some much needed organizing done.

I seriously need to win the lottery so I can retire and actually get some of this stuff painted. 

Step Number One:  Buy Lottery Tickets.

This may require diversion of certain funds from buying minis to buying Lottery Tickets.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Unsurprisingly, rewiring things goes a LOT faster when you have wire strippers that work properly.  Cheap and cheerful Amazon ones couldn't even strip 20 AWG wire even on the 24 AWG setting, meanwhile these ones from Canadian Tire do exactly what I want and need.  Things have gone sooo much faster now with getting this toolhead wired up!

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Step Number One:  Buy Lottery Tickets.

This may require diversion of certain funds from buying minis to buying Lottery Tickets.

GEM

My current weekly plan is, before I stop into the FLGS for my Weds game, I'll stop at a conv store, fill my mug up with Gatorade Lemon Lime & no matter what the Powerball is, I'll buy a ticket & I'll check my previous ticket at the same time. So hey I could be a millionaire & not know, but continuing to work for at least week afterwards, ha ha.

• Like 8

My son told his mom he wasn't getting transfer leave, and was headed straight to his boat after sub school. 

Then he calls me and asks me to pick him up at the airport because he wants to surprise his mom and sister.  Just got back an hour ago. His mother is going to be so mad and happy at the same time in the morning. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 9

23 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

My son told his mom he wasn't getting transfer leave, and was headed straight to his boat after sub school. 

Then he calls me and asks me to pick him up at the airport because he wants to surprise his mom and sister.  Just got back an hour ago. His mother is going to be so mad and happy at the same time in the morning. 

He is absolutely going to get murderhugged by her. :lol:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

To my way of thinking, using the land between/under these giant windmills for agricultural purposes makes perfect sense.

N.B. The land these Texas wind farms are built on was agricultural long before it was wind farm. (most of them, if not every last one…)

The wind farms lease the dirt their little towers stand on. The Sorghum was there first, and Archer-Daniels-Midland or some outfit like that, owns the land. 

The wind farms are like an overlay. A lease for one tower is $4000-8000 per year. The ground foot print is small, but the spacing between towers is also controlled by the leasing terms. They usually have provisions for giving dirt cheap electricity to the landowner (which they then use to pump water up from wells to improve their crop yield).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

N.B. The land these Texas wind farms are built on was agricultural long before it was wind farm. (most of them, if not every last one…)

The wind farms lease the dirt their little towers stand on. The Sorghum was there first, and Archer-Daniels-Midland or some outfit like that, owns the land. 

The wind farms are like an overlay. A lease for one tower is $4000-8000 per year. The ground foot print is small, but the spacing between towers is also controlled by the leasing terms. They usually have provisions for giving dirt cheap electricity to the landowner (which they then use to pump water up from wells to improve their crop yield).

I figured that would be the case.  It makes perfect economic sense.

Everybody benefits, until it is time to decommission the turbines.  There are a lot of recyclable materials in those turbines but the blades are problematic [at least at this time] when it comes time to recycle the decommissioned materials.

Hopefully, the blades, along with the towers, can be up-cycled by using them on new, more powerful/efficient turbines.

We've actually been doing up-cycling of industrial material since the later part of the 19th Century, when the major engine components of steamboat power-plants were moved from old worn out hulls [and the hard use these boats saw had the wooden components the hulls were made from wearing out in a short span of years {that is, those that didn't meet with mishap along the way}] to new hulls.

GEM

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Uhhh. 
[I don’t know why that is being credited to Monsty instead of Pete]

This is not to be political, just a fact check. Texas is way, way, ahead of you on this. 

So called Oil-Rich, Texas T, petrodollars TEXAS is in fact The King of Wind Energy. I looked this up once. 

Texas has 33,000 MegaWatts of installed wind energy generators. 

Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa added together have less wind energy than Texas. You have to add in whatever state is number five, on the list of states that do wind energy, to equal or exceed the megawatt-age Texas can generate from wind. 

No need for a takeover. Texas is all in on the wind energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, there is no need to pave anything first [???] where did you even get that idea?  Texas wind farms are also Cotton, Soybean, or Sorghum farms as well. Except the ones that are ranches where the land underneath the turbines is pasture. Paving underneath would just be inefficient and wasteful. There is a small concrete pad right under the mast and that is all that’s needed—the rest of the land has other purposes. 

If Texas was a country, it would be #5 in the world for generating (green) wind energy. 

I mean the whole thing. Cities, towns, parks, everything. There will be no Texans, only wind turbines. Bury the state and let there be not a thing left! Muwahahaha! Yes, I think this is my super villain origin story...794091073_NobodyMessesWithTexas.jpg.1b05ce65abde5290b9171136a9f0e9ac.jpg

And then I remember this. 😛

In other news, I'm going to finally take some pictures of my painted minis. I'll have them up on my blog soon.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Hopefully, the blades, along with the towers, can be up-cycled by using them on new, more powerful/efficient turbines.

I think @Pegazus commented on why this is not a thing a few (bunch of ?) pages ago in this very thread. 

From what I remember:

The blades are what takes the most abuse—they are like the wooden parts of Screw Steamers—that which fails first. And then the labor cost to disassemble and salvage for raw materials equals or exceeds simply building a brand new blade. They are 75% or more graphite-resin-composite and that stuff just does not recycle easily. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@CaptainPete---While I have no general objections to your evil genius/super villain idea, I feel obligated to throw a monkey wrench into it. 

Did you forget that Reaper is located in Texas? Or will you be issuing a warning and allowing people/businesses time to leave?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I think @Pegazus commented on why this is not a thing a few (bunch of ?) pages ago in this very thread. 

From what I remember:

The blades are what takes the most abuse—they are like the wooden parts of Screw Steamers—that which fails first. And then the labor cost to disassemble and salvage for raw materials equals or exceeds simply building a brand new blade. They are 75% or more graphite-resin-composite and that stuff just does not recycle easily. 

Which is my major concern with these things.  The stuff that's inside the turbine housings is a lot of high value metals for the most part, chiefly copper and alloys containing rare earths.  That stuff recycles easily, the chief cost being the labor in the dismantling process.

GEM

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

@CaptainPete---While I have no general objections to your evil genius/super villain idea, I feel obligated to throw a monkey wrench into it. 

Did you forget that Reaper is located in Texas? Or will you be issuing a warning and allowing people/businesses time to leave?

Well, I *suppose* I could give them fair warning. 😛

In other news, no pictures happened tonight. I did get to hang out with my friend before bed but I was up way too late and then woke up at my normal time. I did just lay in bed for a few hours, I don't feel all there today. Nothing important got done last night. Except for a shopping trip. I spent twice as much as I usually did a few months ago. This sucks. However, my bank account had more in it than I expected. Which I promptly used to buy more stuff from Reaper. And some other things... :ph34r:

• Like 6