Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Trying to get myself back into painting and figured that a paint rack is necessary for easier access to paints. I purchased these impudent mortal racks a year ago (?) and didn't have time to assemble them until now. Initial impressions, for what it's supposed to do, it's okay.  Wish there was a brace between the front and middle layer to provide more support. 

I have some similar racks, and while they have the same issues they have held up pretty well.  Both of mine are second hand, they saw use before I got them, and one I had to reassemble because glue was used very sparingly.  In place against a wall they have been good for 2 years now.  I'm kind of envious of the large setup you have. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TGP said:

N.B. The land these Texas wind farms are built on was agricultural long before it was wind farm. (most of them, if not every last one…)

The wind farms lease the dirt their little towers stand on. The Sorghum was there first, and Archer-Daniels-Midland or some outfit like that, owns the land. 

The wind farms are like an overlay. A lease for one tower is $4000-8000 per year. The ground foot print is small, but the spacing between towers is also controlled by the leasing terms. They usually have provisions for giving dirt cheap electricity to the landowner (which they then use to pump water up from wells to improve their crop yield).

I have an options contract with a wind power company on my farm. When my accountant saw my first pay cheque from them he asked how I could agree to it. It would upset my cattle and make a mess of my fields. I laughed and said for the potential money my family could get my cows can adapt. 1 or 2 towers per quarter section and a small gravel path connecting them. For the loss of a few acres of land and the inconvenience of them having access to my land it would have doubled my families gross income for practically no expense. I'd still be able to farm and graze everything (except the paths) right up to the towers. But the project got built 50 miles from me instead. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I have some similar racks, and while they have the same issues they have held up pretty well.  Both of mine are second hand, they saw use before I got them, and one I had to reassemble because glue was used very sparingly.  In place against a wall they have been good for 2 years now.  I'm kind of envious of the large setup you have. 

Wasn't a bad deal when I picked them up. I think it came out to $25 each. 135 paints per rack.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I just got back from the grocery store, where I ended up meeting and having a conversation with another hobbyist. 

Since I wasn't wearing any gaming/miniatures related clothing, I asked him what made him ask me if I was into miniatures. 

He told me that he had seen me looking at some oddly shaped food containers and noted that I was turning them over and examining all sides of them; he said that it looked like I was trying to figure out what I could make out of 'em once they were empty.

BUSTED!

Beats the story I got when I was on a nascar modeling forum many years ago. One of the southern (in this case, North Carolina) modelers was in a hobby store & was looking at models, he was wearing a #3 hat aka Dale Earnhardt. Some guy walked up to him & out of the blue said "He died for your sins." & walked off. The guy was shocked & dumbfounded at the guy. The encounter was after Dale died at Daytona that year. Yah............

Ok night on my return night to work last night but it had one major snag, boss texted me in the afternoon yesterday (guy loves to text me....) & told me so I wasn't caught off guard, but our power jack is broken & who knows when it'll get repaired. So co-worker & I unloaded the early truck at the dock. Closing manager didn't have unload cause she is only 110 lbs, bla bla bla & the driver sat in the truck the entire time we took boards off. He came out after we were done & said he had hernia surgery a month or so ago & wasn't doing any heavy work.

So I got to move pallets with the hand jack for the early part of the night. Lets just say, after having a week off & then coming back & doing that. My legs are killing me right now. Probably the equivalent to a leg workout at the gym. Hopefully they get that jack fixed soon!

Good start to the Witchlight campaign yesterday thou. The players played their characters but as kids & ran the prelude adventure. 2 players were younger kid, & 1 was the older kid. Good roleplaying by all involved. Hopefully when we start the hardback, we'll have 4 or 5 players. One player had to bow out Saturday morning & I'm gonna see if one person wants to rejoin (he quit a bit ago on the account of job (tow truck driver, works nights) & I'm pretty sure due to Richard"head" that quit on the account of the gay tabaxi encounter....:rolleyes:

• Like 11

I am tired. I slept on the couch last night and Husband slept upstairs. Sleeping in the bed right now is really weird as our cat would wedge herself between us most nights. So not sure how long I'll be on the couch but might be a few days.

Cleaned the desk after pulling everything from the corner area below the shelves. I also emptied the drawer. I made space for all of my basing materials to go in it. I have some stuff I'm not sure what to do with, like my artist inks, because space. I do still need to clean up the WIPs I've just got hanging around and put those somewhere not just on my monitor riser. So I guess I'm about half way done with that project.

IMG_20220227_103225_375.thumb.jpg.2d7e2872c969d3bf4f7da71942dcd1d8.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

272991420_1390348638144976_4713739349554154001_n.jpg.dc66641a0f57cc78df868a85ccb57ced.jpg

My coworker loves golf, especially at the little course in town. I asked him if I bought him a pair of those really bad plaid golf pants if he'd wear them. He said he would wholeheartedly and then explained to me that golf fashion is actually really expensive. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Photography happened. I need to get a better set up going. I also need to paint more, which I think is a higher priority... :upside:

The weather has finally changed completely. It's no longer dry and cold, so my hands are healing. That was a really rough week. And since I'm no longer out on the beat, I don't have to get soaked all night this week. I still will on the way to work but I don't have to deal with constantly wishing I could light people on fire with my mind so I can get dry.

Oh, I keep forgetting about this. I don't know if anyone remembers but I had some of my Bones I translucent minis get sticky... Last year? Year before? Anyway, I was showing them to my friend the other day and, sure enough, it happened again. I soaked them in 91% alcohol for a day or so and they seem okay. It just sucks.

What to see how bad my lighting is? Sure you do!

156999735_SuperHeroGroup01-Picture01.thumb.JPG.dbac23c2852e3af130a22a129108627c.JPG

• Like 10

Oh man, what a dilemma; do I have the healthy dessert ( mandarin oranges ) that I brought to work, or do I have the ice cream sandwiches that the company bought for our February birthday party. 

And no, both is not an option, I'm already pretty full.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5