Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Are you supposed to serve all three together?

I suppose you could...

1 hour ago, Oakleaf98 said:

Anyone know why Mainstream FM radio no longer plays any hard rock or metal alongside pop music?

Cause i remember during the 80's,90's and early 2000's they did,but they haven't since then and i haven't listened to the radio in about so many years after the radio got rid of hard rock and metal.

Probably the commercial/profitability thing that has already been mentioned. I suspect another reason as well, but I'll keep that to myself.

What's even worse is hearing rock and metal in places you wouldn't expect. I have heard muzak (elevator music) versions of several rock tunes, and I remember being highly upset the first time I heard Guns'N'Roses being played in Walmart. G'N'R was supposed to be rude, and edgy, and rebellious! It's not supposed to be playing at Walmart!

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Because you are now too old and so is your music.from the perspective of the program directors.

The reason for this is because their advertisers want a certain demographic who will spend more money on their products than people of your demographic group.

You are going to have to find some "oldies stations" that plays the music you enjoy.

This is something I've been dealing with since before the turn of the millennium

Welcome to adulthood part two.

GEM

Yup.

Most of the bands i listen to have people in it that are near retirement age or close to death.

Like Neil Peart the drummer from Rush died in 2020. I remember hearing "Tom Sawyer" on the radio back in the days.

I noticed too that the kids today don't get my music.

One time i was playing the main riff from Iron Maiden's the trooper on my electric guitar and a kid went "do you even know guitar?"

Edited by Oakleaf98
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, Oakleaf98 said:

I sort of force my kids to listen. To give them that good musical base background. I'm pretty familiar with songs three decades before my birth ('73) and the three decades after. There is rarely a song after Y2K that I like. But with six decades of familiarity, it's amusing to see people "discover" songs like House of the Rising Sun or Unchained Melody. Like, hello? McFly?! I suppose that they just do not get out of their lane that often which is sad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

In the Chicago area, radio stations were all bought up by clearchannel and others for massively inflated prices around 99-2001. There was never any way that the millions they dropped were ever going to be brought out of the red by advertising revenue, and combined with stations alienating listeners with sudden unannounced format changes and the rise of satellite radio and internet based alternatives, everything collapsed. Oldies 104.3, 95.9, 94.7, all the classic rock and oldies reformated seemingly every other week, Q101 the alternative rock station and Rock 103.5 both imploded not long after. A couple months ago I checked the dial only to find that I recognized none of the stations, and everything was a monotonus blur.

On youtube I came across an interview with Zoltar, who ran the overnight show "Industrial Nation", later "Industrial Zone" on Q101 in the mid 90s, and he was explaining what had happened not only to his show, but Chicago radio in general. 

• Like 6

One time i was playing the main riff from Iron Maiden's the trooper on my electric guitar and a kid went "do you even know guitar?"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I sort of force my kids to listen. To give them that good musical base background. I'm pretty familiar with songs three decades before my birth ('73) and the three decades after. There is rarely a song after Y2K that I like. But with six decades of familiarity, it's amusing to see people "discover" songs like House of the Rising Sun or Unchained Melody. Like, hello? McFly?! I suppose that they just do not get out of their lane that often which is sad.

The algorithm base on youtube and much of the internet filters us into echo chambers and niches over time and it takes effort to break out of that. We are guided to a lane and manipulated into staying within it. With the way social media dominates these days, and an entire generation who knows nothing else, I don't see this changing for the better anytime soon. The past has indeed become a foreign country.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Yup.

Most of the bands i listen to have people in it that are near retirement age or close to death.

Like Neil Peart the drummer from Rush died in 2020. I remember hearing "Tom Sawyer" on the radio back in the days.

Welcome to my world.

I like most anything from the Swing Era, including Country/Western Swing, through the 90s.

After that, pretty much meh - yuck.

For the record, I was born in October of 1949, which is when Les Paul was still working on developing a practical electric guitar.

GEM

• Like 8

I love the fact that Linkin Park's Meteora is now considered "oldies" or "classic music" depending on the station. 

It's kind of hilarious actually.  But I also almost never listen to the radio, because there's just no flow to it. 

• Like 6

Can't really complain about flow when my playlists are a mixed up blending of genres and artists where you might get Thomas Benjamin Wild Esq immediately followed by Simon and Garfunkle (or just Paul Simon) followed by.. hell, I don't know, J-pop or Faun or something and then right into AC/DC or.. wait, no. I don't have Twisted Sister on that list. Should fix that...

It can be particularly jarring to go from Vangelis to Caramelldansen, and that's happened.

I still don't listen to the radio much anymore; the commercials drive me up the walls. 😕

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Pegazus said:

@Sylverthorne Same. I get looks when I shuffle the library rather than a playlist. AC/DC tag teaming Randy Travis backed up by Skrillex. 

I come from a different musical planet entirely; if you shuffle my whole library Bach cello suite movements are cheek by jowl with early music, English folk revival (e.g. Steeleye Span or Martin Carthy), Tuvan throat singers, and a smattering of ballroom practice music.  You’d also get a bunch of Teaching Company lecture series blendered in, so you’d have to be riding the “skip” button…

• Like 7
  • Haha 2