Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following the discussion on "Coca-Cola Space".

Since space is mostly empty, and most of the rest of it is dust and gas, I'm assuming that what is being sold is mostly gas and a muddy residue with artificial flavorings added.

Personally, I think somebody has lost their collective minds.  Not sure whether its Coca-Cola or their customers, but I strongly suspect it's Coca-Colas marketing department.

I've never seen or heard any astronomers reporting anything even remotely like what is being described by those who have actually tasted the new concoction.

GEM

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

MOD VOICE:

Let's keep it family friendly, please.

Awwww… I missed some excitement.

Made it home from the cabin fine. Lots of turkey, deer, small birds, and antelope.

• Like 9

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20220305

A Tale of Two Knives

With a recent Wal+Mart order I had a genius idea. They (Wal+Mart, aka Wallyworld) sell knives, for the kitchen. But it occurred to me that I needed a knife at the front door for when packages showed up. But it would be a hassle to reassign one from the kitchen for that purpose. Solution!? order a new one from Wallyworld! A quick search discovered a simple, sturdy looking, 3 inch paring knife for only $1.17 (76mm blade length for the Imperially-Challenged). 

So I ordered it. It showed up, and it was plenty good enough for slicing the tough tape on parcels from Amazon or wherever. It has a nice plastic sheath included. It was so handy, I decided to order a second one in a subsequent order. 

Here is a picture of knife #2:

E517B04B-9D2E-456D-AA37-829C1BD30322.thumb.jpeg.15473b68f64abe9a57027c3264b5a020.jpeg

As perhaps you can see, it is longer than a dinner plate is wide. Two pieces of toast are less wide than the knife is long. I rechecked the order, I was only charged $1.17

I checked emails and texts (Wallyworld auto-generates several per order) there was no notice of substitution. They will do that, pick something they decide is close, if the item ordered is unavailable. But that had not happened. So I called 1-800-Wallyworld to make inquiries. 

I wasn’t irate or asking for refunds; I was just trying to let them know one of their bigger knives was missing. I tried being polite. At the end of the call the confused operator (one Xavier from Manila - 8 timezones away) wound up granting me a discount code for $10 (Yes! Ten) off my next order, for my trouble. G45JS6VX9T or something like that. 

So, because their order puller could not tell the difference between a paring knife and a big knife, Wallyworld is out Ten bucks plus the difference in the price of the knives. 

How do they make any money?

Right, the food. The memory banks claim the bread was eventually toasted and paired with butter and honey—to go with that glass of milk. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TGP said:

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20220305

A Tale of Two Knives

With a recent Wal+Mart order I had a genius idea. They (Wal+Mart, aka Wallyworld) sell knives, for the kitchen. But it occurred to me that I needed a knife at the front door for when packages showed up. But it would be a hassle to reassign one from the kitchen for that purpose. Solution!? order a new one from Wallyworld! A quick search discovered a simple, sturdy looking, 3 inch paring knife for only $1.17 (76mm blade length for the Imperially-Challenged). 

So I ordered it. It showed up, and it was plenty good enough for slicing the tough tape on parcels from Amazon or wherever. It has a nice plastic sheath included. It was so handy, I decided to order a second one in a subsequent order. 

Here is a picture of knife #2:

E517B04B-9D2E-456D-AA37-829C1BD30322.thumb.jpeg.15473b68f64abe9a57027c3264b5a020.jpeg

As perhaps you can see, it is longer than a dinner plate is wide. Two pieces of toast are less wide than the knife is long. I rechecked the order, I was only charged $1.17

I checked emails and texts (Wallyworld auto-generates several per order) there was no notice of substitution. They will do that, pick something they decide is close, if the item ordered is unavailable. But that had not happened. So I called 1-800-Wallyworld to make inquiries. 

I wasn’t irate or asking for refunds; I was just trying to let them know one of their bigger knives was missing. I tried being polite. At the end of the call the confused operator (one Xavier from Manila - 8 timezones away) wound up granting me a discount code for $10 (Yes! Ten) off my next order, for my trouble. G45JS6VX9T or something like that. 

So, because their order puller could not tell the difference between a paring knife and a big knife, Wallyworld is out Ten bucks plus the difference in the price of the knives. 

Right, the food. The memory banks claim the bread was eventually toasted and paired with butter and honey—to go with that glass of milk. 

Sounds like 10 dollars is the standard refund/gift code according to my daughter who works there.

• Like 6

So, my subconscious was working overtime to mash a lot of my interests/past together into one big, bizarre dream. I wish I could remember more of it.  I was attending Reapercon, but it was in a different location, possibly even a foreign country with a bunch of my old Navy buddies (some of you lot were there, too), and there was a Heavy Metal concert there one of the nights.

I'm sure it has some really profound meaning, but I'll be darned if I know what.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have had some really odd dreams lately as well.

The solid, entirely green, clown style, jump suits was pretty strange. They were kind of a Soylent Green color. 

Luckily, I was exempt from having to wear one. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

They buy in such large quantities that they can afford to undercut others, drive them out of business, and become the sole retailer for a given area. They also become the primary employer in a lot of areas, where they understaff and overwork their employees to squeeze that last penny out.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, my subconscious was working overtime to mash a lot of my interests/past together into one big, bizarre dream. I wish I could remember more of it.  I was attending Reapercon, but it was in a different location, possibly even a foreign country with a bunch of my old Navy buddies (some of you lot were there, too), and there was a Heavy Metal concert there one of the nights.

I'm sure it has some really profound meaning, but I'll be darned if I know what.

Beats my dream. Darth Vader was coming for me, but I still hadn’t filled out the proper paperwork for the attack so he had to wait. Which was just making things worse as he waited for me to finish filing. Woke up before he could ignite his lightsaber. 

I’m sure that dream has nothing to do with me getting called by work at 9pm on my last day of vacation to give them instructions on how to fix the broken wires on a part I own. Yeah, get a new one from stock and return broken one to the lab to see about a repair. As to how it got broken? Senior Tech says matter has been handled. Quality suspects a Jr Tech decided ta go a’wrenchin’ on tings and Sr Tech is going to light that po’ bo’ up for a month. 

• Like 8