Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

This is how it happens.  You just wake up one day and somebody has changed your time zone calculation difficulty from hard to very hard.  Now when I'm tryna figure out what time people are in I'll have to add the half hour and then adjust for the time zone, probably weigh a duck, dress in chicken entrails, and create a circle of salt and iron filings. 

Some of those might not actually be required, I just needed an excuse for circles and chicken entrails.    Math, sorcery, all the same to me.

1640111735632.gif.02c4c424ad3a2a3a5c90b168b13a4e4a.gif

Try talking to people in south-eastern Western Australia (near Eucla). They're on a 3/4 hour unofficial timezone (halfway between Western Australia's official timezone and South Australia's timezone, which in turn are 1.5 hours apart except when South Australia is doing fake time)

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

23 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I don't want to see another pie for a whole year...groan. I ate a whole one myself, baked 9 little pot pies for an international fundraiser and made a cherry pie. I still love pies, but I don't want to have anything to do with them for a while. If the little pies aren't all gone tomorrow, they will have to go in the freezer at work. 

The little guys all sold, and all but one piece of cherry pie was consumed. We raised $80 for the Red Cross international efforts. I stopped in at my grandma's today to give her the last piece and have a little visit. I will write an announcement to put on the office fridge that they can have that warm glow extend to more than their bellies. Good job truckers!

• Like 10

How we established "standard time".

When the railroads were young and expanding every railroad, and often times different portions of the same railroad operated on local time.

"Local Time" varied from place to place and you could find as much as a half hour difference in locations only 20 miles apart.

As speeds increased and the amount of railroad traffic increased this became more of a problem.  The railroads operated on a scheme called Timetable and Train Order which gave a given train permission to occupy a certain section of track for a specified period of time, with stated starting and ending times [train orders]  referenced to the published Current Time Table.  Train crews taking their "correct time" from different locations [often the clock on the wall in the station they worked from] often had different times, which led to accidents and missed trains for passengers.

By the early 1870s there was a convention to resolve this problem and "standard time" was instituted where all master clocks in depots and dispatch offices took their time from a specified Master Clock for each time zone.  The time was taken from the nominal "High Noon" at the specified location of the Master Clock so depending on how far east or west of the specified location a station was would vary up to 30 minutes from local high noon.  The system worked as intended to reduce accidents and missed trains and very soon everybody was using railroad time because it just worked.

How Daylight Savings Time came to be.

When WWI happened the politicians started messing with the time so "farmers would have more daylight to do their work".  This has never made sense to me because farmers regulate their work day, not by some arbitrary measurement on a clock but by when the sun actually rises and sets.

Now we are having a running debate on "To daylight savings time or not".

Personally, I feel the "reason" for Daylight Savings Time is no longer valid, and the reason why Standard Time was established is still valid and we need to go back to that system in an unmodified form.

GEM

Climbing down off my soap box and putting the blackboard back in the storage cupboard.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

How we established "standard time".

When the railroads were young and expanding every railroad, and often times different portions of the same railroad operated on local time.

"Local Time" varied from place to place and you could find as much as a half hour difference in locations only 20 miles apart.

As speeds increased and the amount of railroad traffic increased this became more of a problem.  The railroads operated on a scheme called Timetable and Train Order which gave a given train permission to occupy a certain section of track for a specified period of time, with stated starting and ending times [train orders]  referenced to the published Current Time Table.  Train crews taking their "correct time" from different locations [often the clock on the wall in the station they worked from] often had different times, which led to accidents and missed trains for passengers.

By the early 1870s there was a convention to resolve this problem and "standard time" was instituted where all master clocks in depots and dispatch offices took their time from a specified Master Clock for each time zone.  The time was taken from the nominal "High Noon" at the specified location of the Master Clock so depending on how far east or west of the specified location a station was would vary up to 30 minutes from local high noon.  The system worked as intended to reduce accidents and missed trains and very soon everybody was using railroad time because it just worked.

How Daylight Savings Time came to be.

When WWI happened the politicians started messing with the time so "farmers would have more daylight to do their work".  This has never made sense to me because farmers regulate their work day, not by some arbitrary measurement on a clock but by when the sun actually rises and sets.

Now we are having a running debate on "To daylight savings time or not".

Personally, I feel the "reason" for Daylight Savings Time is no longer valid, and the reason why Standard Time was established is still valid and we need to go back to that system in an unmodified form.

GEM

Climbing down off my soap box and putting the blackboard back in the storage cupboard.

I understood that the reason fake time got introduced was to reduce energy requirements for light in the evenings, during war rationing of fuel. So it should have been scrapped as soon as the war rationing of fuel was finished.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I understood that the reason fake time got introduced was to reduce energy requirements for light in the evenings, during war rationing of fuel. So it should have been scrapped as soon as the war rationing of fuel was finished.

That entered into it.

Remember, in the WWI Era kerosene lamps were still the primary light source for the rural world, not just the USA.

GEM

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

And we were told in school that it was so the war factories, often lit only by sunlight, could get an extra hour of work each day.  

Probably some part of each story is true.  Certainly agree that we should have quit using it decades ago. 

• Like 9

On 3/14/2022 at 4:40 PM, Pegazus said:

Quite strange. It started off with a bit of citrus or strawberry or orange or raspberry, then moved to more of a buttered popcorn jelly bean flavor. 

So my conclusion is space must taste like every flavor all mushed into one semi-fruity sweet flavor. 

Honestly, to me it sort of tasted like gingerbread.

As I understand it, it's supposed to be some sort of raspberry-ish flavor, as scientists recently discovered a large cosmic cloud somewhere made entirely of the chemical that gives raspberries their flavor.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, Chaoswolf said:

My cat Tommy (who was quite possibly actually a honey badger wearing a clever disguise) used to jump up on your lap and punch you repeatedly in the face as hard as he could until you got up out of the chair so he could sit there...

19 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have to say, I liked one of the supporting bands as much as the Murphys - the Rumjacks, an Australian band - https://youtu.be/tDTQQWSmo8s

I like the Rumjacks...

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Sometime in the past few weeks,  Coca Cola released a new flavor; 'Starlight' Coke. The bottle says it tastes like space.

.....How do they know what space tastes like? :huh:

On 3/14/2022 at 4:18 AM, Chaoswolf said:

88031309_2955679017821859_5082760522533699584_n.jpg.f8d911398e9cd2ad30515892de180c43.jpg

Uh, you had me up until Step 7.

I'm still alive! More alive now than a few months ago, even. I'm painting again, and the chaos at work has slowed down substantially. So much so, in fact, that lately I've been feeling like a racecar suddenly thrust into rush-hour traffic. I know there's a downshift option for my mental gears, but it's been awhile since I last used it and I'm kind of fuzzy on how it's supposed to work. :upside: I'm very very glad that my job got abruptly boring, though, because that means far fewer people are getting sick. ^_^ 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:
5 hours ago, sumbloke said:

That entered into it.

Remember, in the WWI Era kerosene lamps were still the primary light source for the rural world, not just the USA.

GEM

Germany and Austria started it during the First World War.  Their opponents adopted DST as well. 

(Then it was sensibly abandoned by all nations afterward, but on varying dates).

Germany again revived the practice during the Second World War, the allies countered by following suit, and we (the world) have been suffering under (assorted versions of) its harsh glare ever since. 

Local Noon should be when the Sun is straight overhead, and that moment should be designated hour 12. 

Edited by TGP
Neither Buglips nor Pezler can be blamed.
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Germany and Austria started it during the First World War.  Their opponents adopted DST as well. 

Then it was sensibly abandoned by all nations afterward, but on varying dates).

Germany again revived the practice during the Second World War, the allies countered by following suit, and we (the world) have been suffering under (assorted versions of) its harsh glare ever since. 

Local Noon should be when the Sun is straight overhead, and that moment should be designated hour 12. 

I agree with timezones, because you do need to be able to coordinate with others. However, we should have timezones regulated so that nowhere has more than 45 minutes between actual local time and their timezone.

• Like 5