Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

So it wasn't enough that they extended daylight savings time in 2005, despite the war being over for 60 years at that point, now they want to permanently destroy our hour of sleep. The cycle needs to end, yes, but end it in such a way as to return us to the natural cycle, not damn us to eternal sleep deprivation in the name of the foul demon Productivity! 

After the events of the last few years stressing everyone out, after current events are stressing everyone out, do these fools really think throwing eternal sleep dep into the mix is a wise idea? Whether this is stupidity or malice, I have my suspicions, but this is not the place to utter them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I agree with timezones, because you do need to be able to coordinate with others. However, we should have timezones regulated so that nowhere has more than 45 minutes between actual local time and their timezone.

I'm the opposite. I think we need to completely abolish time zones, and everyone simply use UTC and a 24 hour clock.  We're a global economy with nearly instant communication around the world - why shouldn't we all be on the same clock?  Might as well do it sooner rather than later, because eventually we're going to space, and trust me, trying to figure out the moon's time zones is an exercise none of us want. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kristof65 said:
1 hour ago, sumbloke said:

I agree with timezones, because you do need to be able to coordinate with others. However, we should have timezones regulated so that nowhere has more than 45 minutes between actual local time and their timezone.

I'm the opposite. I think we need to completely abolish time zones, and everyone simply use UTC and a 24 hour clock.  We're a global economy with nearly instant communication around the world - why shouldn't we all be on the same clock?  Might as well do it sooner rather than later, because eventually we're going to space, and trust me, trying to figure out the moon's time zones is an exercise none of us want. 

Actually, you agree with timezones to extremes - you think the whole world should be in one timezone.

The biggest problem I can see with your idea is that people will want their daylight hours to be the same day. Half the world would suddenly change days during daylight. I doubt anyone in those countries is going to agree to your proposal.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

.....How do they know what space tastes like? :huh:

Uh, you had me up until Step 7.

I'm still alive! More alive now than a few months ago, even. I'm painting again, and the chaos at work has slowed down substantially. So much so, in fact, that lately I've been feeling like a racecar suddenly thrust into rush-hour traffic. I know there's a downshift option for my mental gears, but it's been awhile since I last used it and I'm kind of fuzzy on how it's supposed to work. :upside: I'm very very glad that my job got abruptly boring, though, because that means far fewer people are getting sick. ^_^ 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Supposedly, scientists have said it tastes like raspberries & such. When Coke Starlight was about to come out, I read a article regarding that. They didn't give you the flavor but the coloring of the bottle & what they said about space, kinda gave away what the flavor was. Since, I gave up Coke, way before I gave up caffeinated sodas, I'll never experience the "taste" of Starlight. Eh, oh well, no worries on my part.

Welcome back, btw!!!

• Like 6

I looked into this latest ship grounding. 

At least one News outlet, wait make that two: Popular Mechanics and CNET reported that Ever Forward and Ever Given are “sister ships”.

It was right in the headline. 

This is False. 

MV Ever Forward is 334 meters long. 
MV Ever Given is 400 meters long. 

They are different designs, different dimensions, different tonnages (the longer ship is 80,000 tons larger) and therefore not sister ships. 

Evergreen F Class

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_F-class_container_ship

Evergreen G Class

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_G-class_container_ship

The hint that they are not sisters is right there in the names. All the ships in the F class have names that start with an F. Ever Front, Ever Fine, Ever Frank . . . etc. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, TGP said:

I looked into this latest ship grounding. 

At least one News outlet, wait make that two: Popular Mechanics and CNET reported that Ever Forward and Ever Given are “sister ships”.

It was right in the headline. 

This is False. 

MV Ever Forward is 334 meters long. 
MV Ever Given is 400 meters long. 

They are different designs, different dimensions, different tonnages (the longer ship is 80,000 tons larger) and therefore not sister ships. 

Evergreen F Class

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_F-class_container_ship

Evergreen G Class

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_G-class_container_ship

The hint that they are not sisters is right there in the names. All the ships in the F class have names that start with an F. Ever Front, Ever Fine, Ever Frank . . . etc. 

Hmmm, some sisters are a tad larger than their siblings. I see no problem with that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, sumbloke said:

The biggest problem I can see with your idea is that people will want their daylight hours to be the same day. Half the world would suddenly change days during daylight. I doubt anyone in those countries is going to agree to your proposal.

That is the first logical objection I've seen.  Most of the objections I've seen center on the idea that "noon/12pm must be midday" when the reality is that is rarely true for most of a given time zone most of the year. 

I will have to think on it more. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That is the first logical objection I've seen.  Most of the objections I've seen center on the idea that "noon/12pm must be midday" when the reality is that is rarely true for most of a given time zone most of the year. 

Tbh, the fact that solar noon and clock noon aren’t at the same time has always annoyed me. And as a fair skinned person who turns red as a tomato under the influence of solar noon, it’s an important thing to know for me.

And like, why is midnight just a couple hours after the sun goes down sometimes??? This isn’t Alaska in midsummer. It’s MID-night. There should be as much dark time before as after!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kristof65 said:
10 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Expand  

The Ancient Hebrew calendar changed the date at Sundown — maybe there is a Jewish sect that still does this..?

A day consisted of, in order:

The Evening

Night (full darkness)

Morning

Full light of Day

ended by sundown. 

• Like 3