Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Caught up on all your random shenanigans since Monday. I really need to find one of these Starlight Cokes... alternate theory on the name: maybe we're headed towards the world being more like the one from The Boys (on Amazon Prime), and they're cross-promoting the superheroine Starlight.

Had an eye doctor appointment so my eyes are dilated and I am secluded away from bright lights... feeling very much like a Mogwai right now. And it's a beautiful day out. The world conspires against me.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

• Like 7

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Tbh, the fact that solar noon and clock noon aren’t at the same time has always annoyed me.

This fact is probably one of the largest influences on why I'm to the point of just saying "screw it, lets just use UTC".  I never lived anywhere where the clock noon has ever really lined up with solar noon, so I never understood why it mattered.  Solar noon should just be reported as a time like sunrise and sunset are. 

The date thing that @sumbloke mentioned though has me stumped for a work around to get through the generation it would need for people to get used to it. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Have I mentioned that I really like my job?

I got to work this morning to find this on my desk:

20220317_072544.thumb.jpg.4c33edf29ad800e1c7d328ebffc765f6.jpg

That's nice and all, but I'm really digging the retro early 2000s feel of your desk.  It's very comfy.  Also, it's deeply disturbing to me to consider early 2000s retro... but them Boston speakers don't lie.  (As I recall, my identical Bostons were very nice speakers)

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

On 3/16/2022 at 6:50 AM, redambrosia said:

Last night we watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I really liked it. Hubby liked it. I think Sephy liked it, except that it also scared her.

It scared her enough that she had a strong nightmare last night. She came to my bed crying and all sweaty. 

At some point she learned to be afraid of the dark and spooky monsters in movies ☹️

I hope her fears pass her by faster than my own.  If not, well don't expect a sleep filled night for, oh another two years or so. 

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The Ancient Hebrew calendar changed the date at Sundown — maybe there is a Jewish sect that still does this..?

A day consisted of, in order:

The Evening

Night (full darkness)

Morning

Full light of Day

ended by sundown. 

Jewish religious holidays and such still do, and the Jewish people still use a different calendar for religious things.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

That is the first logical objection I've seen.  Most of the objections I've seen center on the idea that "noon/12pm must be midday" when the reality is that is rarely true for most of a given time zone most of the year. 

I will have to think on it more. 

I thought of it pretty much immediately since I live at UTC+10 (UTC+11 during fake time, but that doesn't matter). So the date change would happen for me at around 10am local.

An extension to my objection: assuming business hours are adjusted to locally appropriate times (assuming based on current timezones), I'd be working 22:30 - 07:00. If I start work on Friday, does that count as a weekday shift or weekend? And what about public holidays?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 3/16/2022 at 6:50 AM, redambrosia said:

Last night we watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I really liked it. Hubby liked it. I think Sephy liked it, except that it also scared her.

It scared her enough that she had a strong nightmare last night. She came to my bed crying and all sweaty. 

At some point she learned to be afraid of the dark and spooky monsters in movies ☹️

My 40 year old friend and I watched it. She was like, "I hope this isn't too scary." I sighed. "We probably still have some Paw Patrol DVDs around here somewhere," I said. The movie that scared me the most as a kid was Pinocchio. I was six or seven when I saw it. I was brought up on bible stories, including Jonah and the whale. Pinocchio also features a big maneating whale, but Pleasure Island terrified me. Naughty kids being turned into donkeys seemed entirely too plausible to me. 

The new Ghostbusters was filmed in my hometown. The diner is actually a tire shop on main street that my grandpa owned for most of my childhood. 

• Like 8

Well, the third time was the charm. The third Dutch oven arrived yesterday, in perfect, cobalt blue condition, and I used it for the first time tonight. I made a pot roast, in an actual pot, and it turned out AMAZING!!

6D31B981-0CF3-423E-8B52-42575688267E.thumb.jpeg.1b2e1267672722f9dd58f48bb5b31ce3.jpeg

5E572201-77F7-46E7-AB32-66371267DF55.thumb.jpeg.d0dae7af1d7bf8d3986087e5f76d5c40.jpeg

The only one who didn’t appreciate the tender flavorfulness of the meat was my heathen daughter, who still has problems with the texture of beef.

Seriously, I love this pot. I’ve wanted one forever. It was worth dealing with the first two.

Oh, and Sephy is fine. She slept good last night, no nightmares. And I got a really neat “night light” for the living room, so the dark room wouldn’t creep her out.

717E4DCB-0438-459A-AD35-0B5A52A23E8F.thumb.jpeg.b66a4b9dc963cfe4a8e92139f67258be.jpeg

The lights fade through to different colors constantly. It’s actually really beautiful and soothing (once you figure out how to get it to stop flashing rapidly).

• Like 15