Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

It is a regularly scheduled day off today, and it is supposed to be warm and clear this afternoon, so I am conserving energy so that I can pump up the tires on my bicycle an get out for a ride.

In the meantime, someone on the OD&D discussion forum asked the other day whether anyone had thought about using 6mm figures to play D&D.  He noted that they approximately matched the nominal outdoor ground scale of 1” = 10 yards.  (Probably closer to 1” = 8 yards, but I guess that’s almost there…)

I looked at my painting log summary, and found that the last time I finished a 6mm figure was 2009.  I was a third of the way into a DBA army of 3rd century Palmyrans when I stopped for whatever reason. (Too busy parenting a sporting kid, as I recall…). Anyway, I dug out the primed figure strips this morning, and spent some time trying to reconstruct what I had been thinking when I started.  I think I have it figured out now.

486B596F-13B3-4D1E-8D72-A080FBA54008.jpeg.7d4d2046902d99de9c1d6c343a913c4b.jpeg

If you are going to set a project aside for 13 years, I would recommend taking better notes. 😁

As for the OD&D poster, I think any attempt to manipulate individual 6mm figures would end the experiment quickly.  I actually have a small package of individual 6s sold by Irregular Miniatures as scenery enhancements (or the basis of tiny dioramas), and you can see one of them with respect to my fingers here:

F3F86196-9057-46A9-BDF5-14F3D944F43A.jpeg.967a215a667e9200cfa440d01ec24be5.jpeg

(Sorry about the lack of focus…)

However, now that I have dug out the box of my 6s and the partially painted project, I am minded to see if my upgrades since 2009 in magnification, brush quality and wet palette would allow me some chance of painting the rest of the army…

• Like 13

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, VitM said:

Anyway, my ideas are probably not better than what we have, but it was fun to think about how kristof's idea might work.

That's kind of where I'm at - it's a thought exercise.  It will be decades, if not centuries before humanity finally adopts something like my suggestion, and even when it does, there will be change resistant pockets of humanity that stick to the "old" system because they can't deal with change in the same way the US has resisted the metric system. 

We already have so much that is uncoupled from the existing time zones that it's kind of funny that besides some thought exercises like this that we're not more seriously considering it.  Computers already use UTC, then update to match local time - it would greatly reduce software development issues if computers could just use UTC.  Air traffic control already relies heavily on it, as do most militaries. It wouldn't even have to be done all at once - airline flight schedules would be a good place to start getting people used to it.  And cruises.  I seriously couldn't believe that cruise lines bothered to do a shipboard time change on our cruise from Florida to the Eastern Caribbean and back. 

It's not just our systems that are uncoupled from "normal" time - there are millions of people who work night shifts who already experience the date changing in the middle of their work shift, and tens of millions more who don't have a "normal" weekend because they work in retail or other 7 day a week industries.  And heck, the mere fact that DST exists shows we're capable of decoupling time from the solar day. 

In the end, although I'd be quite happy going to a UTC time, I'll happily settle for getting rid of the DST time change - I don't care which time we pick, I'll adjust.   After that, I would love to see everyone adopt the 24 hour clock. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good to hear he's home.

As for the low sodium...

I almost never add salt to my food, most contains enough salt as it is.

Use fresh herbs or buy separate dried herbs/powders to mix at will without salt.

Speaking of food....

*snipped*

It would be much, much easier if I could /cook/. Not having running water is making this a lot harder than it needs to be. If I want to do dishes, not only do I have to haul water, but it has to be manually boiled, as well, which means it's a two-person project, which.. 

.. you get the idea. 

I don't use that much salt in my normal cooking patterns either, because you're right; there's usually plenty. 

Penzey's features pretty strongly in my usual seasonings, and they make a bunch of salt-free blends that are quite nice. Last night's chicken got dusted liberally with Justice (I didn't name it!) which is fairly heavy on the garlic. So .. I /think/ I can manage? But figuring out how to do anything more ambitious than salad with baked chicken, or scrambled eggs (I can do this in the microwave; it's just tedious), is... a challenge, right now.

One thing I noticed. My anxiety about Andi actually being in a hospital was much less this time. I could /do stuff/ that wasn't sitting around worrying and forcing myself to eat. And I'm not in a state of Deep Concern; just, you know, the usual level of 'my partner's health is more fragile than usual' that I've been in since .. uh.. heck. A while. *sigh* 

So. Whatever that's worth, I suppose.

• Like 14

So, I'm having an interesting time of the last 24 hours. I used to believe that my moms family where Volga Germans from Eastern Russia. Nope, not the case. They were Black Sea Germans, from what is now Odessa Ukraine. Seems I've even still got relatives there. Normally that would have just been an interesting point of family history. Normally there isn't, let's be on the safe side of the forum rules, and call it 'extreme levels of unrest', in the region your relatives (including a great uncle, whom I believe I may have met when I was little) were born.  Of course I don't personally know anyone there. so it's not frightening in that regard, it's just very weird. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

55 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Penzey's features pretty strongly in my usual seasonings, and they make a bunch of salt-free blends that are quite nice. Last night's chicken got dusted liberally with Justice (I didn't name it!) which is fairly heavy on the garlic. So .. I /think/ I can manage? But figuring out how to do anything more ambitious than salad with baked chicken, or scrambled eggs (I can do this in the microwave; it's just tedious), is... a challenge, right now.

I use their salt free blends pretty heavily myself.  DH is in a similar situation, about the same age, weight, pre-diabetic, etc. minus any emergency hospital trips. 

When we had our kitchen remodel we made do with the grill and microwave, and a lot of paper plates.  Grilling may not be a thing you can do right now. We also ate a lot of rotisserie chickens in one form or another, bagged salads with stuff on top (tuna, chicken, etc), take out from the local middle eastern place (salads, gyros, etc) and stuff I prepped in advance (chili, stew, chicken pot pie).   A coffee pot will make hot water pretty fast. Or an electric kettle. Is there a friend or family member who will let you use their kitchen for a day so you can make up batches of stuff you only have to reheat at home? 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Bur it isn't beer.

It's a Cordial.

GEM

Beer makes me pretty cordial.  Martinis make me very cordial.  Screech, on the other hand, amplifies my dialect and makes me incomprehensible to mainlanders.  This may still be very cordial, as it also compels me to fill everyone nearby with tea and jam jams.  (Should I be particularly fond of you, you will get lemon creams)

• Haha 16

2 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes, I like my job, but I like my time off, too

You are much too nice to be a real wolf.  I think you're actually a Lab.  A Lab in wolf's clothing!  Think about it - you were in the navy.  Wolves don't like water, but Labs?  You can't keep a Lab out of the sea.  I'm on to you and your whole doghouse of lies, and the next time I'm near you in person I'm gonna throw a frisbee and blow your disguise.  

lab.jpg.83272e3d025abdeb5f3943971ceca2c3.jpg

• Haha 21

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

I use their salt free blends pretty heavily myself.  DH is in a similar situation, about the same age, weight, pre-diabetic, etc. minus any emergency hospital trips. 

When we had our kitchen remodel we made do with the grill and microwave, and a lot of paper plates.  Grilling may not be a thing you can do right now. We also ate a lot of rotisserie chickens in one form or another, bagged salads with stuff on top (tuna, chicken, etc), take out from the local middle eastern place (salads, gyros, etc) and stuff I prepped in advance (chili, stew, chicken pot pie).   A coffee pot will make hot water pretty fast. Or an electric kettle. Is there a friend or family member who will let you use their kitchen for a day so you can make up batches of stuff you only have to reheat at home? 

Technically, yes, but said friend is at least two hours drive away, provided the traffic cooperates. Family's nearer three ... or, you know, a whole day's worth of plane flight. 

I may end up biting the proverbial bullet and just dealing with the fact that using the insta-crock-pot means I have to wash the !#$&[email protected]% thing. I can use the oven, at least. 

We do not have a decent middle eastern place, which burns my biscuits something fierce, because I happen to LIKE gyros, and I can't GET ANY! RAWR! Also hard to find decent curry around here; the Good Curry Place is.. an hour? Two ? away... *grumble*

Meh. Pita isn't that hard to make. Neither's Naan, for that matter.... 

Grilling will be much, much, much easier as the weather warms up, and we like grilled .. really, everything, although we're still figuring out how to grill vegetables (it's charcoal, consistent heat is tricky). That said... spatchcocked gamehens are delicious, grilled. Really, most fowl is good that way. 

The electric kettle isn't a bad notion. I'll have to give that one some thought.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Beer makes me pretty cordial.  Martinis make me very cordial.  Screech, on the other hand, amplifies my dialect and makes me incomprehensible to mainlanders.  This may still be very cordial, as it also compels me to fill everyone nearby with tea and jam jams.  (Should I be particularly fond of you, you will get lemon creams)

B8WXMFYCcAA1zEY.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1