Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

20 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

I bought Ryobi tools for $100 (new)

I loved my Ryobi stuff, but I have to warn you not to overcharge the battery.  I don't know if Ryobi has since fixed the problem, but leaving the batteries on the charger had the nasty tendency to brick them.  I bricked two of mine that way and while trying to figure out what happened, discovered it was an alarmingly common issue.  This may or may not still be true, so being cautious won't hurt.  (My Ryobi stuff got written off in the fire)  I replaced my lost Ryobi with a Black & Decker set, mostly because it was on sale and handy moving back in, but I am quite lazy so I appreciate that the B&D battery packs are somewhat more robust when I leave them on charge for a day.  Week.  Month.  Ah hell, it's probably been two years now.  Maybe three,  I'm just gonna go unplug it while I think of it.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I loved my Ryobi stuff, but I have to warn you not to overcharge the battery.  I don't know if Ryobi has since fixed the problem, but leaving the batteries on the charger had the nasty tendency to brick them.  I bricked two of mine that way and while trying to figure out what happened, discovered it was an alarmingly common issue.  This may or may not still be true, so being cautious won't hurt.  (My Ryobi stuff got written off in the fire)  I replaced my lost Ryobi with a Black & Decker set, mostly because it was on sale and handy moving back in, but I am quite lazy so I appreciate that the B&D battery packs are somewhat more robust when I leave them on charge for a day.  Week.  Month.  Ah hell, it's probably been two years now.  Maybe three,  I'm just gonna go unplug it while I think of it.  

I've got some Ryobi 36V stuff and they don't seem to suffer from that problem. I don't know about the 18V stuff, though.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I loved my Ryobi stuff, but I have to warn you not to overcharge the battery.  I don't know if Ryobi has since fixed the problem, but leaving the batteries on the charger had the nasty tendency to brick them.  

18 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I've got some Ryobi 36V stuff and they don't seem to suffer from that problem. I don't know about the 18V stuff, though.

I've got some fairly early 18V stuff from a different brand and it had exactly the same problem with one of the charger types (funnily enough, the 'slow' charger, the rapid charger has never had that problem), but at the same time I suspect that they've all got a lot better are thermal control etc. for the batteries

• Like 6

Unexpected day off from work due to misfortune (nothing really serious, fear not). Gouged the bottom of my foot, didn't want to walk/stand on it for a long shift, risk reopening it and bleeding or possible infection from my work boots, or hazard tripping/slipping while walking on my toes on that foot, so I used flex time (what they call sick/emergency time off at work). Better safe than sorry, right? I have the next two days off, so it should be healed up enough that I can hopefully save my remaining flex hours.

Gave me a chance to sit on the couch and enjoy some time with Molly, who snuggled up beside me tail wagging. Best things in life are the simple things.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20220317

Right…so the same people that make the Artesano, Factory-Made, Faux Artisanal, bread produce it in a hot dog bun shape as well as the round shape. 

A3FA7453-03C8-427F-87B6-9311401BBA10.thumb.jpeg.4090b38e3f6663cf6b882f6bfd8a8d66.jpeg
But instead of using a hotdog, you can just throw some deli sliced roast beef, a pickle slice, and mustard in for a micro-sized sub sandwich. Or Is that a “mini-sub sandwich” ? Fork for scale. 

Might be a banana nut muffin in the background (upper left).

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

**Ever so slowly the Griffin catches up**

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20220318

Here we have the Artesano™️ brand sausage buns used for their intended purpose…

FCEDB7C4-643B-4B55-9E14-08D69CD825D1.thumb.jpeg.d835b6a110f28e078d6d7506a9951677.jpeg

…sheltering and protecting hot dogs (in this case bratwursts) until they can be chomped. Proper caption (as if I was a foodie):

Brats, on a bed of Shredded Cheese, topped by a Three Mustard Blend, encased in oversized Artisano buns. 

The nice thing about these buns is they are big enough they allow toppings and relish and other stuff to be added with some hope it will stay put when consumed. Typical hot dog buns fall apart or let things squish out the ends. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Day is meeting horror day!   started my day at 8am, meetings run until 9pm tonight.  I get a half hour for lunch and that is the only break I have today.  This Monday is not my friend!

I am also struggling with starting to paint again.  I feel like I lost my mojo somewhere along the way.  I got sick in December and I dont think i have spent more than 3 or 4 hours since painting.  I just cant get my interest back.  Spending way to much time just vegging in front of the TV and wondering where my life is going.  Of course it doesnt help that my knees feel like they are on fire most of the time, but still, seems unfair that I can't do what I want to.  Anyone have suggestions?  Other than the obvious, just go paint?

Hope everyone else is having a good monday!

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Anyone have suggestions?  Other than the obvious, just go paint?

Greetings from an adjacent boat. Meeting Monday for me as well.

Not sure what to suggest on the painting motivation. Been in a bad funk myself which has been overcome by “just doing it” but that hasn’t led to lasting motivation. Been playing chemist switching between small amounts of alcohol and much larger doses of caffeine. I really hate that after having a coffee, I start feeling like a functional human again. Happily, the rum made me less of a functional human so that shouldn’t lead to any dependency. But none of that is advice just commiserating. 

Advice wise, two things come to mind and both may not be workable. Sun and relocation. Such as a sunny window to paint near if it’s too cold outside. Some place that’s not a normal paint spot. Sun for getting charged up after winter and new place to break through the funk. 

Another suggestion would be to paint, but not minis. Maybe a tiny canvas. Rocks. Model cars or planes. Maybe even something entirely differently creative. I know you’ve got access to a good knitter. Felting. Paper art. Something different to get the juices flowing. 

Last advice? Acceptance. Don’t feel like painting? Then don’t! I’m not going to be disappointed in ya. You’re not doing this as a job or commission, so there’s no client to disapprove of your progress. Now’s the time to watch all of Gilligan’s Isle. In order. While wearing a Hawaiian shirt sipping pineapple juice. 

Or, you know, whatever that quirky lil’ brain comes up with. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Day is meeting horror day!   started my day at 8am, meetings run until 9pm tonight.  I get a half hour for lunch and that is the only break I have today.  This Monday is not my friend!

I am also struggling with starting to paint again.  I feel like I lost my mojo somewhere along the way.  I got sick in December and I dont think i have spent more than 3 or 4 hours since painting.  I just cant get my interest back.  Spending way to much time just vegging in front of the TV and wondering where my life is going.  Of course it doesnt help that my knees feel like they are on fire most of the time, but still, seems unfair that I can't do what I want to.  Anyone have suggestions?  Other than the obvious, just go paint?

What you describe sounds a lot like winter depression is part of your problem

Vitamin D might help.

On the pain front, know what you are going through and that it saps energy and interest in everything.

Hang in there my friend.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm starting to think Spring is a mythological creature.

We've had an unusually cold winter, with unusually high levels of snowfall. We've had 2, maybe 3 days of lovely weather in the past month. But it just keeps snowing!

Normally, half of the snow should have melted, not "Lets pile on more!"1403761428_Snow2022.jpg.f9bf38f791521635663d61e368fa49cb.jpg

The groundhog must pay!

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

@Kangaroorex maybe find a mini that you will never plan on playing. Just something fun. Maybe a rainbow unicorn, or a goblin in a hula skirt. Something funky, that will make you smile.

Anyway, around here the weather has perked up a bit and we are getting blossoms on our trees. Makes the place look a lot more inviting. Big project fpr today is "wet-molding" some holsters for my Cowboy Action Shooting. This is getting the leather soaked in hot water, then stuffing the gun that will go into it, in there so it fits exactly. Helps a lot when re-holstering after shooting whatever sequence we are on.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Totally with you on the painting front. Haven't touched anything for about the same time (except to buy more, of course). I'm just tired all the time. I'm going to try to find a mini that I really want to paint, something simple. Maybe that will help get the interest back.

• Like 10