Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

53 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Of course it doesnt help that my knees feel like they are on fire most of the time, but still, seems unfair that I can't do what I want to.

What is making your knees feel like they are on fire?  I join @Pegazus in commiseration; no it is not fair that a pair of joints will just betray you. 

For the painting, maybe your inner chemist might have some interest sparked by trying to reverse engineer contrast paints or speed paints. I have heard rumours about acrylic medium+flow improver+water+ink … but in what proportions?

• Like 7

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After two years of working from home my employer has decided to implement a digital sign in/out application instead of just, you know, trusting their employees. It has crashed 3 times since I tried to use it to sign in at 7 this morning. It won't let me sign out for lunch. And one of my coworkers said it's running so slow that when she tried to sign out early for the day it took about fifteen minutes for it to process her time out. Management is scrambling about trying to tell everyone to just be patient and wait for the app to process requests and the union is already yelling about that's tantamount to wage theft. I'm not an IT guy, but I imagine whoever decided they didn't need an initial roll out with a smaller group to iron out the bugs is getting an earful today. Me personally, I'm just going to keep noting my times on my calendar cause there's no way I'm trusting this thing to get my hours right for the week. Nothing like an agency wide problem on a Monday to keep things interesting. At least it's not my problem to fix!

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

What you describe sounds a lot like winter depression is part of your problem

Vitamin D might help.

On the pain front, know what you are going through and that it saps energy and interest in everything.

Hang in there my friend.

GEM

Vitamin D is something I already take.   the lackluster interest in everything is mainly due to losing my last adrenal gland over the holidays and having to get using pills to compensate.  Its a learning experience.  I appreciate the concern an the sympathetic condition! Worst part for me is its pretty much voluntary:  the drugs I take to mitigate my cancer, cause a weird form of arthritis that attacks the tendons and muscles in various joints (usually just one or two each time but quite painful none the less.) 

1 hour ago, TGP said:

What is making your knees feel like they are on fire?  I join @Pegazus in commiseration; no it is not fair that a pair of joints will just betray you. 

For the painting, maybe your inner chemist might have some interest sparked by trying to reverse engineer contrast paints or speed paints. I have heard rumours about acrylic medium+flow improver+water+ink … but in what proportions?

A variety of arthritis that attacks the tendons and ends of the muscles is my torch to bear.  Its a weird variety of arthritis that goes after the connective tissue between the joints and the muscles causing inflammation and the muscles to pull on the joints in funny ways.  It makes the joint ache and the muscles all around the joint very unhappy.  the worst part is the sad fact that the joints will fuse if they aren't exercised so in order to keep movement i have to keep moving the joint in the most painful direction. (I lost this battle with my neck, i am not going to lose again!)

On the positive side, I am literally living a quote from the Princess Bride:  "Life is Pain, anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something"  some of the drugs that keep me alive trigger flares of this condition.  but the alternative is a comfortable but very short lifespan! 😲

The inner chemist in me tends to shy away from playing with paint.  i have had a few experiments go badly and still more where i have made something interesting and then completely forgotten what I did.  neither of these is conducive to continuing....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

56 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Just finished packing the painting go-bag for the trip to Adepticon.  Driving tomorrow. 

I'll be wearing my same pizza dragon cap from Reapercon if anyone's about.

well, I'm Jealous.  Say high to the goodie bag for me!

• Like 6

Just got back from a trip to pain management and now have a diagnosis for the screaming pain in my left hip/leg.

Bursitis.

Doctor wants to do a course of physical therapy and see if that helps before moving on to drugs involving needles in the joint.

I can barely walk, and when I do it irritates the condition.

Such is life, and @Kangaroorex quoting Princess Bride is so right. 

On the "paint chemistry experiments", sometimes you get something usable, sometimes you get interesting colors of cottage cheese like material, without the nutritional value.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Today was an interesting day. It started with finally being able to catch a good movie from the beginning for the first time in months, that movie being Fallen (1998) with Denzel Washington. I haven't seen it since it came out, and had forgotten how good it was. Two hours later I get a knock at my door and find a kid about 15-18 years old I don't know. He tells me that he saw a black and white cat crawling under the house, and wanted to let me know it was there and that he had left it some food. I thanked him for the info and the feeding, thinking to myself that this solved the mystery of why I had been hearing scratching noises under the floor the last few weeks, and revising my plan to throw some mothballs down the burrow until I can hopefully lure out the Nesting Cat and determine whether or not it's taking a vacation from home or if it requires one.

One of the plot points in Fallen involves a cat underneath a cabin however, and the odds of seeing that in a movie two hours before learning I now have a cat under the house is a level of synchronicity I haven't had in a long while. I'm pretty sure that the cat isn't the demon Azazel because that title belongs to the mouse in the kitchen.

The mouse has so far resisted being lured into the live trap, ignoring peanut butter, seeds, nuts, saltines, cheese, goldfish crackers, and pretzels I've tried to bait it with. Either this thing is possessed by a fallen angel level of intelligence, or this is the pickiest eater in the history of mice. I discovered this morning it had gotten the mac n cheese boxes, and I'm half convinced it's just elfing with me by this point. So the morning my patience with the mouse starts to run thin...I learn I have theoretical access to a cat...almost as if the universe is attempting to balance itself here...

All I know is if I start to hear a squeaky little voice singing "Time is on my side" coming from the back of the cupboards I'm going to have to figure out a way to not only catch the mouse, but to deposit it somewhere more than 500 cubits from another living thing....

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Day is meeting horror day!   started my day at 8am, meetings run until 9pm tonight.  I get a half hour for lunch and that is the only break I have today.  This Monday is not my friend!

I am also struggling with starting to paint again.  I feel like I lost my mojo somewhere along the way.  I got sick in December and I dont think i have spent more than 3 or 4 hours since painting.  I just cant get my interest back.  Spending way to much time just vegging in front of the TV and wondering where my life is going.  Of course it doesnt help that my knees feel like they are on fire most of the time, but still, seems unfair that I can't do what I want to.  Anyone have suggestions?  Other than the obvious, just go paint?

Hope everyone else is having a good monday!

I haven't touched a bottle of paint for minis, since last August (month before RCon), so I know your feelings. Part of mine is of course the season, as the garage is not the best place to be in the winter, even with heater going.

Hopefully spring brings about more hobby time out there. Currently, out here after a afternoon of spray painting model parts that I've held off due to the season. Feels good.

My best advice is don't force it or you will not do it like you want. 

7 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'm starting to think Spring is a mythological creature.

We've had an unusually cold winter, with unusually high levels of snowfall. We've had 2, maybe 3 days of lovely weather in the past month. But it just keeps snowing!

Normally, half of the snow should have melted, not "Lets pile on more!"1403761428_Snow2022.jpg.f9bf38f791521635663d61e368fa49cb.jpg

The groundhog must pay!

As said in my above posting, I'm out in the garage enjoying a fantastic day here. It's around 55 degrees F. I'm enjoying these days before the "Gates of Hell" aka summer are upon us.

Sorry...:poke:

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Kangaroorex maybe find a mini that you will never plan on playing. Just something fun. Maybe a rainbow unicorn, or a goblin in a hula skirt. Something funky, that will make you smile.

Anyway, around here the weather has perked up a bit and we are getting blossoms on our trees. Makes the place look a lot more inviting. Big project fpr today is "wet-molding" some holsters for my Cowboy Action Shooting. This is getting the leather soaked in hot water, then stuffing the gun that will go into it, in there so it fits exactly. Helps a lot when re-holstering after shooting whatever sequence we are on.

Hmmmm, I kinda want that as a mini. Heck, I'd even play it as my character in a D&D game!

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

image.png.82a12c638708b275998cb82876c9c78f.png

Notice, he says "again" :lol:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Finished up meeting #9 for the day. Had 10 but that one was a double booked thing. Now with the tenth of an hour I have left in the day I may be able to do some work. 

Nope, you're going to need that time to schedule more meetings for tomorrow.::P:

• Haha 7