Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

So thanks to youtube music, discovered a new band (for me) today, Blacktop Mojo. Fantastic sound! I know what I'll be listening to the next couple days. ^_^

• Like 5

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Today was an interesting day. It started with finally being able to catch a good movie from the beginning for the first time in months, that movie being Fallen (1998) with Denzel Washington. I haven't seen it since it came out, and had forgotten how good it was. Two hours later I get a knock at my door and find a kid about 15-18 years old I don't know. He tells me that he saw a black and white cat crawling under the house, and wanted to let me know it was there and that he had left it some food. I thanked him for the info and the feeding, thinking to myself that this solved the mystery of why I had been hearing scratching noises under the floor the last few weeks, and revising my plan to throw some mothballs down the burrow until I can hopefully lure out the Nesting Cat and determine whether or not it's taking a vacation from home or if it requires one.

One of the plot points in Fallen involves a cat underneath a cabin however, and the odds of seeing that in a movie two hours before learning I now have a cat under the house is a level of synchronicity I haven't had in a long while. I'm pretty sure that the cat isn't the demon Azazel because that title belongs to the mouse in the kitchen.

The mouse has so far resisted being lured into the live trap, ignoring peanut butter, seeds, nuts, saltines, cheese, goldfish crackers, and pretzels I've tried to bait it with. Either this thing is possessed by a fallen angel level of intelligence, or this is the pickiest eater in the history of mice. I discovered this morning it had gotten the mac n cheese boxes, and I'm half convinced it's just elfing with me by this point. So the morning my patience with the mouse starts to run thin...I learn I have theoretical access to a cat...almost as if the universe is attempting to balance itself here...

All I know is if I start to hear a squeaky little voice singing "Time is on my side" coming from the back of the cupboards I'm going to have to figure out a way to not only catch the mouse, but to deposit it somewhere more than 500 cubits from another living thing....

If you hear a squeaky little voice in the back of the cupboard singing anything from Grand Opera to Funk you need to bend all efforts to inducing the owner of that voice to sign you on as their manager. Your fortune will be made, and the owner of the voice will be in "Cheddar" for the rest of their life.

GEM

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Finished up meeting #9 for the day. Had 10 but that one was a double booked thing. Now with the tenth of an hour I have left in the day I may be able to do some work. 

sympathies.  sounds like you had a day like mine.  I am just finishing my last meeting... hopefully sometime in the next hour.

the aggravation is gone...I leave the day with a whimper.

• Like 6

Speaking of meetings, I had a fun one today.

I had been scheduled for a couple of weeks to do a site visit for a customer today.  I arrive at site and start working. A couple of hours into it, I get a text from my client CEO asking me to call him.  I do, and he asks me if I'm planning on attending the online meeting for another customer that starts in 30 minutes.

"Uh, first I've heard of it," is my response.

He laughed. 

Turns out that this morning, some manager of an IT company assisting with an installation for a site decided that he & his employees, the site owner and her employees, the car wash distributor owner and his tech, plus myself and the CEO all needed to have a meeting. 

The CEO said the manager and site owner were annoyed that I was not part of the meeting. He told them "too bad." 

The "funny" part is that this manager's IT tech and I had already figured out what the issue was, and the steps & tools needed to address it on Friday.  The problem has been fixed, but now they have to wait until I'm back in the office tomorrow. 

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

So, today I discovered a...shortcut...to the basement at Pa Strawhat's house.  I don't recommend the experience.

1655797240_BasementShortcut.gif.45944ab0e649379339f9081805b30755.gif

I mean, I know I'm a chunk (350 lbs, 25 stone, 158 kg--or thereabouts), but that isn't supposed to happen.

Nothing more than a few scrapes and scratches to me--more shock than harm, and I'd much rather it was me than Pa Strawhat. 

Pa Strawhat (well into his 70s) claims he has the reflexes of a cat, though, and would have been fine.  :unsure:  I'm a little less confident.

• Like 4
  • Sad 15

On 3/20/2022 at 4:45 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Last night I dreamed that I was running a Marvel Superheroes campaign (a game that I have neither played nor run), set in ancient Rome.

I'd play that...

Ancient Rome means that I could probably get away with a wandering Gael, and gods know Irish legend is full of superheroes.

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, strawhat said:

So, today I discovered a...shortcut...to the basement at Pa Strawhat's house.  I don't recommend the experience.

I mean, I know I'm a chunk (350 lbs, 25 stone, 158 kg--or thereabouts), but that isn't supposed to happen.

Nothing more than a few scrapes and scratches to me--more shock than harm, and I'd much rather it was me than Pa Strawhat. 

Pa Strawhat (well into his 70s) claims he has the reflexes of a cat, though, and would have been fine.  :unsure:  I'm a little less confident.

Reflexes of a cat in a human body.

I can foresee all sorts of problems when it comes time to do the mid-air orientation to land on all four paws thing.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Nope, you're going to need that time to schedule more meetings for tomorrow.::P:

I happily have zero meetings I must attend. One meeting that I normally skip out on. Thought about taking a hobby day off but then remembered the certification paperwork I need to have done by Thursday (ha!). I laugh because they haven't even finished building what I'm supposed to be saying is good for flight. Hard to say somethings done when it's not.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, strawhat said:

I think I see the problem. And Nope, it is not that personnel involved were at least 25 stone. 

Check this picture:

image.jpeg.db75e2cd0a9633227a677747d7975e41.jpeg
This is what the rough in carpentry should look like for stairs. Big sturdy 2x8s or 2x10s at each edge of the stair and straight down the middle. With notches cut in them for each riser.  Not seeing evidence of proper structure in your picture. 

• Like 13

On 3/19/2022 at 9:05 PM, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Nice tools.

I have the Ryobi variable speed drill and it has given me good service while setting up our new house.

You are probably going to want extra batteries, watch for sales, especially on the two packs.

@ShadowRaven is right about the impact sockets.  Harbor Freight is a good place for these.

GEM

You can use impact sockets for regular duty but trying to use regular sockets for impact duty often ends up with broken sockets.

The impact sockets have thicker walls and are made from heat treatable steel.  They go through an extra process to make them stronger and more durable for impact use.

GEM

Starting to wonder if giving up my bonus batteries for a bigger discount was a smart idea or not..

On 3/20/2022 at 1:10 AM, TGP said:

image.png.7971bcb16db1f9cea603a726a6becc93.png
Pocket,

have you posted this picture in the Gardens-For-All thread?  (The one Inarah started…)

There is a whole thread for garden adventures and I think this would be welcome. 

Is the little shrub at the middle of the fence the lemon tree?

Yup. The little guy is a lemon tree. Going to nurture it to the best of my ability. First is to get rid of them weeds. >_<

I'll post into the gardening thread when i get my projects lined up. ^.^

On 3/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, Chaoswolf said:

As others have said, that's a nice set of tools.

I hope the blood stains weren't from using the tools.

Have a good Sunday, everyone!

Nah. Blood was from the nose. Woke up one morning drenched. Shirt, towel, pillow case. Sad face.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, Inarah said:

I got one for DH for cutting up tree limbs.  We have mature maples, oaks and others that drop branches regularly.  Also good for thinning shrubbery, which doesn't seem to be a problem you have.   If you need to cut a hole for a window a cordless saw will just about do the job on one battery charge.  Look for deals on saw blades too. 

Good idea about the blades.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, strawhat said:

Well at least you made your Perception check & didn't fall d6 x 10 feet damage!

• Like 7

Today is a fun day, it's:

National Bavarian Crepes Day,

National Goof Off Day, and

National 3-D day, so.............

It's time to goof off while eating Bavarian Crepes, while 3-D printing (or acquiring a 3-D printer).

• Like 9